Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2011 Odyssey with the dreaded misfire issue. My local mechanic tried changing the sparkplugs then pointed me to the class action. Of course we are past the 8 year purchase date as I purchased the vehicle in October 2010.

Does anyone have experience with honda customer care? Would they offer any extension since I purchased the vehicle just a couple years outside 8 years? Also I had a Honda extended warranty to 75k miles. We have 88k on the car but wondering if they would extend 8 years from end of the extended warranty? I own two other hondas and disappointed that I am stuck with a ton of repairs ahead with this odyssey. Wife loves the car and honestly wouldn’t let me trade it in last year!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You have as good of a chance as anyone would have as the original owner that purchased the van new. The fact that the van has less than 100K is also in your favor. Anything that happens outside of any warranty period or the class action settlement period falls into what is known as "Good Will". Though the fact that your local mechanic already changed the plugs is a detriment. He would have been better off leaving the old plugs in and letting you go to the dealer with the problem active. Do you still have the old plugs? You'd be better off pretending like you had not been to an independent with the problem and went straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have as good of a chance as anyone would have as the original owner that purchased the van new. The fact that the van has less than 100K is also in your favor. Anything that happens outside of any warranty period or the class action settlement period falls into what is known as "Good Will". Though the fact that your local mechanic already changed the plugs is a detriment. He would have been better off leaving the old plugs in and letting you go to the dealer with the problem active. Do you still have the old plugs? You'd be better off pretending like you had not been to an independent with the problem and went straight to the dealer.
I am hoping sending Honda a nice email with vin’s of all 3 vehicles I own with them will show that I am a loyal customer. Sadly I made sure on the new Pilot to get the extended 10 year warranty for this very reason!

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
If that doesn't work, just change the spark plugs and install a VCMTunerII to disable VCM. Most likely the dirty rings will clean up and you won't have any more problems. I've done it to numerous Odysseys and Pilots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that doesn't work, just change the spark plugs and install a VCMTunerII to disable VCM. Most likely the dirty rings will clean up and you won't have any more problems. I've done it to numerous Odysseys and Pilots.
You think its better just to have my mechanic do that versus the $150 for the dealer just to diagnose the car?

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Assuming you can't get anything done under warranty, yes. It's important to disable the VCM at the same time you replace the plugs. Otherwise the issue will return.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
You think its better just to have my mechanic do that versus the $150 for the dealer just to diagnose the car?
if your mechanic/shop is well versed on these issues with Honda's, then absolutely.

Although I cringe saying this, sometimes inexperienced techs can cost you more in diagnostics time over the dealer.
if you have faith and trust in your independent shop, then pay the extra anyway.

there is a natural adversity for most of us to avoid the dealer, because of their labor rates and sometimes dirty tricks, and typically I do, but there are times they are useful esp. with diagnostics on tricky issues.
The key is to remain vigilant and assertive when dealing with the dealer, make it clear what you're consenting to, and save the labor for DIY or your regular mechanic once they identify the issue.

since the vehicle is running and driving, don't get roped into them disabling your vehicle, so it cant leave the shop without them fixing it.
another dirty tactic some dealers resort to, to extract more revenue out of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if your mechanic/shop is well versed on these issues with Honda's, then absolutely.

Although I cringe saying this, sometimes inexperienced techs can cost you more in diagnostics time over the dealer.
if you have faith and trust in your independent shop, then pay the extra anyway.

there is a natural adversity for most of us to avoid the dealer, because of their labor rates and sometimes dirty tricks, and typically I do, but there are times they are useful esp. with diagnostics on tricky issues.
The key is to remain vigilant and assertive when dealing with the dealer, make it clear what you're consenting to, and save the labor for DIY or your regular mechanic once they identify the issue.

since the vehicle is running and driving, don't get roped into them disabling your vehicle, so it cant leave the shop without them fixing it.
another dirty tactic some dealers resort to, to extract more revenue out of you.
yes dealer was such a joke, when I called them this morning the tech actually said get new spark plugs then trade it in when the check engine light isnt on! Local Mechanic did disappoint me as well since he said he has never seen this issue in hondas!
Time to write the email to honda customer care and see what they can advise. Such a shame on a vehicle with less than 100k!

·
Registered
13,549 Posts

Really? That's not been my experience. Dealer techs are often some of the worst diagnosticians because they don't get paid for it. Their goal is to move cars in and out and a hard diagnosis takes too much time. They spend 30-40 mins tops, get paid for their hour and move to the next one. They will guess at a part and get paid the flat rate labor for replacing that part. Then it starts over again. Independent shops have a reputation they value and will likely work harder to get it right. Of course it all depends on the dealer, the tech, and the independent shop. They're not all the same.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
Again, disable the VCM, put in new plugs and drive it. It will most likely be fine. I've done it numerous times. Put in new plugs but drive it very little until you get the VCM disabling device if your choice.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The only reason to go to the dealer is if you are absolutely set on getting the rings replaced and hoping you can get Honda to pay for it or at least a good chunk. Disabling the VCM ASAP along with the correct new plugs installed has a strong chance of fixing your problem.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Really? That's not been my experience. Dealer techs are often some of the worst diagnosticians because they don't get paid for it. Their goal is to move cars in and out and a hard diagnosis takes too much time. They spend 30-40 mins tops, get paid for their hour and move to the next one. They will guess at a part and get paid the flat rate labor for replacing that part. Then it starts over again. Independent shops have a reputation they value and will likely work harder to get it right. Of course it all depends on the dealer, the tech, and the independent shop. They're not all the same.
my error, confused this post with another misfire post, there are few of them the past couple days.

This one is VCM related, the other two are tricky and appear to be PCM, which is why I recommended the dealer for diag.

They are supposed to have known working good PCM's to swap out for testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a 2011 Odyssey with the dreaded misfire issue. My local mechanic tried changing the sparkplugs then pointed me to the class action. Of course we are past the 8 year purchase date as I purchased the vehicle in October 2010.

Does anyone have experience with honda customer care? Would they offer any extension since I purchased the vehicle just a couple years outside 8 years? Also I had a Honda extended warranty to 75k miles. We have 88k on the car but wondering if they would extend 8 years from end of the extended warranty? I own two other hondas and disappointed that I am stuck with a ton of repairs ahead with this odyssey. Wife loves the car and honestly wouldn’t let me trade it in last year!
I have similar problem. Had misfire in Jan 2021. Dealer changed sparkplugs. Recommended ring change but did not remind me about recall. 2000km later misfore again. Found out about VCM muzzler. Installing it this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a 2011 Elite with 176,xxx on it with the same misfire codes over and over. It was painful because I kept very good care of this vehicle and did ALL routine maintenance. When the problems started, I, unfortunately, went down the rabbit hole of replacing everything related to this issue. These issues started around 165,000. I replaced both cats, numerous coils (under warranty), spark plugs, and I even installed the VCM muzzler. Unfortunately, the check engine light still kept coming back on. The last couple of months with the van, it was running rough complete with blue smoke at start-up (put STP in it), I couldn't accelerate past 60 MPH and drove like it was in limp mode. Finally, I was just over it. The Honda dealership told me to just trade it in as well as my local mechanic and I took their advice. I traded it when the check engine light wasn't on for a brand new Sienna. I still have the VCM Muzzler if anyone would like to buy it. I was really disappointed with Honda and the dealership even telling me to trade it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.