Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2012 engine mounts are blasted. Has anyone used rockauto mounts as opposed to genuine Honda? 332$ a pop is a little pricey for our beat up van.

How bad can they be? Looks like they are solid rubber too. With the VCM disabled do I really need the extra absorption of hydraulic mounts? My 2010 explorer has solid rubber and it’s fine.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A few people over on the gen 3 side of the forum have replaced their trashed active mounts with solid ones. The only thing they had to do was use either a VCMTuner II or S-VCM controller to guarantee themselves that VCM could truly never ever activate. I would imagine it works the same way in a gen 4 van.

The non-Honda active engine mounts are all crap - if you're going to try the active mounts then you really need to go OEM. For the solid mounts, it seems like the aftermarket is not too bad at all, but then spring for one of the two active VCM disable devices. The passive ones (VCMuzzler II, MaxMuzzler) can and do work very well but they can't guarantee 100% VCM disabling.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I’d want to ensure 100% VCM disabled as well if going with solid mounts. It’ll beat the hell out of your engine should it kick on. Don’t bother with non-OEM active mounts. It’s either solid rubber non-OEM or active OEM IMO.

Were mods required on the Gen3 tho? Can’t remember if it was a plug and play solution. The caution provided too was decreased resale value or notion you’re really screwing with things if you sell the van private party.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Were mods required on the Gen3 tho? Can’t remember if it was a plug and play solution.
I can't remember the exact details either - to be honest, because it's a problem that is extremely unlikely to affect me, I didn't bother to study the threads in a lot of detail. But I know it's been tried and I'm pretty sure that it's been tried successfully. I can't say how much work separates one from the other.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Actually, after a little bit of thought, it might not be so straightforward.

The gen 3 Odysseys (depending on the trim level) could come with a VCM engine or a non-VCM engine, which means that solid mounts that could be used in place of the active ones definitely existed - they were both in production at the same time so they had to fit the engines and engine bays the same way. The gen 4 Odysseys never had a non-VCM engine option, so I really am not sure whether an active engine mount can be simply replaced by a corresponding solid mount. I don't know if there is a solid mount that is the same size, shape and fitment as an active mount for a 2011-2017 Odyssey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My VCM is disabled with the S-VCM. I’m good there. So you are saying the solid rubber RockAuto ones should work? I believe it is DEA / Martin ride control.

I just need this thing to make it until June. Then I’ll get rid of it.

The current mounts are so bad, it bangs every time it shifts gears. The excessive vibration has caused a power steering leak.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Gen 4 mounts aren't that expensive compared to gen 3.
All of the aftermarket mounts are junk. You rather keep your old mounts instead of putting on new aftermarket mounts, it's that bad.

Try to source low mileage OEM used mounts locally or on ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
MrRangerZr1
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing