Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever been in a situation where you have mapped out a merge into fast moving traffic, checked the rear view, checked the side view, are accelerating to the appropriate speed, put on your signal, and are about to move into that tight spot when: YOUR SPOUSE WIGGS OUT, you hesitate, your opportunity is lost, and now you really ARE in trouble?

This happened to me the other evening trying to merge into traffic, leaving us traveling about 60mph into a 25mph hairpin exit. For all the pandemonium of the moment, the rapid swerve and quick deceleration through the exit turn was almost anticlimactic. The Odyssey performed flawlessly, entering the turn about 50mph and continuing to decelerate through it. The worst part was when I almost didn’t stop at the light at the bottom of the exit hill because I was so rattled from all the chaos.

Had we been in our 4Runner I am sure we would have been in BIG trouble. Thank you Honda for designing such a sure footed, safe 7 passenger vehicle. Next time ... err, well, I promised there wouldn’t ever be a next time ...

------------------
  • ’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
  • ’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend
TNUCKELS

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
This happened to me the other evening trying to merge into traffic, leaving us traveling about 60mph into a 25mph hairpin exit. For all the pandemonium of the moment, the rapid swerve and quick deceleration through the exit turn was almost anticlimactic. The Odyssey performed flawlessly, entering the turn about 50mph and continuing to decelerate through it. The worst part was when I almost didn’t stop at the light at the bottom of the exit hill because I was so rattled from all the chaos.</font>
tnuckels, glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

Oh believe me, I've had that happened to me a couple of time. Taking a tight turn at 50mph which was supposed to be 20mph...tires screeching/wailing VERY LOUDLY (as if the entire neighborhood can hear it)...push on the brake pedal like you've never thought you would...balancing the steering-wheel - (not too in-ward but not too out-ward)

... GASP~!!! finally made it through the whole 5 seconds of cold-sweating, adrenaline-pumping and blood-rushing-to-your-brains...of hell.

I am just happy that our Ody is sure-footed enough to keep us from harm's way.
Anyway, didnt the NHTSA rate the Ody 4-star for rollover resistance??? Hehe...wait til you find out what they rate the FORDS.

P/S...people, please drive safely this winter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tnuckels:
...and are about to move into that tight spot when: YOUR SPOUSE WIGGS OUT, you hesitate, your opportunity is lost, and now you really ARE in trouble?
</font>
My wife does that all the time, in any and all situations where I'm driving, and multiple times in the same car ride. She won't be looking at the road, and when she looks up she'll see the brakelights of the car in front and FREAK OUT...the huge gulp of air, hands on the dashboard, legs all stiffened out like I'm doing 120 about to smash into a brick wall! Of course I've been paying attention (because I'm driving) and am going about 5 mph at an almost near stop as she's prying her fingernails out of the dashboard. It really tick's me off, and she never seems to understand how much it rattles me. I keep looking around to see if I'm missing something that is going to kill us all. I also think that she belives that every car that merges, or is at a stop sign is going to smash right into our van.

Anyway tnuckels, I am glad to see that you're OK and that the Ody was able to perform for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I totaly agree wih all of you, that Honda sure made a van that hugs the road. My wife thinks that I drive this van like a Honda Civic. Well it handles definitely like a car!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My wife does the same thing to me. I make what I feel is a safe maneuver, she looks up and screams - rattling me thinking I didn't see something. Most of the time I have patience, now she just does her crossword books or reads books to me outloud. We're both happier now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
According to my wife I always drive too fast except for those occasions when I'm driving too slow. I can't tell you how many times she has shreiked and I've thought I was about to hit an infant who had wandered into the street. Then it turns out we were just near a big pothole I was in the process of skirting.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts