Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear and front (vacuum controlled) engine mounts are broken on my 99 Ody. I did a search and could not find anything.
Are there aftermarket mounts that are cheaper and last longer than the OEM mounts? I am not concerned about engine vibration in the passenger compartment.
Like for example - can I buy a front mount that is not vacuum controlled? Or a rear mount that has more rubber in it to last longer?
Or does doing this - changing the characteristics of the engine mounts - cause other problems. Like breaking the remaining mounts?

I've seen other posts saying that aftermarket front and rear mounts don't last long. So unless I can find better aftermarket mounts then I'll go OEM.
Any thoughts?

I did something similar on another car I have. There is a 'dogbone' mount that has a large partial rubber soft bushing it it. This bushing regularly cracks and breaks every couple of years. I found the same size solid rubber bushing on ebay for another car and pressed it into the mount. It transmits more vibration to the car but has not broken in 10 years.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most probably the passenger side is also on its way. They get damaged fast if the front and rear are really bad. Might as well check the transmission side too. I would just go with the aftermarket. eBay has some popular ones for a good price on all 4. Changing the front is easy, the rear is one you will struggle with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone tried this? Or 2 part urethane?

The urethane could be added to an aftermarket rear mount to make it last longer? The rear mount is the most time consuming one to replace. I really don't want to replace it again.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I saw several youtube videos few years back using the poly as a repair of broken mounts. I don't know.... I would just buy the cheap solid rubber ones and change them and be done with it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow, that sounds short alright. Key to a lasting mount is making sure the others are also in good condition. Otherwise, the engine will have a give unevely and prematurely wear out the good one.

Last time I checked my rear mount was a year ago when I swapped my transmission and it has some minor cracks but still good. I decided to let it be and just change it later when its really broken. Its been the same mount since I got the car maybe 10 years ago around 150K then. Not sure if that was the original (maybe not) or my brother in law changed it with oem or not, don't really know. The only mount I replaced is the transmission mount - ebay aftermarket. When choosing aftermarket parts, on ebay, I usually pick the popular one - highest sold count. Or one with a good warranty like amautoparts with 10 year warranty-- I bought my outer tie rod end from them and already avail of their free replacement warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts