Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At idle, this noise is not present, but when you give it a little gas, it is shows itself. It sounds like a bearing with no grease.

I have owned this ody for about 6 months and it has always done it. I recently put a remanufactured head on it because i had a burnt exhaust valve and did not want to mess with the trouble of a machine shop. The head is nice and i adjusted the valves today and it idles pretty good for 200k miles. But, i cannot figure out this loud grinding noise.

I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, starter, radiator, thermostat, plugs, rotor, cap, wires, head, exhaust, and intake gaskets. changed the oil and filter today. changed the tranny fluid about 2 months ago.

this thing has been a real piece of work, but slowly it is getting where it needs to be. so, there ya go. i thought it was the main bearings, but it seems like it would be running like crap, or not at all.

I don't know at what rpm the noise occurs because i don't have a tach, but i would guess around 3k rpms.

thanks,

seeker311

·
Registered
221 Posts
Two tensioners have bearings plus the alternator and water pump could all be a culprit. Any of these failing would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree. Try taking the belts off the front of the engine one at a time to rule out the alternator, compressor or power steering pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Just a little info to help diagnose better. New water pump. Sound present with alternator and power steering belts off. I ordered a new timing belt tensioner pulley on ebay today from new jersey. should have it by wednesday. will update when i get it installed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removed alternator and powersteering belts, noise present. replaced timing belt tensioner pulley, noise present. I forgot about the balancer shaft pulley. I was able to wiggle it side to side a bit. I guess the bearings are also worn on that pulley too. Should I replace this pulley ? The noise sounds like it is inside the engine and it sounds like it is coming from everywhere. A buddy said it could be rod knock. Does anyone know anything about that ?
Thanks,
Blake

·
Registered
652 Posts
Get a long screwdriver and place it where you think the noise is coming from and place the handle to your ear. Caution: be very careful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts