Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today while sitting in a drive thru I noticed this little whiney noise coming from the front of the van. I made a short video of it below. Any idea what could be causing this?

Also, my Odyssey engine has always seemed to have a pretty nosier than normal "rotating belt sound"....sorry whatever you call the engine sound where its basically the engine turning and running. I hear some other Odysseys and while you can here the da-da-da-da-da-da noise of the belts turning, mine sounds so much louder. You can prolly pick up on that too in the video. This sound normal or something causing that as well?

Sorry for the plane going overhead lol. Didn't realize how loud that was until after I uploaded the vid, but the whiney noise can still be heard pretty easily.

IMG_0354.MOV

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
My ears aren't good enough to pick out the whiney from the other sounds, including aircraft drone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ears aren't good enough to pick out the whiney from the other sounds, including aircraft drone.
Last 10 seconds when I get by the wheel is the clearest. I'll try to make another video when I get home. Thx for trying though

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,308 Posts
I hear some other Odysseys and while you can here the da-da-da-da-da-da noise of the belts turning, mine sounds so much louder. You can prolly pick up on that too in the video. This sound normal or something causing that as well?
Blind guess, maybe the sound you're hearing is the classic tapping sound of a failing timing belt tensioner? Or maybe you need a valve adjustment? Neither would surprise me, especially if you have not replaced the timing belt + related parts like the tensioner before.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can hear the high pitched whining.. Sorry, I wouldn't know where that may be coming from. Does the pitch or volume change with engine RPM change?
tap-tap-tap may be just valve sound OR TB tensioner. Was TB work done? was tensioner changed? Is the tapping sound louder on passenger side?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
By "whiney" noise, do you mean the sound that a horse makes or my wife?
;)

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's your alternator! I had the same noise happen to me on Monday. It completely died the next day while out and had to have it towed. I'd get the alternator replaced ASAP. You can also take it to a mechanic and they should be able to test the battery/alternator for free.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Running the engine without the serpentine belt will quickly determine if it is alternator or not.

If it is your alternator, make sure your replacement alternator is a Denso brand. Insist on this. Remanufactured Denso is fine.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can also take it to a mechanic and they should be able to test the battery/alternator for free.
While some chain stores advertise free testing to draw customers in, most shops do not do work, even testing, for free. Just don't want you having unrealistic expectations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts