Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message appeared when I started up my 18 Elite yesterday. It stayed on the several minute drive to work, and unfortunately came on and stayed on for my drive home. I did a little search on the message and didn't come up with anything. Anybody have an idea what this means? I called the dealership to see if they had any comment on whether it was something serious that would mean I shouldn't be driving it, and of course all they said was to bring it in. It'll be a few days before I can do that.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,381 Posts
The words, "Engine Management System Problem" sounds like a software issue. I'd wager the dealer will find the problem in a few minutes. Please keep us informed :).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The words, "Engine Management System Problem" sounds like a software issue. I'd wager the dealer will find the problem in a few minutes. Please keep us informed :).
I will let you know. Frustrating because I'm an hour from dealer, so it takes up a good portion of a day for me. FYI, the only odd thing I've noticed is that my volume up and down buttons on the steering wheel DO change the volume, but it doesn't show on the center display. I usually glance at that to see what number I'm at. I find that interesting and strange...lol.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,381 Posts
I hear you, Neefer. Damn computers running cars. It wasn't that long ago you could repair almost anything on a car using a slot head screw driver and a pair of vice-grips! The more electronic crap they pack into these things the more failures you can expect.

In my industry, it's common knowledge that most software is released while only being about 75 percent ready. Developers often leave it to the user to provide feedback as to what was missed. Hell of a stupid way to do things. I believe my dad (RIP 1994) would have called that attitude "half-assed." He's right. No one cares about quality anymore. That attitude has finally filtered down to Honda - the once kings of quality. Sad...

Thanks for the note.

·
Registered
561 Posts
FYI, the only odd thing I've noticed is that my volume up and down buttons on the steering wheel DO change the volume, but it doesn't show on the center display. I usually glance at that to see what number I'm at. I find that interesting and strange...lol.
It is not really odd if you think about it: volume up/down buttons on the steering wheel are linked to the instrument cluster screen, while the volume knob is linked to the touchscreen. Which set of controls you use determines where it is displayed. The only exception I am aware of is that when navigation is in progress and a turn will come up shortly, the navigation message overrides anything else that would have been displayed otherwise, that said the volume buttons are still functional. Everyone may have a different preference in the user interface, but personally I find it intuitive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will let you know. Frustrating because I'm an hour from dealer, so it takes up a good portion of a day for me. FYI, the only odd thing I've noticed is that my volume up and down buttons on the steering wheel DO change the volume, but it doesn't show on the center display. I usually glance at that to see what number I'm at. I find that interesting and strange...lol.
Any work on what that message meant? I have it on my 2018 Ody too.

·
Registered
2022 Elite
180 Posts
This message appeared when I started up my 18 Elite yesterday. It stayed on the several minute drive to work, and unfortunately came on and stayed on for my drive home. I did a little search on the message and didn't come up with anything. Anybody have an idea what this means? I called the dealership to see if they had any comment on whether it was something serious that would mean I shouldn't be driving it, and of course all they said was to bring it in. It'll be a few days before I can do that.
any update on issue? I tried starting my vacuum before it wouldn't start. And right after the ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM PROBLEM is showing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
any update on issue? I tried starting my vacuum before it wouldn't start. And right after the ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM PROBLEM is showing.
This happened to me. It was happening because the cables to the car battery were loose. As soon as the cables were tightened the error was cleared.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm the OP of the thread and just realized there have been a couple of posts in the last weeks and I never updated here. My situation turned out to be rather complicated, and I ended up putting up another thread with later problems that I didn't know were related. But in the end, my resolution was similiar to Bry2001us above...Honda claims it was loose battery terminal.

In case anyone is interested, or having similar problems, check out my other posts to see how ordeal played out. But basically my van had actually shut off on me twice while driving several months apart. This "engine management" message was apparently another symptom that occurred right before the resolution. Honda tech tightened battery terminals. And the biggest part of the story is that Honda wanted to replace my transmission because they were afraid there could have been damage done when the van shut down while going 50 mph.

So for the last couple of months I've had no issues and am hoping my ordeal is over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, just bought a 2019 Odyssey and the "Engine Management System Problem" message is on the screen, did you ever find out what the cause of that is?

·
Registered
3 Posts

So this happened after my wife complained that the infotainment didn’t work the day before and that the infotainment was on all night. This morning, as I was heading out, battery drained out. The 30°F CO cold didn’t help the situation. Took about 30 minutes for the engine to warm up from jumper cables, which was connected to a Toyota. After the 30 minutes of not starting, it finally revved up and started. I unplugged and replugged the #37 fuse and also used my keyboard to CTRL-ALT-DEL the infotainment. Now, the message on the photo is on my dash. I see that I need to tighten the battery connection? Is that all that you guys had to do? Or is there something more?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, just bought a 2019 Odyssey and the "Engine Management System Problem" message is on the screen, did you ever find out what the cause of that is?
I have the same problem. Battery died, and when I restarted it I got the “engine management system problem” warning. I tightened up my batt cables and drove around for a while, but it’s still there. Any advise on how to clear the issue? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get this ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM PROBLEM message as soon as I start my 2018.Honda Odyssey and I am still unable to fix it. I brought my mini van to the dealer, but they didn't fix it and blamed me for using too many accessories. I installed a new Duralast Platinum battery myself because my factory battery went dead, but still have the message. I did research on Google and found out that new cars including Honda_s are equipped with Smart Generators. Today I am calling Auto Zone to ask if they can check my Smart Generator. I will post my results. Send email SUGGESTIONS to [email protected] if you had success solving this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before you do anything else, have your battery checked at AUTO ZONE. If your battery is good, then try these steps that worked to fix my ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM PROBLEM. 1. Use a 10mm socket with ratchet to remove the GROUND screw where it attaches to the chassis. 2. Use a coarse sanding block to sand the paint off the chassis where contact is made with the GROUND connection. 3. Apply DIALECTRIC GREASE to the screw threads and metallic parts of the ground connection. 4. Use a 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the BLACK GROUND wire cable connection attached to your battery. 5. Use a WIRE BRUSH to scrape all oxidation off the battery connector and the battery post. 6. Apply DIALECTRIC GREASE to the metallic battery connector and battery ground post. 7. Reconnect the BLACK GROUND wire cable connection to the battery post. 8. Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!!! If these steps worked, CONGRATULATIONS!!! If they didn't work, say 3- Hail Mary's. 1- Our Father 1-Glory Be to the Father, and keep searching for answers so God helps you find one. God Bless You.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not likely software problem. Just stick to facts and stop hypothesizing. Read my post that truly works!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Read my post.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts