Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, On my 06 ody with just 100k miles I'm starting to hear astrange engine sound, it sounds like it's coming from the front engine bank under the plastic cover, It sounds a little metallic and goes away very quickly, under hear when i step on gas from idle and then it goes away fast. Kinda sounds like when one of the brake dust shields rubs the rotor but this happens when car is not moving also, it seems it's RPM dependent

·
Registered
70 Posts
It might be the heat shield from the exhaust. Mine was loose when I bought it, I had to bring it back to the dealer to have it resecured it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possible

It could be that kinda noise, is there a heat shield way up where the exhaust exits the block and accessable by removing plastic engine cover or reaching up from down under?
Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
If its noises pulling away from stop it could be engine mount. Known issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dirkdaddy said:
If its noises pulling away from stop it could be engine mount. Known issue.
Yeah, that's when the noise is most. Is that covered under warranty at 101k miles? Is that the rear one, the very difficult for a DIY'er?

·
Registered
613 Posts
While I am full-fledged DIY, mine was still under 5/60 warranty so I had them do it and pay for the part. Unfortunately, the part is about $500 itself. If you are inclined and have some good tools, go for it. Its in the Honda manual how to. I had mine on a lift and looked at it, maybe 3-4 hours? There is a test to see if that's what it is, you can search on it. You probably also feel a bit through the steering wheel?

I think the front mount can also wear out too, unfortunately.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
500 for the part and then add labor to that plus i'm coming up on the timing belt replacement that should be in the $800 range, then new tires, brakes, wheel alignment and other regular maintenance, cross your fingers with an original tranny, maybe it's time to sell and get another one or something else.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would the faulty engine mount make the tinny noise in front of engine? Just asking to see if I should stop hunting around and just go for the mount?Thnaks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts