Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 EX. Just changed the oil and noticed a high frequency metalic clicking sound from the engine, louder underneath the engine. It increases with engine speed. The rub is the car has 60,900 miles -just out of warantee. Here is a video of the sound
. It is hard to hear over the other engine noises, it is more noticeable live. It is more noticeable in the video when the engine is reved.

1. Is this noise a problem? It definetely is related to the lower engine and not the valve train.

2. Will Honda cover it even though I am 900 miles out of warantee?

If they will, I will take it to the dealer. If not I will live with it.

Rick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a better video so the sound is more audible. The sound is only there when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Two things: Thats really close to the end of the warranty. They may cover it. But How did the oil change go? If it started right after that, could you have a problem like a collapsed filter or underfilled oil? If I were you, I'd redo it. Its cheap and easy, plus the dealer wont find some collapsed filter on the engine and immediately blame you and not cover the engine repair (if needed)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the oil level. I heard the noise before the oil change, I was hoping the change would fix the knocking.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hard to say for sure. One thing I've heard, Honda can and does do goodwill work for customers just outside warranty. Call Honda directly and ask first. My guess based on the sound is a tensioner gone bad. If oil is good (check the level) and all other maintenance have a dealer check it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is that the ticking sound that you're talking about? When I'm on the freeway and I accelerate I hear some metal ticking sound like a muffled diesel engine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ticking sound I hear is like 5-7 times per second, all the time. The sound you describe it typical of all engines in my experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts