Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My '02 Odyssey with 125k miles (knock on wood!) is having the idle issue where it seems to hunt between 750 and 1k....not that annoying, except when I'm at a light and the van wants to push forward a bit. When I get under the hood, and play around, nothing seems to affect the issue. Also, I am noticing a low thumping sound, almost like a sub-woofer kind of sound that occurs when the idle surges upwards...then it subsides and the car then evens out to normal.

Years ago, when the car was idling at 2 and 3k, I discovered that the cruise control cable that runs along the front of the hood needed replacement. I don't think that is the issue here.

Here, I have done some research on this issue, and it appears that I might have the power steering cable issue. Does that sound correct? Does anyone know where I can find this part? I can't seem to locate one....perhaps I'm using an incorrect title for the wire/cable?

Thanks so much in advance of any feedback.

Jon

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Vacuum leak is another issue. Use carburator cleaner to spray around the suspected area. If the idle changes, that is where your leak is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all,

My '02 Odyssey with 125k miles (knock on wood!) is having the idle issue where it seems to hunt between 750 and 1k....not that annoying, except when I'm at a light and the van wants to push forward a bit. When I get under the hood, and play around, nothing seems to affect the issue. Also, I am noticing a low thumping sound, almost like a sub-woofer kind of sound that occurs when the idle surges upwards...then it subsides and the car then evens out to normal.

Years ago, when the car was idling at 2 and 3k, I discovered that the cruise control cable that runs along the front of the hood needed replacement. I don't think that is the issue here.

Here, I have done some research on this issue, and it appears that I might have the power steering cable issue. Does that sound correct? Does anyone know where I can find this part? I can't seem to locate one....perhaps I'm using an incorrect title for the wire/cable?

Thanks so much in advance of any feedback.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Sounds like the radiator fans. Our Accord does the same (i.e. tries to lurch forward a bit) when the fans kick in. I don't have the thumping but with that age, perhaps its one of the fans?

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Here's a link to the power steering wire fix. If the wire is broken, the PCM will bump up the idle to generate more power steering pressure. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts