Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Electrical Help!!!

2018 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Buffalo4
I have a 2001 Odyssey with problems. I found that if the car sits for 2-3 days without being driven, the battery is dead. the battery checked out okay (it's fairly new) and the alternator is pushing 14.? volts when running. I don't know if this may be related but I noticed that while driving several dash "idiot" lights come on the go off. The frequency is random and the duration varies as well. Bumps in the road have no effect. The lights that come on seem to be TCS, Brake, Oil (I believe), Seat Belt, and Door open indicators (all 5). Could I have a short/bad rely in a certain circuit? Also, odometer light doesn't work. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer and have them chase the problem? I don't know if I have that much money :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Check your driver side sliding door. If the lock seems to auto lock itself when try to open, the gas cover switch may have failed. When that happens, it will surely drain your battery fast. Test the switch. Open the gas door, press on the switch. If it doest seems to kick back solidly, its probably broken.

· Registered
5,068 Posts
re dash lights, your brake fluid is likely low in the resevoir, check the level.

+1 on the gas door...sliding doors can also cause a parasitic drain..

do a search in the gen 2 forum for parasitic drain.

start pulling fuses by process of elimination, until you uncover the circuit causing the drain.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Open your gas door, on the right side (inside), you will see a small plastic pin with a rubber boot sticking out. That is the switch that locks the sliding door when you gas up. So you won't accidentally open the sliding door and hit the pump nozzle.

· Registered
5,068 Posts
The TCS and doors work together.

the system needs to know whether the vehicle is in motion or not to disable the power sliding doors from operating.

as nitely mentioned the gas door has a switch that tells the system not to open the power sliding door, while you have the gas door open and gas pump nozzle in the filler hole.
this is another safety feature.

I would start by cleaning up all the door contacts on your sliding doors with a mild scotch brite pad and grease up the tracks and cables, and use some vinyl protectant to clean all the door seals top and edges and bottom.

your doors may be sending mixed signals which causing the dash lights, esp when driving when the body twists from bumps etc and the contacts on the doors are dirty and corroded.

bit confused on the brake and oil lights, check your battery posts for corrosion and if they are on tight.

· Registered
2003 EX-L
3,907 Posts
Hey everyone that replied. Thanks for the input. Sounds like I have a little work on my agenda tomorrow. Thanks again for the suggestions. I hope this works. I'll post the outcome.
Don't forget to check the obvious. Corroded or loose battery cable connections to the battery posts.
Also, a poor or corroded grounding point will make certain dash warning lights to come on.
Buffalo4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.