Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have installed their video system :

How did you guys wire your monitors ? Did you guys wire them to the Acc/On or wire them to the battery through a switch ?
I want to wire it to the Acc/On and have it turned on everytime I turn on my car. But I have heard that when starting the engine, it takes quite a lot of power which could sort out any electrical devices that are connected to the battery. Anyone has more information about it ? I don't want my monitor to sort out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tapped into the main accessory wire that runs to the steering column. It's a thick white/black wire that's bundled with some other very important wires in a thick plastic sleeve, (not wire loom). You'll see these thick solid wires with stripes.
Solid White(12V)
Black/white(starter)
Black/yellow(ignition)
Yellow(2nd ignition)
White/Black(Accessory).
I'm sure you can find a wiring diagram somewhere around here to double check my colors. My particular monitor gets power whenever the key is in acc. position but the monitor doesn't turn on until it gets a video signal through the RCA jack.
It'll be easier to run your power wire to the steering column rather than the battery. Also make sure you use an online fuse near the wire or terminal you tap into.
I don't think that you'll short anything when you start the van because electrical power is cut off of your accessories during starting. You'll see this if you watch your dash and radio while the starter is turning.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I guess the headlights and the interior lights are wired directly to the battery because whenever I start the engine, all the lights went dim and goes back to bright after the engine is on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As suggested above, its a good idea to tap your accessories off the radio fuse or cigarette lighter fuse. These circuits are usually not critical, and if it blows, you will immediately know which fuse it is because your radio or dome lights will cease to function. If you wire to the car's accessory wires without experience and without fuses, if your connections are poor or your accessory blows, it may interrupt the flow to other critical components of your car.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I have couple wiring questions for all the DIY gods out there,

I have a in-dash Pioneer AVX-P7000R 7" monitor, AVM8000 brain, AVIC-505 navigational unit, Jenson KVM68U flip down roof monitor, and Sony VCP. And may be more monitors later on for the headrests.

As you can see these setup, there are so many battery leads (+) from all these units (monitor, brain, gps, and vcp) to connect to. If I connect all the battery leads from these units to the audio harness, I am pretty sure that I will overload the wire from the harness. Should I find different hot leads for each unit? Can I spice all the battery leads to one ignition wire from the sterring column?

Does anyone recommend running one single thick wire from the main battery to a distribution block, like wiring a amp? This way, all units battery power wires can connect to the distribution block. I also heard that wiring directly to the battery might drain the battery, recommendation is to spice wire from the fuse block, this way it is taking battery power that is connected to the alternator.

I would think a lot of other Ody owners would benefit from my questions.

Help please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
To those that have installed their video system :

How did you guys wire your monitors ? Did you guys wire them to the Acc/On or wire them to the battery through a switch ?
I want to wire it to the Acc/On and have it turned on everytime I turn on my car. But I have heard that when starting the engine, it takes quite a lot of power which could sort out any electrical devices that are connected to the battery. Anyone has more information about it ? I don't want my monitor to sort out.

</font>
I wired mine into the cigerette outlet in the front. It is a 10 Amp circuit so you shouldn't overload it. Also, the radio antenna lead is located right behind this panel so it was a nice place to locate my FM modulator. Didn't even have to remove the radio!

I wired in both power and ground to the outlet and now my Jensen unit is having problems (cuts out and have to recycle power every 30mins or so). I'm not sure if it's a power problem or if it's defective. Can't get Jensen to answer the phone to help me. Jensen recommends that you wire ground to the vehicle chassis. I can't imagine that it would make a difference, but maybe I'll try to find a metal bolt to attach my ground.

Warehouse

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Pioneer GPS unit, that is why I posted my questions earlier. It reset itself every once in a while. And was told by Pioneer that I might overload the wire. By looking at the Helm's manual, the cigarette lighter is sharing the same circuit with the audio harness. I will try to wire the GPS unit by taping to one of fuses in the fuse block tonight to see if it make any difference.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about if I directly tap the monitors and the vcr/ps to the battery with a switch ?
If I have my vcr and PS on and then turn on my engine, will the suddenly power draw from the engine affect the vcr or any electronics devices that are connected to it ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
so I guess the headlights and the interior lights are wired directly to the battery because whenever I start the engine, all the lights went dim and goes back to bright after the engine is on.</font>
Woops, sorry I forgot to specify which accessories when I said "electrical power is cut off of your accessories during starting"
Will be extra careful next time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We have had problems in the past with 'sensitive' electrical devices being hooked up through the cigarette lighter plug (devices like computer controlled products) which would get confused with amp draws. When wired to a better power source, the problems went away.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
14 Posts
So the question remains. Where is the best place to hook in?

Rollie66 seems to have a working unit and I believe that he hooked into the fuse box somewhere. Are you still around Rollie66? We need your help!!!!

I still think that I might have a defective unit because I removed it and tried to run it off of a bench power supply with the same results.

Warehouse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts