Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 1995 Honda Odyssey that originally had the F22B6. It had some blowback, made some ticks, and was around 220k. I wanted to know for sure I would have something reliable so I swapped it for a JDM F22B. The swap went well.

On the F22B I currently have in the van it makes some ticks, and has some blowback (the last engine did also). So I took an extra step and had the head rebuilt, and of course all the related gaskets replaced plus the pvc valve.

I still have blowback, does anyone have any ideas?

Also, How much ticking is normal on these engines? I have a tick that continues even when the engine is warm, and it will change with acceleration.
Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any info..

·
Registered
946 Posts
How about a clogged cat converter? Would too much back pressure cause that?

I had a '96 Accord 4-cyl, and that engine ticked no matter what, even after adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Blow back is norally from stuck piston rings, or very well worn cylinders. So I'm confused why anyone rebuilt the head for you.

And for stuck rings with blow back occuring, no amount of Seafoam or AutoRX garbage will fix your problem.

You need a new motor. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I would have thought the same thing, that it was a problem with the engine due to the blowback, however, both engines have the exact same symptoms, they both have blowback, and they both tick.

The cylinders are definitely not well worn, One of the engines (the original) still had crosshatch patterns in the cylinder walls from a rebuild that was done just prior to my owning it.
The newer engine I just had the head off of the other day and the cylinder walls are in great shape, this engine couldn't even have 50k on it..

And prior to installing the engine (original head on) I compression tested it and all cylinders read 180 pounds except one, it was 172, so within 10% of the others.. but somehow both blocks have blowback..

I can understand why the one with crosshatch patterns would have blowback as it hasn't fully broken in yet (maybe someone was running synthetics and slowing the process or something)

and as for the head being rebuilt, It had a tick to it, which annoyed me, so I pulled it and hoped to nab 2 birds with one stone.. So it wasn't some non-knowing mechanic giving me bad advice, I knew the block with its current head tested in the 180's and I figured maybe a stuck valve was causing the blowback, and/or bad valve seating..

The thing that confuses me, How can that thing test out around 180 and still have blowback? Maybe I need to better test for blowback (currently just using my hand)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think the cat might be a good thing to check into, I remember when I was working at a dealership they had a camaro that was running really hot and it was due to a clogged cat..

I read on some other forms and heard of people mentioning ticking noises while their vans (and some accords) were still under warranty, So I am under the impression that some ticking is to be expected from these. (Nothing bad mind you, I am just picky)

The cat is definitely worth a check though, Thanks Walt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts