Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine/Tranny Whine/whirring sound?

I did a search and did find some similar threads, but not one that matches my issue.

Have a 2005 with 76,000 miles on it.

I am getting a whirring type sound type sound in every gear at appx 1900-2000 rpms. Basically, when accelerating, it will whine at 1900-2000 in first gear...goes above that and the whine goes away. Shifts into 2nd, tach drops and begines to climb....whine come back at 1900 and goes away around 2050-2100 rpms....same thing through 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

My dilemma now is that I have a family vacation planned leaving Monday for 350 miles each way, and I just had to cancel it as I can't take the fam of 5 in the car with this problem lurking.

The car seems to shift fine, throwing no codes, don't notice anything other than the whine. (I don't think its the power steering unit, as we had that replaced under warantee, and the noise was a little different than this noise)

For the heck of it, I tried it when in the driveway in park, and I did not notice the whine at 1900-2000 rpms....but then I rev'd it up to 2500 or so and took my foot of the pedal the whine came back for an instant or so when hitting that 1950 or so rpm mark on the way down.

Sorry for the long post.:confused:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Make the change over to a good synthetic oil like Amsoil ATF fluid. Try to keep the rpms below 3.5 while driving. When you get back, add in a transmission cooler and filter, and change fluid again. You can only change 3 quarts of the system at once. Which, doesn't get all of the old stuff out of there. You need to change out the fluid 3 or 4 times before you've made a full switch to synthetic.

Have a great trip!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, got back from the dealer....and all it was was the heat shield.....problem solved.
I do have a tranny cooler installed...thanks for the tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts