Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted in the problems forum too:

I have a 2000 Oddy Ex with 20,000 miles on it. Last night, while driving around town the "emissions/exhaust" warning light came on. The manual says in that event, to take the Oddy in for service or your engine could be damaged...
Ok, my question is what the hell does this warning light signify? Is it a real problem or a bogus thing made up so I have to cough up more $$$ to Honda? I am mad as fire - I already paid enough for this van. I don't want it crapping out on me now! Has anyone else had this problem happen to them?

·
Registered
301 Posts
My guess would be that it indicates that the oxygen sensor(s) need to be looked at. Since they work on a chemical reaction they do not last forever but if this warning light just comes on at certain mileage then it is an annoyance. It is is probably just indicating that the emmissions system should be looked at as a preventative measure although the system may be fine.

Don't blame Honda for these things all manufacturers have to install the OBDII systems in there vehicles. If you don't like it lobby your government.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There's a federal mandate on emissions warranty. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it's around 100K miles now.

I wouldn't worry about an emissions warning light. It's nothing you'll have to pay for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just received today (11-26) an emissions warranty extension from Honda for the EGR valve in the engine's intake manifold. They say certain basic chemical properties of gasoline may cause the problem (clogging) in the port or the valve. The warranty has been extended to 8 years 80,000 miles. Sounds like EGR to me since your engine light is on. Warranty is for 99-01 Odyssey

·
Registered
134 Posts
some Automakers (daimler/Chrysler I know for sure) design that little "emmissons check" light on the dash to come on when your odometer hits a given mark. It's to force you to go to the dealer to change your oxygen sensor and deactivate the light. The stupid thing is that your O2 sensor could still be good. Or any of a number of other sensors could be bad (throttle position, Mass Air Flow etc),or Axel Foley may have put a banana in your tailpipe. On the Ody, you may be able to deactivate the light yourself with a series of ignition turn-on-turn-offs. I don't know the secret code though.

Also, adam is right about the federal emissions mandate. My SE-R failed emmisions at 4 years old and the dealer told me they had to make it right for free.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup:

Took in the Oddy to the local dealership and they reported the same warranty information that you guys brought up. Also, the problem (in our case) was that the gas cap had not been tighten up adequately. Sometimes, when that happens, it will trigger the emissions light. I did find out that when the light comes on, the dealership service folks have to turn it off.

Anyway, it was all for free so Honda is back in my good graces again.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keysi:
Followup:

Took in the Oddy to the local dealership and they reported the same warranty information that you guys brought up. Also, the problem (in our case) was that the gas cap had not been tighten up adequately. Sometimes, when that happens, it will trigger the emissions light
</font>
When I took delivery of my '01 LX, my saleman warned me that the gas cap was a possible cause of the emmissions light coming on if not tightened properly. I was a bit skeptical when he said that but I told him, "OK." It's nice to know he wasn't making this stuff up. I've always given the cap a good 180 degree twist after the ratcheting starts and have not had any problems.

I'm glad to hear that your problem was that simple to solve.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts