Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 100 year old house. It's in great shape, wonderful place. Only problem is it has a set of very narrow garage doors and the new Odyssey is wider than our prior model and we barely get through by about half an inch on each side.

Does Honda sell a set of electronic sideview mirrors that'll fold so we can easily clear the garage opening? If not, anyone recommend a way that I can get this done either with a link to the parts or a shop in the NY metro area that can do a mod like this for us?

Each trip home is an adventure, need to make this go away.

Thanks.

BJ

·
Registered
427 Posts
We bought a 100 year old house. It's in great shape, wonderful place. Only problem is it has a set of very narrow garage doors and the new Odyssey is wider than our prior model and we barely get through by about half an inch on each side.

Does Honda sell a set of electronic sideview mirrors that'll fold so we can easily clear the garage opening? If not, anyone recommend a way that I can get this done either with a link to the parts or a shop in the NY metro area that can do a mod like this for us?

Thanks.

BJ
Just manually fold them in and out. It will save you time and a lot of $$.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What a shockingly electric answer! Sorry - jokes have been really corny lately.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd have my manservant do it for me but he gets nights and weekend's off.

I need an electronic solution to the problem. Anyone know what type of shop I should seek? Is this something you'd get from a car stereo type place or from a body shop? Not sure who would motorize my stock sideview mirrors, but that's what needs to happen.

BJ

·
Registered
632 Posts
Swap your side mirror mechanism with Japanese spec power folding mirrors. Many asian vehicles comes with it. My sis-in-law Isuzu Sportivo in Manila has standard power fold-in side mirrors.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It might be easier to buy a sienna that has that feature or widen your garage. Good luck with it.
A Sienna would probably be thin enough to clear without folding them in. This is another example of how IMO Honda didn't think the 4th gen design through well enough. The "lower and wider stance" is coming up as a problem so much I'm beginning to think it could be the PAX of 2011. My guess is that the 5th gen Ody will be upright once again.

But when it comes to your problem, I would try to find a motor to retrofit, I'm sure it is possible, but the question is, at what cost ;D. This also reminds me of another similar problem I had with an RV. In your situation, if you put some padding on each side of the garage doorway (I used a swimming pool "noodle") and put a thin strip of rubber horizontally across both mirrors, you could probably, very carefully drive forward and fold the mirrors as you drive in without any damage. Then you just have to fold them out. The fact that the mirrors are black would actually be beneficial in this case. I know its a long shot, but I figured I would mention it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A Sienna would probably be thin enough to clear without folding them in. This is another example of how IMO Honda didn't think the 4th gen design through well enough. The "lower and wider stance" is coming up as a problem so much I'm beginning to think it could be the PAX of 2011. My guess is that the 5th gen Ody will be upright once again.
I disagree. I think Honda overthought the design too much. That's why we have the polarizing "lightening bold design."

I like the low wide stance. The Odyssey drives so much better the the tall and narrower Sienna.

:nice:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd have my manservant do it for me but he gets nights and weekend's off.

I need an electronic solution to the problem. Anyone know what type of shop I should seek? Is this something you'd get from a car stereo type place or from a body shop? Not sure who would motorize my stock sideview mirrors, but that's what needs to happen.

BJ
:D

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Looking at a front-on photo of the 2011, it looks like the front fenders are mere inches inside of the mirrors. Even if you fold the mirrors, you would still have to be careful to not scrape the fenders.

·
Registered
786 Posts
While the wider stance may improve handling, I have a strong feeling that the main reason its wider is too accommodate the 3 car seats across the 2nd row. It seems though Honda was very determined to make that happen and made several sacrifices to do so.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thanks.

BJ
we have the same problem...old house/narrow driveway. the first couple of weeks i came very close to scrapping the mirrors...manually folded them in once or twice, but hated forgetting to re-open them up.

now i'm just much more used to the car's width and drive up and down the driveway no problem. still, would love the option of power side mirrors like the fancy makes (mercedes, bmw, etc)

·
Registered
652 Posts
That install is for the 1st gen Ody. I have the same problem as the 1st Gen ody easily fits my garage but the 3rd gen is mere inches on either side. It's a pain manually folding in/out the mirrors. I'll keep looking for motorized folding mirrors for the 3rd/4th Gen Odyssey.

·
Registered
395 Posts
now i'm just much more used to the car's width and drive up and down the driveway no problem. still, would love the option of power side mirrors like the fancy makes (mercedes, bmw, etc)
This would be my suggestion too—that is, to give it some time trying to get used to it, as I have. My initial solution was to manually fold down the two mirrors. Later I found that I could get by by just folding the one on the driver side, and then drive as close to the wall on the driver side as possible. I also try to keep the car as straight as possible before entering and the next day resist the urge to turn the steering wheel, knowing that if I just back out straight, everything will be all right. I am now used to the problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts

But when it comes to your problem, I would try to find a motor to retrofit, I'm sure it is possible, but the question is, at what cost ;D. This also reminds me of another similar problem I had with an RV. In your situation, if you put some padding on each side of the garage doorway (I used a swimming pool "noodle") and put a thin strip of rubber horizontally across both mirrors, you could probably, very carefully drive forward and fold the mirrors as you drive in without any damage. Then you just have to fold them out. The fact that the mirrors are black would actually be beneficial in this case. I know its a long shot, but I figured I would mention it. Good Luck.
Oh please. The Sienna is just an inch thinner. That's not enough to help. This generation is just huge.

His best bet is to try and find an int'l market motorized mirror and swap it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts