Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 EX-L with 172k miles. The engine runs smoothly but has made a deeper more gutteral sound at idle than I recall it used to make. I cleaned out the EGR passages two weeks ago and then did a 1600 mile roundtrip drive to Disneyworld. The car averaged 23.5 mpg in moderately loaded, mostly flat highway running; not terrible but not great either. After my return this week, I jacked the car up to swap to winter tires and crawled underneath to do a quick general inspection. I found a copious rust colored residue all over the front & drivers side of the engine block which I traced to a canister that I think is the EGR valve. I don't recall this residue being there when I did my last oil change about two months ago so I think it must be related to the EGR passage cleaning. I'm posting some pics to illustrate the discharge and for some insight into the idle tone. I've gone ahead and ordered a new EGR valve and gasket along with a new PCV valve and intake manifold gasket. Is this something to worry about? Oil level is fine and the oil is still clear and golden after 2400 miles.

Engine idle clip - click on the image to play the clip

[URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/kelvinhao/odyssey/?action=view&current=0d5d94c3.mp4][/URL]

EGR valve pics with residue

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Weird, it looks like the EGR valve has been leaking out the top piece for awhile. If it's got a crack in it then I would think you'd hear a slight exhaust sound from it. Once you get the new one please dissect the old to see what's under the cover, maybe leaking at the solenoid? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. Something happened to my video link after the forum configuration update. Reposting the clip

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds much better

Just swapped the EGR, PCV valves and the intake manifold gasket and the guttural sound is gone. Engine is purring very quietly now. I'll clean up the block later and see if the brown residue reaccumulates. I took the top off the old EGR valve and there wasn't much to see.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Looking at your two pics, they are very different EGR valve. Look at the size of the pintle in the new compared to old one. :huh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts