Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings, Last night, my headlights began pulsing: dim-bight-dim-bright. Then some instrument lights (ABS, skid warning light, red BRAKE light) began a slow on-off. I turned off all accessories (heated seats, heater, fan), no change. Engine RPM did not seem to pulse. Returned home after 4 miles at 40mph. All lighting continued to pulse while idling in driveway. I am thinking a failed alternator? New battery last winter. I might do a load test on the battery before AAA arrives to transport it to a dealer nearby. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the outcome? Thank you in advance. UPDATE: Battery @ 12.53 w/ engine off. With engine running the battery voltage varies wildly between 13 & 17volts. There is a low-pitched pulsing sound when engine is running.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Car

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
alternator sounds about right... mine failed at around 105k, was making a whining sound and fluctuating voltages.
changed it with a denso from rockauto.com.
only use denso's on these vehicles.

load and resistance testing the battery is also a good idea.

also, there was a tsb for an issue with the alternators where a screw came loose and would cause an issue exactly as you describe.
related post...

im curious if anyone has done this fix with the alternator on the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
alternator sounds about right... mine failed at around 105k, was making a whining sound and fluctuating voltages.
changed it with a denso from rockauto.com.
only use denso's on these vehicles.

load and resistance testing the battery is also a good idea.
Mileage is currently 144k. I guess my alternator doesn't owe me anything more.
Thanks for the reply.. Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts