Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya it’s got sludge. Likely sat for months and short drives and poor maintenance.

I am looking at buying at a 2015 Touring at 110,000 km from a dealer here. Originally the oil smelled like gas. They changed the oil for me Friday.

Today, I added a serving of injector cleaner, filled the tank and put 130km test drive on her. Nice van, handles the hills at 110 kph nicely, shifts nicely. Starts good, shuts off nicely. Kinda parks like a tank. Great lunch in Tequila.

Took the van to a different dealer for the pre purchase inspection for tomorrow morning which will include a compression test. The dipstick shows lumpy oil, sludge. This explains the slightly lower to market rate for the van and the interior colour change the dealer did for my wife.

What is the proper cleaning method for engine sludge?
Does the oil pan and valve cover need to come off?
Do these engines have a reputation for sludge build up?
What damage should I check for?
Is it possible that gas was put in the oil for a clean up?
What is wholesale price for this van?
Should I walk away?

Ken

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use Liqui Moly Proline Engine flush right before an oil change. Pour in and idle the engine for 10 minutes. Then do a regular oil change and filter right after. It cleans a lot of crap out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
You haven't bought it yet. Don't. Why buy a car that you KNOW has not been properly maintained, unless they are giving you such a good deal that you can replace the engine and transmission with the money saved?

There are plenty of good, used cars out there.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interior color change????
Yea. The seats and interior trim were swapped out with another Odyssey. My wife commented she didn’t like the lighter colour leather and when we went back. Voila magic, a darker interior. Motivated dealer. Maybe the sludge made them do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why buy a car that you KNOW has not been properly maintained, unless they are giving you such a good deal that you can replace the engine and transmission with the money saved?
At least this dealer didn’t ‘clean up’ the sludge before putting it up for sale. I think I can work with them.

The van is already discounted slightly. So yes, what valuation do we place to allow for a possible damage from plugged oil ports?

Can the sludge be removed satisfactorily?

Is sludge a death knell for the Odyssey engine?

The compression test today will be a guide to any engine damage, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google up "what causes oil sludge in engine"
Yes. And in this case the dealer is claiming the vehicle has sat during the pandemic and produced a december 2019 oil change record as evidence. I am tending to believe them as they could have 'hid' the sludge but instead have allowed it to remain.

I am thinking sat for months, low driving times and poor maintenance. Compression test today and will check the PVC valve to see the extent of the damage. regardless looking for a substantial discount. Knowing what is wrong with a vehicle is helpful down the road.

What would be wholesale value for a 2015 Touring 110,000 kms?

Ken

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yes. And in this case the dealer is claiming the vehicle has sat during the pandemic and produced a december 2019 oil change record as evidence. I am tending to believe them as they could have 'hid' the sludge but instead have allowed it to remain.

I am thinking sat for months, low driving times and poor maintenance. Compression test today and will check the PVC valve to see the extent of the damage. regardless looking for a substantial discount. Knowing what is wrong with a vehicle is helpful down the road.

What would be wholesale value for a 2015 Touring 110,000 kms?

Ken
Try a few sites like How much is My Car Worth? Free Car Value Appraisal | Edmunds. Enter everything you know, including the VIN if you have it.

You can get Dealer Trade In value. Probably not exactly wholesale, but it might give you a general idea of how much the dealer has in the car already, not including the extra work they did to change the interior.

Regarding the interior changes, what "trim" did they replace? Doesn't everything inside an Odyssey, including the carpeting, side panels, headliner, etc. all match? Does the vehicle now have a 2-tone interior?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,056 Posts
A December 2019 service record is less than a year ago - within the 7500 mile / 1 year change interval. That vehicle was heavily neglected through its life. The 0w20 oil used in the engine is synthetic, and you would have to work very hard to sludge it up. I'd suspect the trans was neglected too (should have had at least two trans fluid drain/fills - maybe more).

Run like the wind...

If you are really stuck on buying it, just do regular (like, ever 2.5k mile) oil changes for a while with a good quality filter. A good quality modern synthetic should clean it fairly well with time and regular oil changes. It isn't an old style engine (5w30 or heavier oil recommendation) so I can't give you my normal "Rotella T6" suggestion... Here's the inside of my 20 year old, 275k+ mile 4Runner engine after using Rotella T6:

-Charlie

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sludge is not, in and of itself, a problem. Sludge is a symptom of neglect that can result in severe wear and failure of lubricated surfaces. A compression test will only tell about rings, not bearings. You seem to be enticed by the supposed bargain. Have you run the numbers on value using "poor" condition? If the discount is enough to pay for a new engine, it might be worth it. But then there's also tranny neglect that needs to be ignored in order to buy.

You have seen the equivalent of a 10 ft. neon sign flashing "bad car". If you choose to ignore it, please refrain from posting here in 10 months how you got ripped off.

One man's opinion, guaranteed to be worth price charged.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Compression test reads 175 psi on all cylinders.

Sludge has magically disappeared from the dipstick.

I am going to take it for a highway spin and check the oil again.

Does this engine have hydraulic lifters that could get clogged?

I was told this is where the sludge causes a problem. How hard is it to visually check the PCV valve on this van?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,056 Posts
PCV valve is bolted into the valve cover, front bank on the driver's side:

The PCV valve will already be dirty by 50k miles, though there is no specific replacement schedule for it.

Sludge can also gum up the VCM spool valves. No hydraulic lifters to worry about.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yea. The seats and interior trim were swapped out with another Odyssey. My wife commented she didn’t like the lighter colour leather and when we went back. Voila magic, a darker interior. Motivated dealer. Maybe the sludge made them do it.
So they swapped out a full tan interior for the Mocha? Seats, door panels, carpet, rear panels and the lower dash board???? Holy $hit$ that's a project. They must have had a wrecked one in the back. What a pain in the butt to do!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So they swapped out a full tan interior for the Mocha? Seats, door panels, carpet, rear panels and the lower dash board???? Holy $hit$ that's a project. They must have had a wrecked one in the back. What a pain in the butt to do!
I am new to Honda (been Toyota for decades) but the VIN tag on a Honda, does it note the interior and exterior colours?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts