Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received good help over the years for my 2010 Honda Odyssey from this forum. This is my first time posting. Thank you in in advance for any help that you can provide.

2010 Honda Odyssey Touring
Original Owner
162,000 miles

First off, I have a check charging system light on my dash. I ran tests to confirm that the alternator is indeed bad. I have ordered a Denso alternator from RockAuto. It shows up next week and I will be replacing that.

While I am working on things, I figured I would look into any other fine tuning that I could perform. The engine has a noise while running that I would love to figure out. I will post a short video below. I don't believe that it's the power steering. Although when you turn the wheel, you do hear a very slight whine. I am not sure if that should be addressed or if that is normal. It's not very loud. There definitely seems to be something else going on. I am not sure what it could be.

Could it be the serpentine belt? I don't see any wobble in it. I will investigate it when I remove it to put in the alternator.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
A good thing to try with noises like these is remove the serpentine belt and start up the engine. (You can still run it safely for a short period without the belt) If the noise goes away, it's an issue with that system somewhere, possible one of the pulleys.

Reactions: joeworkman and Ted

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
I have received good help over the years for my 2010 Honda Odyssey from this forum. This is my first time posting. Thank you in in advance for any help that you can provide.

2010 Honda Odyssey Touring
Original Owner
162,000 miles

First off, I have a check charging system light on my dash. I ran tests to confirm that the alternator is indeed bad. I have ordered a Denso alternator from RockAuto. It shows up next week and I will be replacing that.

While I am working on things, I figured I would look into any other fine tuning that I could perform. The engine has a noise while running that I would love to figure out. I will post a short video below. I don't believe that it's the power steering. Although when you turn the wheel, you do hear a very slight whine. I am not sure if that should be addressed or if that is normal. It's not very loud. There definitely seems to be something else going on. I am not sure what it could be.

Could it be the serpentine belt? I don't see any wobble in it. I will investigate it when I remove it to put in the alternator.

Welcome to this forum. I’m glad you knew to get a Denso alternator. I assume you also know about the need to muzzle your VCM.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
I am not sure that I know what this means. I’ll do some searching. Thanks
See the VCM megathread that is stickied to this forum.

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
I am not sure that I know what this means. I’ll do some searching. Thanks

· Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
1,080 Posts
To me it sounds like a pulley bearing, but you'd need to verify. Removing the belt completely will tell you if it's a pulley or not, but with the engine running and belt still on, touching a mechanics stethoscope (or rubber hose) to the pulley bolts will tell you which pulley has a bad bearing.

The power steering noise is usually a worn inlet o-ring letting air into the system, or a dirty reservoir screen. You have more than just PS noise however.

You may want to consider replacing the belt with a new Honda brand if its age is unknown. The serpentine belt in this van can be a pain if you've never removed/replaced it before, and having a new one ready may save you the trouble later. Don't put the new one on if it does turn out to be a pulley bearing. There's a chance they can seize and destroy the belt.

For the alt, you'll want to remove the serpentine belt tensioner to slip the old one out and the new one in.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the advice on the VCM. I ordered the VCM Tuner.

As for replacing the serpentine belt. Should I replace just the belt? I see kits that also replace the tensioner. Are there any brands that I should prefer to purchase?

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
Thank you for the advice on the VCM. I ordered the VCM Tuner.

As for replacing the serpentine belt. Should I replace just the belt? I see kits that also replace the tensioner. Are there any brands that I should prefer to purchase?
I recommend genuine Honda for both. They are sold as separate parts, so don’t be duped by a “kit”.

· Registered
3,178 Posts
Either your local dealer, or online from Bernardi or Majestic.

Reactions: thscott

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
Where is the best place to find genuine Honda parts?
As Kernel says, Bernardi or Majestic both offer discount prices on genuine Honda parts. I often buy from Majestic. Occasionally Bernardi is a better price and they offer free shipping.

· Registered
2010 EX-L 255,000 2010 Touring 125,000
390 Posts
Reactions: joeworkman

· Registered
127 Posts
You might try putting a bit of water on your serpentine belt and see if the noise changes and follow it up with s bit of spray lubricant near the PS pump bearing, serpentine pulleys one at a time . IF your noise changes or goes away temporarily you have found the failing item.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let’s start with the good news...

So on Saturday I changed out my alternator. It was not the most fun but it was not horrible. I felt pretty accomplished. It was the biggest job that I have taken on with any car. It gave me confidence that I could do more in the future. And save a ton of money in the process.

I did not change the belt or the tensioner at this time. The car actually sounds better with the new alternator in there.

I also installed the VCM Tuner. That was dead simple. I think that I feel the difference but it's hard to say. I guess time will tell.

I also took the time to clean the engine up and it's look brand spanking new!

Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Motor vehicle

Now for the bad part...

I drove it around town yesterday and it was reapply running great. By the end of the day though, the Check Charging System indicator light came back on the dashboard... I cannot tell you how disheartening that was. 😭🤬

The voltage reading of the battery when the car is off is 12.12. When I turn the car on, it dips to 11.9. So something is stopping the alternator from doing it's job.

Any advice on what I can do to figure out what it could be?

· Registered
2010 EX-L
5,458 Posts
Did you install a Denso alternator?
Are your battery post connections tight? Many of us have to install shim caps.

· Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
616 Posts
Not sure this will be helpful, but in the event that you are in the rust belt somewhere, my ground cable pretty much disintegrated from corrosion on the portion of the cable where there is bare copper stranded wire right about where it connects to the engine block. Its pretty easy to see if you look with a flashlight and follow the negative cable around the plastic battery box down to a connection on the front of the motor.. the side opposite the alternator. I do believe that may be the only wire to complete the circuit for your alternator.

Someone on this forum pointed out that RockAuto sells a Dorman replacement for under $20.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.