Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The factory original battery in our 2015 EX has finally made it crystally clear that it has had enough. So after 4 years and 8 months of reliable service (and right before a predicted nasty cold snap that I was afraid might do it in completely) I replaced the OEM battery with an Energizer Max AGM battery from Costco.

The replacement procedure itself was straightforward. I worked slowly because I was washing and cleaning the battery tray, cover and retainer bracket as I removed them. That also gave me an excuse to come inside and warm up my fingers - today's a cold one to be working on the van, even in the garage. The van was without battery power for about half an hour but even so, none of the settings (except for the clock) were lost. When I buttoned everything back up and started the van, the stereo prompted me immediately to hold the Power button for two seconds. It really couldn't be easier.

I've started this thread really to talk more about how the Energizer Max battery does in our van. I tried to search here for impressions and reviews but I didn't find any. When I asked the Google machine for reviews, they came back pretty positive, so combined with aggressive Costco pricing and a generous return policy if things don't go well, I figured this battery was a pretty safe bet. It came out only about $25 more than the Interstate MTP series that has served me well in the past (the price difference between the flooded MTP and the cheaper AGMs is usually at least $50 here in Calgary, and I'm just too cheap for that.)

Before:

20200110_170655.jpg

After:

20200110_174905.jpg

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have considered installing an AGM battery in our 2011 Odyssey in the past but I was concerned about battery life due to high temperatures in the engine compartment. We live in the southern US where summer high temps can be in the 90s for all summer. This concern was amplified when we bought a 2019 Pilot that has a factory AGM battery. The battery is mounted inside a sealed compartment with a cooling fan that takes in air near the air scoop. This implied to me that the factory AGM required additional cooling that the 2011 Odyssey does not provide.

So, I did some enginerd reading to see if there was a concensus. Here are some credible things I found for everyones consideration:

“There is one clear trend: Many of the highest-scoring are pricey absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries, known for having a long service life and being able to tolerate deep discharges—when the battery has been significantly drained to 10.5 volts or below, such as when the lights are left on overnight.
“If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, and are looking for a maintenance-free battery, consider getting an AGM,” CR’s Banta says. “While AGM batteries can also be affected by high heat, they tend to perform better overall than other sealed batteries in our tests.”
He adds, “We have seen that most of the AGM batteries excel in our heat-focused life testing, based on 15 weeks of continuous testing at over 160 degrees. And the latest batch now being tested looks very promising.””

“AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F).”

“Lead-calcium AGM batteries are similar to lead-calcium flooded batteries as both have continuous grid corrosion (galvanic corrosion) and this issue is increased due to high heat. Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) AGM batteries do not have this continuous galvanic grid corrosion and as a result have a 10- to 12-year design life.”

I suggest that the Consumer Reports test results and recommendations are very compelling for AGM batteries. They conduct real testing to simulate hot weather operation “Battery life is measured by repeatedly discharging and recharging at a test temperature above 160° F for 15 weeks or until performance drops to unacceptable levels. This simulates the summer temperatures a battery can face in the engine bay.”

I also thought it was interesting that an AGM made it in the top 5 for the size 24 ones that they tested, The dot icons are for Life, Reserve Capacity, and CCA in that order, green with 2 chevrons is Excellent.

Group 24 & 24F car batteries

OVERALL SCORE
Add to Compare
NAPALegend Premium 8424F9
Recommended
Price: $130

NAPA  Legend Premium 8424F<a class=footNotes><sup>9</sup></a>
Life: Excellent

Reserve capacity: Excellent

CCA: Excellent

OVERALL SCORE
Add to Compare
DieHardGold 50823 EP-24F (North)1
Recommended
Price: $140

DieHard  Gold 50823 EP-24F (North)<a class=footNotes><sup>1</sup></a>

OVERALL SCORE
Add to Compare
DieHardGold 50923 (South)1
Recommended
Price: $140

DieHard  Gold 50923 (South)<a class=footNotes><sup>1</sup></a>

OVERALL SCORE
Add to Compare
DuralastPlatinum 24F-AGM
Recommended
Price: $190

Duralast  Platinum 24F-AGM

Reserve capacity: Very Good

OVERALL SCORE
Add to Compare

So, a bunch of information but no real world experience. I recently purchased a NAPA Legend Premium for our 2006 Pilot when it reached 3 years on the previous battery based on the Consumer Reports testing and ranking. I plan to consider purchasing a AGM type battery (maybe the pure lead plate type that Odyssey Battery is pushing) when the 2011 Ody or 2019 Pilot needs a battery replaced in the future.

I would love to hear some real world AGM battery experiences, especially hot weather climates. It would be great for them to last longer than flooded, but I have gotten in the habit of replacing them every 36 months or 100% warranty expiration date to just avoid any possible unplanned replacement (when wife is mad because car wont start...). It is not that much hassle to swap them out on a planned basis - can do in 5 minutes in auto parts store parking lot... The possible longer life of AGM may not outweigh their higher cost, but I think I will try out one on my personal vehicle in the future for fun... Yeah I know I need to find a better hobby....ha ha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also some interesting info on the Consumer Reports top rated battery (in group size 24F):

The NAPA Legend Premium battery is a NAPA labelled
East Penn Mfg., Co.
Manufacturer Part Number724FMF
per NAPAs website.

These are sold directly as the Deka Ultimate 724FMF.

I bought one from NAPA form the 2006 Pilot and itsure looks a lot like the AC Delco Golds that I used to buy, same plastic case design, handles, terminals, even the sticker printing.

Just some info for people sticking with conventional flooded batteries.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a Duralast Gold from Autozone in my 2012 van now that is 4 years 3 months old right now. My original OEM battery went out a little after 3 years which seems common for the oem batteries. I thought these vans were bad on batteries, and expected to have to replace them every 3 years -- I'm now thinking that the OEM batteries are just junk though.

I did put an AGM battery in my other car since I got a good price on it. I've only had it for a little over 3 years though, so not sure yet how it compares to the original battery. The battery is in the trunk in that car and the standard OEM battery lasted about 6 years, so hoping to get at least that long.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Every 4 years, trip to Costco, buy new battery, then next trip, return for core refund. Got tired of inconvenience of
dead battery, after 4 years. (happened twice).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
We got tired of the constant failures with the Honda battery in our 05 and threw in the towel as well. Currently have a flooded battery of some sort in our 16. Anyway - I've run AGM batteries for many years in my Subaru's (an 02 WRX, and now a 12 Legacy) with no issues - this is in the southwest where it's often pretty toasty in the summer. I had an Optima red top for many years in the 02, and have had a Bosch AGM battery in the legacy for the past 4 years (at the time, it replaced the OEM battery which had been in there for 4.5 years and was getting weak in the winter).

East Penn Manufacturing is a great company - I'd buy a Deka AGM battery in a heartbeat, but they aren't very common around here.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input folks - I appreciate it. Please keep it coming.

Being that I live in western Canada, extreme cold is a bigger problem for me than extreme heat - the overnight low for this coming Tuesday is predicted to be -34°C (-29°F) with a daytime high of -26°C (-15°F). The van will spend the whole day parked outside, so I'm going to get a chance to test out the cold cranking amps very soon.

I'll keep posting here from time to time, to keep a record for myself as well as help out anyone else.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good thread...I am coming up on 5 years next month with my OEM battery in my '15 EX. I guess the lack of rear entertainment and power liftgate helps in my situation. I do top off the battery once in a while on the maintainer though.
I assume you didn't supply another source of power during the swap, and the only issue was with the radio needing to be powered up for 2 seconds after connecting the new battery? No loss of preset stations or other settings? I had read in lots of other posts that disconnecting the battery caused all kinds of other issues, so it's a good sign that your swap went smoothly when it comes time for me to change my battery.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thought about setting up a backup power supply (because I have read those same trouble stories as you) but honestly, I lost motivation. I've swapped car batteries more times than I can count and never did that, so I figured I'd try it my way again and deal with anything that went sideways. It would make a good story for Odyclub no matter which way it went.

My van was completely without electricity for close to 30 minutes and the only things I had to do after starting the engine were hold the Power button on the stereo for two seconds and reset the clock. Every other setting and customization, from radio presets to lock and light preferences to Bluetooth pairings, was retained.

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
From what I have read, the newer vans do not require an idle relearn procedure unless a PCM module is replaced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here are my thoughts on batteries based on experience in multiple hondas/acuras- i have owned a CRX, 2 integras, 2 pilots, an Acura TL, and 2 Odysseys. sorry i have never had experience with the Energizer AGM battery but i thought i would throw my experience in the conversation.
OEM Honda - great if you're the original purchaser. battery itself is junk but the dealership will warranty it IF you are the original purchasher
O'reilly super start - not much better, O'reillys charges a high pro-rated amount
Wal mart ever start - decent for the money paid. Keep your receipt and exchange if it dies prematurely
Napa Gold - pretty good, about the same as ever start
Interstate = lasted about as long as the O'reillys super start. I didnt exchange for a new one because i hate Kyle Busch. :p
For the price i tend to lean towards the Wal Mart batteries. they have given me the least trouble and seem to have the best pro-rated warranty , based on my limited research. it seems like when i get in a pinch for a battery, it happens out of the blue and at the worst time, and i don't have much time to research or shop around, unfortunately.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Our Odysseys are power hogs!! I've been running the Deka Ultimate 724FMF in my Odys for several years now. They hold up much better than the Honda OEM!! Got a Deka in my John Deere tractor/snowblower too! It sits in a cold barn all the time, and Deka starts it up the first turn over!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our Odysseys are power hogs!! I've been running the Deka Ultimate 724FMF in my Odys for several years now.
The ”NAPA The Legend Premium“ 24F battery is a Deka (East Penn Mfg Co.) 724FMF if you are looking for a convenient place to buy one (not sure where Deka is sold in my area). Even available at NAPA Canada for our Canadian friends. The “NAPA The Legend Premium AGM” is also a Deka 9A24F AGM type if you want one of those.

Just some info that might help someone out. Hey NAPA - can I get my discount coupon now? Ha ha.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The ”NAPA The Legend Premium“ 24F battery is a Deka (East Penn Mfg Co.) 724FMF if you are looking for a convenient place to buy one (not sure where Deka is sold in my area). Even available at NAPA Canada for our Canadian friends. The “NAPA The Legend Premium AGM” is also a Deka 9A24F AGM type if you want one of those.

Just some info that might help someone out. Hey NAPA - can I get my discount coupon now? Ha ha.
Thanks for this information - NAPA should give you a coupon. ?

I just took a look at the NAPA Canada website and man oh man, you'd need a pretty generous coupon for that battery to make sense. NAPA's The Legend Premium AGM costs a little more than double what I paid for the Energizer Max at Costco ($375.79 vs $185.99). ?

I'll accept that the NAPA battery is probably better quality than the Costco one, but I'd find it hard to believe it's twice as good. If I get 5 or more years reliable service out of the Energizer Max on the power-hog Odyssey, I will be happy. I feel like that's setting the bar pretty low - the OEM battery made it nearly 5 years. I'd need a lot more from the NAPA battery for the value calculation to make sense.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for this information - NAPA should give you a coupon.

I just took a look at the NAPA Canada website and man oh man, you'd need a pretty generous coupon for that battery to make sense. NAPA's The Legend Premium AGM costs a little more than double what I paid for the Energizer Max at Costco ($375.79 vs $185.99).

I'll accept that the NAPA battery is probably better quality than the Costco one, but I'd find it hard to believe it's twice as good. If I get 5 or more years reliable service out of the Energizer Max on the power-hog Odyssey, I will be happy. I feel like that's setting the bar pretty low - the OEM battery made it nearly 5 years. I'd need a lot more from the NAPA battery for the value calculation to make sense.
If I'm not mistaken, Costco carries the Interstate in an AGM.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If I'm not mistaken, Costco carries the Interstate in an AGM.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Not in Canada. We get either the Kirkland flooded battery or the Energizer Max AGM. I'd love to get the kind of selection you guys do in the States - for lots of things, not just car batteries.

Although it could be that the Energizer Max is a Johnson Controls battery - I'm not totally sure. The label on my battery says "Distributed by Clarios, Milwaukee, WI". Clarios is what Johnson Controls Power Solutions (JCI's former battery business) goes by these days. So maybe it is basically an Interstate AGM relabelled as an Energizer? I'd be OK with that. Interstate batteries have always been good to me in the past.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Every 4 years, trip to Costco, buy new battery, then next trip, return for core refund. Got tired of inconvenience of
dead battery, after 4 years. (happened twice).
I may just start doing this too. I just posted the other day in this thread how my battery was 4 yrs 3 months and still going.... it died yesterday. I cleaned the van out yesterday and had the radio on. I usually start it up and let it run for a little after doing that, but forgot. Wife went to drive it and it wouldn't start. Wouldn't start with a jump either, so I just went and bought an Autocraft Gold 24F with 750 CCA for $119.99 @ Advance Auto. Found a 25% coupon code online "RMNCC", bought it online and picked up in store. At least it died in my driveway and didn't leave anyone stranded.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not in Canada. We get either the Kirkland flooded battery or the Energizer Max AGM. I'd love to get the kind of selection you guys do in the States - for lots of things, not just car batteries.

Although it could be that the Energizer Max is a Johnson Controls battery - I'm not totally sure. The label on my battery says "Distributed by Clarios, Milwaukee, WI". Clarios is what Johnson Controls Power Solutions (JCI's former battery business) goes by these days. So maybe it is basically an Interstate AGM relabelled as an Energizer? I'd be OK with that. Interstate batteries have always been good to me in the past.
Replaced my battery a few month ago with an Interstate battery from Costco. At least at my local store in the Chicago area there was only this battery offered (in different group sizes) and it is a normal flooded battery. They haven't carried Kirkland batteries here for probably over 5 years and I have never seen Energizer car batteries there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
FYI Costco's battery finder system will not show an Interstate brand battery for the Odyssey because the 24F was not a flush cap but raised. Is this why you went with the AGM? The Costco guy told me they didn't have a battery for the Odyssey (Ours is 2005) at first then I pointed to about 7 group 24F's they had on the shelf. I'm still undecided on AGM. For the Odyssey I went with the Interstate (flooded) at Costco because it's dirt cheap for a solid battery. But in my Mazda 3 I went with an AGM (Champion) replacement because of a PepBoys $50 black Friday rebate. Only time will tell if the AGM is legit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts