Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! While Highway Driving, The Engine Stalled for a Second...All lights on the Dash came on like when you turn Ignition on.... It seems to restarted and I continued Driving...... I am Begining To Hate This Honda........ Anyone Had This Happen? Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a '99 EX and I just had the exact same thing happen last week. I used this forum to find the cure. I'd bet it's the ignition switch like stated above. The part number is 35130-S0X-305... $43 bucks from my local dealer. Gonna swap it out this weekend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ditto here.... I recently had this issue on my '02 and it was the ignition switch.... interesting how this is occurring allot lately.

Also, don't hate the Honda; it's only a machine and as she gets older she will need things.... sometimes it does seem that everything happens at once. But honestly, it's cheaper to keep repairing than to have a car note (unless you're independently wealthy and can pay cash!!)

Last night on NOVA there was an episode on a 1966 Volvo that had 2.7-million miles on it. The guy was a science teacher somewhere in the Mid-West (I think) and his answer to keeping the car going was not the over-all quality of the vehicle, but regular maintenance and when things break (as they obviously will) fix them and the car may last you a lifetime. The episode did mention that the car was dealer maintained it's entire life and had two engine rebuilds.... although the first was not until 688.000-miles.

NOVA: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/car-with-most-mileage.html

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a '99 EX and I just had the exact same thing happen last week. I used this forum to find the cure. I'd bet it's the ignition switch like stated above. The part number is 35130-S0X-305... $43 bucks from my local dealer. Gonna swap it out this weekend.
I'm pretty sure that it SHOULD be done for free by the dealer, since it is a recalled item (even if the recall replacement has been done before). If your dealer does not honor that, call another one. The only risk is that you take it in and they charge you for diagnosis, then say it is something else ==> then you pay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a Lot all ! I'm only worried it stalls when the Wife is drivin the Kids...
Will do a Check and Update you.......Thanks again

·
Registered
317 Posts
I changed the switch today, it took me about an hour and half. Hopefully the problem is gone, it was sporadic after all, "check engine" light I had is gone too. I'll see if it returns during the week.

According to my Honda Owner link, my Ody's VIN does show it had the repair done previously. However, when I took out the switch today it was different. The original switch was one harness from the key switch to the fuse panel. The new one had another 2 plugs that went to other places on the steering column. The Ody did have this additional harness but it was separate, now on the new one it was all integrated into one multi-headed harness.

Still easy to install and figure out, all the plugs are unique so it's not like you can mess up where anything goes.

Ody started up just fine, no codes or flashing lights or anything. We'll see how it operates these coming weeks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok..Took the Car to Danforth Honda...They said Because of VIN # My 1999 Odyssey Is Not Under a Recall, When i asked about Buying the switch, The Price is Four Hundred Something...About Five with Tax......... i'm Wondering What Part IGOBUK Got For $43?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
PN is 35130-s0x-305 for my '99. I made the "s" and "x" lower case so you can see that is a zero, not the letter "o".
google for that and you'll see it available for < $40.

When the dealer did it, it was listed as "Recall - 99HOZ (CAMPAIGN / RECALL)" on the service order.

TSB A02-031 lists 97-00 Odyssey as covered by the recall. When they say your VIN ... they may mean that their records indicate the recall has already been done on your car and they won't do it again. I got that story once, so I bought the part and did it myself. Later, I checked and got the story that the recall will be honored even if it has already been done. Check another dealer if you're in doubt.

That $400+ quote may be for the mechanical part of the switch (where the key goes in). The $40 part is the electrical part on the back of that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is Bad? The Wire Harness Part # 35130-S0X-305 Or The Actual Mechanical Switch with Key? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
What is Bad? The Wire Harness Part # 35130-S0X-305 Or The Actual Mechanical Switch with Key? Thanks!
The electrical $40 portion of it. Pull the steering column and you will see it on the end of the ignition switch. Follow the wires down the steering column, unplug it from the fuse box. Two small screws on the ignition switch, pull off and install new switch.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It could also be the mechanical portion of the switch as well. My sister had the exact same problem with her '99 (electrical portion had already been replaced), and it turned out to be the mechanical section (see my post to another thread with the details) which really surprised me.

It's definitely cheaper and easier to try the electrical portion first, although if you want to narrow it down, you can separate the electrical portion from the mechanical portion of the switch (and start the car with a screwdriver, you still need the key in the mechanical section to unlock the steering wheel as well as to satisfy the security system) and let it hang down from underneath the dash.

If the problem doesn't happen when you do so, then you're probably looking at replacing the whole shebang (dealer quote is about right for that).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I did the electrical portion on my 00 Ody. Haven't had any issues since, been since spring of last year. For the price of the part, I didn't even bother calling the stealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think its limited to the 2001.......if you have this problem , have your VIN # and Call your Local dealer......GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok..Took the Car to Danforth Honda...They said Because of VIN # My 1999 Odyssey Is Not Under a Recall, When i asked about Buying the switch, The Price is Four Hundred Something...About Five with Tax......... i'm Wondering What Part IGOBUK Got For $43?
Hey Toronto, I listed the part number above. It's been a couple of days and still no Check engine light anymore and the van is running fine. Like I said, it took an hour an a half and basic tools... philips head screwdriver, 10mm socket and a small flat head screwdriver to help undo harnesses.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being that I just replaced the Ignition Switch in my '02 (prod dte 11.01) and reading about the issues others have had with this component I started to "Google" the ignition switch issue and found that basically Honda has had recalls for the ignition switch from '97 all the way through '04. These recalls included Elements, Odysseys, Accords and Civics - it seems to me that something like the ignition switch should last the life of a vehicle, barring that vehicle lasting 30 or more years.

I might have to start my letter writing campaign (again) to Honda to get them to pay for it.... it worked for my transmission! Interestingly, I was not confident in doing this repair, so I "Googled" instructions and came across VERY detailed (as in 19-pages with pictures) on step by step how to do the job. It took me 2-hours.... yes, I'm an amateur at this and don't like to be in weird positions so.... I did removed the drivers seat so I could sit on the floor-board to work on it. Just in-case you're curious the seat is quite heavy - much heavier than it looks - and I'm certain my neighbours got a kick out of watching me wrestle that thing out of the Ody.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Toronto, I listed the part number above. It's been a couple of days and still no Check engine light anymore and the van is running fine. Like I said, it took an hour an a half and basic tools... philips head screwdriver, 10mm socket and a small flat head screwdriver to help undo harnesses.

Thanks Much Igobuk.......WAY Too Cold And Many Snow to Work...Hope it Holds for A Bit............. Thanks All!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts