Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine check light and the TCS light came on at the same time. The engine started running a little rough at the same time. I plan to get an analyzer on it to see what codes come up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
To be certain of the problem you will need the code. Many have a failed ignition coil with rough running engine.

Post back the code when you find it or search on the code for more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this post but I just finished experiencing the same thing on my 04 honda odyssey. Here are the codes I am getting.

I have an Android phone along with an OBDII scanner. These are the fault codes I received.

P0302 - Powertrain
Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

P0303 - Powertrain
Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0304 - Powertrain
Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

P0305 - Powertrain
Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

P0306 - Powertrain
Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

P1399 - Powertrain

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Most likely an ignition coil (or two) Use the cylinder balance test to locate the offending cylinder. Use OEM or equivalent replacement coil. Do you have blinking check engine light? Is the engine shuddering?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just a coincidence. I also had CEL+TCS. I was reading on it. Mine happens to be a 401 for egr cleaning... Came across a thread where P0302-P0306 should first be checked and have valve clearance adjusted. That thread mentioned the coils were already replaced and problem was still there. In addition to coil diagnosis and replacement, might adjust valve clearance also?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
But if the CEL is blinking and car is shuddering then it is definitely ignition system and NOT the EGR. It is very bad for the engine and the catalytic converter to drive your vehicle like that. It is very easy to fix this. I directed this repair from five hundred miles while my wife and son did it by themselves :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
But if the CEL is blinking and car is shuddering then it is definitely ignition system and NOT the EGR. It is very bad for the engine and the catalytic converter to drive your vehicle like that. It is very easy to fix this. I directed this repair from five hundred miles while my wife and son did it by themselves :)
I have the same problem, cel light on tcs light on, cel flashes in mornings , after 2-5 minutes it is running perfectly,
I have set valves
new plugs
new coils
cleaned EGR and intake passages
compression test all good
Codes 0301 0302 0303 0304 0305 0306 and random misfire code maybe 0300
when I clear codes its good until the next cold start. HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody have the same problem?

I have the same problem, cel light on tcs light on, cel flashes in mornings , after 2-5 minutes it is running perfectly,
I have set valves
new plugs
new coils
cleaned EGR and intake passages
compression test all good
Codes 0301 0302 0303 0304 0305 0306 and random misfire code maybe 0300
when I clear codes its good until the next cold start. HELP

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just started with my car and would love to know the fix. It has been a long time since this was posted, but I desperately want to avoid taking it to the mechanic. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a call from my wife that my 2004 started doing this. Sounds like when I had a bad coil twice on my 2002. Shop replaced coil and plug on 2002. The symptom is rough idle, check engine light blinking, TCS light on. I think the TCS light is a secondary problem or not valid. I'll update in a couple days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had 5 cylinder and 2 general(0300 & 0399) misfire codes. I reset the codes and drove until the check engine light came on; I had cylinder 5(0305) and the general misfire codes. I replaced the spark plug and coil. All OK after a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 with 86K miles on it. It started having transmission problems about 1000 miles after purchase (off of Craigslist - collective sigh). I had P0730 code off and on through the summer so I added some Lucas Transmission fluid and haven't had the same problem since. This is also when we moved to driving it only on the weekends. Lately, seemingly out of no where, it'll code P0740 with TCS light on the highway. Out of no where meaning, I'll be on a straightaway maintaining speed and suddenly my check engine and TCS light will come on. Fortunately, this is what brought me to the fix.
The solenoid controlling the shift ratios will clog enough that the now restricted pressure will confuse the computer into thinking its time to shift. The TCS comes on because computer triggers a shift and the tire spin versus actual RPM are different (or so I've come to understand). So, when I searched P0740 with TCS light on youtube I found " Fix Odyssey P0740 TCS Transimisison Problem".
Try cleaning your lockup and Linear solenoids, your ATF filter (if applicable), and flushing the system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
greetings earthlings,

For the first time in 12 years of ownership, my '02 check engine light came on. Took it to the shop on the corner, code P0700 and TCM P0740. Tech cleared code, I refused trans flush. week goes by, to work and back, no issues, then drove 3 miles to store, parked and came out again. On the drive out of the parking lot, trans can't shift to second, just revved. Check engine light, and TCS come on again, drive home slowly. Park the Ody. Looked up no shift from first to second. Checked resistances of solenoids, good. Pulled off clutch pressure solenoid valve C. Found screen completely blocked, cleaned screen. Put it back on trans. Drove around block, feels o.k.
This is with 211k miles and lots of maintenance. Four trans fluids changes, one trans filter, went to DW-1 syn when Honda said to, used Z-1 before that. exclusively Honda trans fluid.
Time will tell the tale. Hope I can report good news.....

Fred

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
The screen was likely blocked with clutch material and will probably block up again. You can keep cleaning the screen and changing the fluid but the bigger problem is the worn out transmission creating the clutch material in the fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same issue with CEL and TCS. CEL was blinking especially on acceleration. Watched a you tube video of a guy with same issue. In the video, he has his engine running in his driveway and one by one he disconnects/reconnects the 6 ignition coil plugs. 5 of the plugs result in the engine running more roughly which means those 5 were fine. But on the 6th one there is no change at all in the way the engine runs. That tells you that one is the problem. Swapped it out and BINGO. Problem solved. $50 part. DIY baby.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks, I had the the same issue recently. CEL and TCS on. Very rough idle and I could feel misfires at low speeds. Took it to Autozone - they reported 302-306, 300 and 399. All misfire codes. The Autozone recommendation was to change EGR. Also on the forum there was a lot of discussion about EGR. So changed it. It did nothing. Finally after doing some more research, decided to change coils as I had only recently changed the spark plugs. I also read that if one coil fails others are likely to fail too. So changed out all 6 at once. Aftermarket coils are cheap and the van has 126k. So far the van is doing great.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Considering that there are 5 generations of Odysseys around now it might be helpful for you guys to post in the section relating to your model year. This Problems and Concerns section dates back to when there was only 2 generations. If you do post here, at least report what year and model you have.
A check engine light will mean that there are codes set. Get the code read. It is silly to speculate and throw parts at an unknown. Heck, by posting in the right section, with your model & year and the code, I bet there are others who have had the same code.

Also, the TCS light is a red herring. It only means that the TCS system will be shut down while the issue setting the code is active.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts