Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With engine off, key out of ignition, does the fan run?
This is happening to my 2002 EX - it's as if the entire a/c heat system is left running, and controllable - i've had to manually shut it off everytime now - and over the weekend my wife didn't notice that the rear cabin fan was still running - woke up to a dead battery.

My mechanic called it a ghost - and wants to see it next week. What should be my first step ?
thanks
this is my first post - and could not find a thread which mentioned my situation -

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like an electrical short. Have you had anything electrical recently installed or repaired? New radio, RES, alarm, remote start, etc? Do other electrical components remain on after the key has been removed? Radio, lights on the dash, power windows, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a couple of threads posing questions related, but no solution.

Although rare, the electric fans in the front can continue to run after the van is shut off. Is this what you heard perhaps? Or was the engine actually running?
Definitely not the engine. It is the cabin fans. Once i manually shut them off (front / rear) the van is quiet.

Do you have a remote starter installed in the van?
Yes. I have a remote starter installed. (by previous owner)

AUTOSTART
AS-1514 SH
Autostart

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My guess is the remote start is the culprit as it taps into the constant +12V and the ignition and accessory wires. These wires are often spliced in at the ignition wiring harness and often spliced close to each other for ease of installation. The connection could have come loose or the wires are somehow touching causing the ignition and accessory wire to be powered by the constant +12V wire. Does your issue happen all the time, sporadic or only after using the remote start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks autobot152 - my sense was that it is related to the autostart - i'll check those wires.

It did happen a few times over the last couple years. Sporadic.

However, since last week it has been all the time. I do recall that I started the car with the remote that day, and since then it's been consistent.

Here is what has power (with the key out ignition off)
- clock
- cabin a/c fans - note: it is not producing heat.
- mirror defrost
- mirror adjust

Here is what turns off when the key is pulled out
- radio
- power windows (once door is opened)
- wipers
- cruise

Synchronous to this issue, the TCS light is staying on permanently. It could be ice on one of the sensors, i.e. a separate issue, but I am afraid it's related the electrical issue.

Next I will take a look at the wiring of the autostart.

thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also-

all the dash lights turn off -

the green key icon flashes 4 times as i pull the key out

·
Registered
174 Posts
yes, i think more signs are pointing to the remote start. When the remote start is activated it energizes the wires to the heater/AC to warm up and cool off car. My guess is either the remote start unit has failed and the relays have stopped working or the wiring has been compromised and causing a short. First step would be to unplug the main relay harness from the remote start. The main relay is the harness with the large gauge wiring. test the vehicle to see if the problem is corrected. if so, it was a bad remote start unit. if issue continues, it is probably the wiring itself and you can either repair the fault wiring or remove wiring entirely.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As mentioned, you have an electrical "leak" into the blower relay circuit (on the control side of the relay which requires very little current to operate). On my neighbor's '95 Accord, this same thing was happening! It turned out to be a windshield leak that allowed water to get into the fuse panel underneath the dash where the blower relay was located. It took us (I helped him to figure it out) awhile to find it because it was intermittent, and once I took a close look underneath the dash and saw water dripping down from the fuse block, I put 2+2 together.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Barring any leaks or crappy wires I would bet the remote start has a relay sticking closed. Next time it happens try tapping on the remote start unit and see if it stops. Although, if that is the case then other things would work too like the windshield wipers. I forget if the radio is on when my van is started with the remote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tips and strategies.

After looking around "under there" at the remote starter unit and wiring, I got a bit overwhelmed. However I did nudge the unit and some wiring a bit.

And it turns out that the issue "disappeared" the next time I drove the Van, parked it, pulled the key out - blower off !

Also the TCS light turned off ! (it had been on permanently while running)

So that's the good news. But I guess I'm now back at 'intermittent' - so I'll wait until it happens again, and take a closer look.

cheers!

·
Registered
174 Posts
glad you were able to fix the problem even tho it may be temporary. another option to minimize the occurrence would be to take some electrical tape and rewrap the wiring loom where the remote start wires connect to the vehicle wiring. it seems like a poor connection/short and your "fiddling under there" fixed it. wrapping and securing the wires may help prevent the short in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts