Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 EX-L with 170K seemed to be idling a bit rough though otherwise it was running fine. I searched through here and undertook the EGR passage cleaning; lots of carbon buildup removed. :) Air filter had been in for 18K miles so I went ahead and changed it even though it still looked OK. . After I finished the cleaning, the van started up fine but the block seemed to vibrate a bit more than ususal. I figured some of the carbon deposits had dropped into the manifold but they would burn up soon.

I drove about two miles to the gas station to fill up and added a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. Upon subsequent startup, the engine started just fine and the idle was much smoother and the block vibration was gone. However when I drove away the TCS and check engine lights were on. The car seemed to drive just fine - actually better than before. The CEL would occasionally blink 2-3 times then just stay steadily lit. I went to Advance Auto to scan the codes and got P0301, P0304, P0300, and P1399. All related to cylinder misfires.

My review of threads usually shows these events occurring in reverse order, ie. folks getting the codes and then cleaning the EGR with resolution. I haven't found anyone with my problem namely the cleaning causing the CEL. Can I just drive it a bit longer to see if the codes resolve or do I need to start pulling ignition coils and the like? As stated, the car is running fine

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sorry I had also posted this in the 2nd gen model subforum.

My 02 EX-L with 170K seemed to be idling a bit noisily though otherwise it was running fine. I searched through here and undertook the EGR passage cleaning; lots of carbon buildup removed. :) Air filter had been in for 18K miles so I went ahead and changed it even though it still looked OK. After I finished the cleaning, the van started up fine but the block seemed to vibrate a bit more than ususal. I figured some of the carbon deposits had dropped into the manifold but they would burn up soon.

I drove about two miles to the gas station to fill up and added a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. Upon subsequent startup, the engine started just fine and the idle was much smoother and the block vibration was gone. However when I drove away the TCS and check engine lights were on. The car seemed to drive just fine - actually better than before. Smooth acceleration up to 4000RPM. The CEL would occasionally blink 2-3 times then just stay steadily lit. When I tried revving the engine in neutral, there is a brief whine lasting a split second as I release the accelerator. I went to Advance Auto to scan the codes and got P0301, P0304, P0300, and P1399. All related to cylinder misfires.

My review of threads usually shows these events occurring in reverse order, ie. folks getting the CEL codes and then cleaning the EGR with resolution. I haven't found anyone with my problem namely the cleaning causing the CEL. Can I just drive it a bit longer to see if the codes resolve or do I need to start pulling ignition coils and the like? Can cleaning the ports foul up the EGR valve? Plugs were changed with OEM NGK Iridium at 95K and 155K miles. As stated, the van is running fine

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Troubleshoot the cylander 1 and 4 codes as explained in the threads. P1399 and P0300 are just dummy codes. Stop overthinking what could have been and just troubleshoot the problem codes.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Not sure what other post is being alluded to, but it sounds like you putthe black upper plenum gasket on upside down

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had initially posted here in the 2nd gen subforum then thought this belonged in the "Problems and Concerns" subforum so i posted there as well. I assume mods have combined them and moved them here...

Troubleshoot the cylander 1 and 4 codes as explained in the threads. P1399 and P0300 are just dummy codes. Stop overthinking what could have been and just troubleshoot the problem codes.
Thank you. I will try pulling the coils/plugs on cylinders #1 and #4 to see if something is fouling them. If not I can then move the coil to another position to see if the code follows it. It just seemed too coincidental that the CEL came on right after the EGR cleaning so I was just asking a question of the experienced.

Not sure what other post is being alluded to, but it sounds like you putthe black upper plenum gasket on upside down
Thank you I did check that and I did reinstall correctly. I would think that it if were upside down, the engine would run roughly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The problem: I put that gasket in upside down.

The bolt holes lined up fine, but not the EGR passages. Mine idled fine, even smoothly. It wasn't until I accelerated (moderately hard) that it misfired. Look closely at the gasket again to make sure all the EGR passage holes line up.

Something is blocking up the EGR passages.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i ended up removing the top plate off the manifold again and some residual carbon gunk had blown up into the passages. The gasket was seated correctly the first time. I vacuumed out the gunk and then went the extra step of removing the entire manifold and cleaned out the large intake ports as well. I pulled plugs #1 and #4 and they appeared to be good - only 15 k miles after all. I then pulled my battery positive terminal off for ten minutes then buttoned everything back up and bingo! Both warning lamps were gone.

Drove the van about 75 miles today and did some brisk 20-60 accelerations onto the highway and the motor is running smooth. Hopefully the lights will stay away.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A quick way to check if the gasket is installed properly is to look for a black tab sticking out at the 2 o'clock position and not the 4 o'clock area. Hopefully you are good to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A quick way to check if the gasket is installed properly is to look for a black tab sticking out at the 2 o'clock position and not the 4 o'clock area. Hopefully you are good to go.
I currently have the same problem as the initial poster of this thread. After I cleaned out the intake ports it started hesitating. The gasket is correct at the 2 o clock position. What else could be the problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
^^^Yep that fixed it. Didn't have one of them snapped on good.^^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts