Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FYI Costco's battery finder system will not show an Interstate brand battery for the Odyssey because the 24F was not a flush cap but raised. Is this why you went with the AGM?
To be honest, I was never going to buy the Kirkland flooded battery so I didn't really pay any attention to it. For me, it was a decision between either the Energizer AGM from Costco or an Interstate MTP-24F at a local auto parts store not far from my home, both of which were going to fit just fine. Now you've got me curious what I would have found had I really wanted the Kirkland battery.

The Costco guy told me they didn't have a battery for the Odyssey (Ours is 2005) at first then I pointed to about 7 group 24F's they had on the shelf. I'm still undecided on AGM. For the Odyssey I went with the Interstate (flooded) at Costco because it's dirt cheap for a solid battery. But in my Mazda 3 I went with an AGM (Champion) replacement because of a PepBoys $50 black Friday rebate. Only time will tell if the AGM is legit.
I agree with you there - time will tell whether the AGM battery is worth the extra expense. I'm hopeful that it will handle the engine-off demands of the power sliding doors and the power front seats better than the factory battery (I'm six inches taller than my wife so the seats are moved quite a bit every time we switch drivers).

·
Registered
319 Posts
To be honest, I was never going to buy the Kirkland flooded battery so I didn't really pay any attention to it. For me, it was a decision between either the Energizer AGM from Costco or an Interstate MTP-24F at a local auto parts store not far from my home, both of which were going to fit just fine. Now you've got me curious what I would have found had I really wanted the Kirkland battery.

I agree with you there - time will tell whether the AGM battery is worth the extra expense. I'm hopeful that it will handle the engine-off demands of the power sliding doors and the power front seats better than the factory battery (I'm six inches taller than my wife so the seats are moved quite a bit every time we switch drivers).

Pep Boys has been selling Champion and Bosch-branded AGM batteries at a discount for some time, but the retail price has gone up by $10 to $199.99. They both have a four year free-replacement warranties, which is longer than other brands of AGM's usually offer. Then, they have been giving 25% off of any size battery every month, bringing the cost to $149.99 plus tax. Then, they offer a $40 Pep Boys reward card on top of that, so the battery costs $110. I do not like rewards cards but I have learned I can pay some of my bills by phone using these rewards cards.

I use two AGM H-8's in parallel for my computer's 24 volt battery backup system, and hopefully I can get 8-10 years from them. They will power my TV and computer all day and more. I put one AGM in my Odyssey and another in my neighbor's Freestyle. I seldom got more than three years (in Florida) from the flooded Costco and Sam's Club batteries I have purchased. My Odyssey OEM battery lasted 3-1/2 years. These flooded batteries fail shortly before or rght after the warranty expires. AGM or no, the price per year of warranty is about the same or less with AGM compared with these flooded batteries. My neighbor got about 9 years from the yellow Optima battery in his truck.

The operating characteristics are slightly different for AGM batteries. My concern is that we now have electronic monitoring of battery condition in the newer vehicles. This is done differently by different manufacturers. So far, I have no issues with the AGM battery in my 2016 Odyssey. My 2017 VW (still on the OEM battery) should have the ECU re-programmed after a battery change, and supposedly requires a VW-approved and numbered battery.

Whatever battery you have, do not run it dead, which will kill flooded batteries very quickly. AGM batteries supposedly hold up better under very deep or complete discharge conditions.

Time will tell if AGM is the way to go.

·
Registered
132 Posts

The Costco flooded batteries aren't Kirkland, they are Interstate. As others have said, I didn't even see AGM's at my Costco. Only the Interstate flooded.

Pep Boys has been selling Champion and Bosch-branded AGM batteries at a discount for some time, but the retail price has gone up by $10 to $199.99. They both have a four year free-replacement warranties, which is longer than other brands of AGM's usually offer. Then, they have been giving 25% off of any size battery every month, bringing the cost to $149.99 plus tax. Then, they offer a $40 Pep Boys reward card on top of that, so the battery costs $110. I do not like rewards cards but I have learned I can pay some of my bills by phone using these rewards cards.

I use two AGM H-8's in parallel for my computer's 24 volt battery backup system, and hopefully I can get 8-10 years from them. They will power my TV and computer all day and more. I put one AGM in my Odyssey and another in my neighbor's Freestyle. I seldom got more than three years (in Florida) from the flooded Costco and Sam's Club batteries I have purchased. My Odyssey OEM battery lasted 3-1/2 years. These flooded batteries fail shortly before or rght after the warranty expires. AGM or no, the price per year of warranty is about the same or less with AGM compared with these flooded batteries. My neighbor got about 9 years from the yellow Optima battery in his truck.

The operating characteristics are slightly different for AGM batteries. My concern is that we now have electronic monitoring of battery condition in the newer vehicles. This is done differently by different manufacturers. So far, I have no issues with the AGM battery in my 2016 Odyssey. My 2017 VW (still on the OEM battery) should have the ECU re-programmed after a battery change, and supposedly requires a VW-approved and numbered battery.

Whatever battery you have, do not run it dead, which will kill flooded batteries very quickly. AGM batteries supposedly hold up better under very deep or complete discharge conditions.

Time will tell if AGM is the way to go.
Black Friday I bought a Group 35 Champion AGM from PepBoys for $140 and then sent in for a $50 Visa rebate. $90 not too shabby for an AGM.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's very possible all 3 of them are the same exact battery with a different sticker.
This is most likely true. If the "Energizer" AGM batteries sold in Canadian Costco stores are made by Clarios, then the "Kirkland" flooded ones probably are too. And if American Costcos only have Interstate batteries, that's one of Clarios' brands as well so the batteries are probably all the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
24F AGM: Duralast, Autocraft, Energizer, Champion, Everstart, Kirkland, AC Delco and few other lesser known brands are all CLARIOS AGM. Just find one on sale (or cheapest) + best (longest) warranty. I personally like ODYSSEY BATTERIES (EnerSys) but was intrigued by pricing on CHAMPION 24F AGM at Pepboys ($150) + 4 year warranty, so I bought one--will get it installed this weekend on my '12 Odyssey. My odyssey has been running on Sears Diehard Platinum Group 35 (rebranded Odyssey battery) for past 6 years with not one hiccup and still going strong, but I like to proactively do maintenance to keep things running smoothly.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow! Great post. Seems kind of obvious that all those batteries are actually the same under the label when you line up all the pictures like that.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
"24F AGM: Duralast, Autocraft, Energizer, Champion, Everstart, Kirkland, AC Delco and few other lesser known brands are all CLARIOS AGM. "

Wow, great info. Great, convincing pics.

I have 3 of the Champion AGM, bought from PepBoys. My understanding was that they are made by Johnson Controls. Is Clarios AGM a subsidiary of JC somehow?

The PepBoys Champion AGM seems to be a PepBoys-only house brand. 4 year replacement warranty (100% for 48 months, then 0). Very happy with mine so far, but my Honda still has a Kirkland Signature. I got 2 of the Champions for about $84 after tax and rebate over last year's black friday. PepBoys has great deals sometimes where you get a 25% (35% for Black Friday) discount (off the $195-$200 full price) followed by an additional $40 rebate ($50 for BF, also rebating sales tax).

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in southwestern Arizona (i.e. 100+ oF temps 7-8 months out of the year is the norm) and have a 2015 Odyssey. All batteries here typically last no more than 2 years for all our cars. In 2017 I had gotten a Sears Die Hard AGM for the Odyssey and it lasted the typical 2 years with one caveat. When the AGM died the electricals were so dead that our remote fobs would not even let us into the locked car. My wife, who had just driven it, had it towed to the dealer because nothing like that had happened before. At some point she was able to get it unlocked and it had displayed some errors. The dealership charged an arm and a leg to put in a new Honda battery and reset whatever code popped up. In this kind of heat I don't think AGM fairs all that well or is worth it for this generation of Odyssey. Our overpriced Honda battery lasted 1 year and is being replaced now under warranty :LOL:.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I live in southwestern Arizona (i.e. 100+ oF temps 7-8 months out of the year is the norm) and have a 2015 Odyssey. All batteries here typically last no more than 2 years for all our cars. In 2017 I had gotten a Sears Die Hard AGM for the Odyssey and it lasted the typical 2 years with one caveat. When the AGM died the electricals were so dead that our remote fobs would not even let us into the locked car. My wife, who had just driven it, had it towed to the dealer because nothing like that had happened before. At some point she was able to get it unlocked and it had displayed some errors. The dealership charged an arm and a leg to put in a new Honda battery and reset whatever code popped up. In this kind of heat I don't think AGM fairs all that well or is worth it for this generation of Odyssey. Our overpriced Honda battery lasted 1 year and is being replaced now under warranty :LOL:.
If anything like this happens in the future, you can release the mechanical key from the fob and unlock the driver side door (the only door that has a keyhole (the glove box has a key hole as well but the key only needs to go in an inch or so before turning). At that point if you are at home you have less pricey options of battery replacement or can try to jump start the car. On a side note, I learned the hard way that the lower capacity battery "jump" packs that they sell at Costco and other places have enough juice to jump an Odyssey's dead battery once (almost twice) between charges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anything like this happens in the future, you can release the mechanical key from the fob and unlock the driver side door (the only door that has a keyhole (the glove box has a key hole as well but the key only needs to go in an inch or so before turning). At that point if you are at home you have less pricey options of battery replacement or can try to jump start the car. On a side note, I learned the hard way that the lower capacity battery "jump" packs that they sell at Costco and other places have enough juice to jump an Odyssey's dead battery once (almost twice) between charges.
I wasn't there, but I think that is what my wife eventually did. Curious if anyone else experienced odd electrical issues with a dead AGM battery.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts