Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the end of a 650 mile trip with my family and my CEL came on as well as the TCS.

I pulled off to the side of the road. Swithced the van off, turned off the TCS and restarted.

The TCS is now off, but the engine light remains on.

I had intermittent flashing of the CEL the day before and I checked the fuel cap and found no problems.

I dumped a bottle of injector cleaner in and had no issues until today.

I was having periodic hesitation when driving, sort of a mild hiccupping while accelerating and later when driving at constant velocity.

Shifting seems crisp and fine so I am not thinking tranny, any thoughts?

I will pull some codes tomorrow at Auto Zone.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.

CEL was not on today.

I took it to Autozone anyway and got code 0301.

first cylinder issue.

i realize this might be a number of things:

I did the simple thing first.

Pulled the coil pack, pulled the plug, cleaned it up (it looked ok). Bosch Platinum replaced about 30k ago.

put it all back together.

car seemed to be performing well.

The problem started after a new fill of gas.

My top suspects are :

Coil, clogged injector, EGR, 02.

The TCS light is still on.. i am suspicious that my rotors on front need to be replaced.. some thumping while braking.

car has 140k, to my knowledge these are the orig rotors, I have done pads on all 4 wheels.

alot of brake squeal. I will look at that this afternoon.

Any clues on persistent TCS light?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Bosch Platinum? That is your answer! Put the oem NGK laser platinum or Irridium and then you won't get that error for next 100K miles.

- Vikas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
issues went away and now lights have returned.

engine light is back on, so back to get the diagnostic code.

the vehicle seems to be running ok

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Go back to the OEM NGK Platinum spark plugs. Many have had bad experiences with Bosch in the Odyssey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got codes pulled again:

all misfire things.

i am going to replace the plugs with NGK

hope this gets it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is the car running on all 6 cylinders? If not, you need to find the offending cylinder and then change the coil for that one.

Odysseys are know to need a coil or two during its lifetime.

When one of them goes, you get random misfire code. For some reason, computer never pinpoints the offending cylinder. You have to manually find the bad one. The procedure is well documented. This only works when the engine is actually running only on 5 cylinders.

- Vikas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.

ok, sounds good.

can you point me to the procedure, or can i find it on this site.

the bosch plugs actually looked ok on removal, none were fouled oily, or too blocked with anything.

it feels to me like its running on all cylinders after the plugs were replaced, although the CEL is still lit.

i am not the primary driver, so I am going to have my wife drive it and let me know if its better than yesterday.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If it is running on all cylinder, the procedure is NOT for you. If you search under my name and P0300, you should be able to find quite a few hits.

But please, put back NGK there and then start trouble shooting.

Amazon sells them at reasonable prices. Stick with the NGK laser double platinum or iridium ones (about $50 shipped).

If there is no misfire, the CEL should go out pretty soon. If the CEL is coming back, then you really really need to put back NGK.

- Vikas

P.S. If you do not want to invest $50, buy the cheapest NGK plugs which are shown as acceptable and see if your problems goes away for a while. You could even buy the Botched plugs and see if you can have CEL free car for a week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i did put in the NGK, the CEL is still on but my wife says the car is running better.

I have a CRV as well, and I dont remember what plugs I put in it, but I might swith that one to NGK as well.

Auto Zone had my plugs for the Odyssey for 9.99 a peice which isnt too bad.

thanks for your help

i will seach your name for the coil tests.

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts