Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am 3 months into my new 2011 sienna.

So i am going to final my report as promised when i bought the 07 odyssey as experiment.

The Oddity was sold in feb while wife and i were debating which trim and version of sienna to get.

So we ended up with Pre-dawn grey limited AWD with premium pkg and HID pkg.

Oddity was trade in to dealer for $17k with 29k on odometer. Total out of door on the sienna was $46k include tax.

So here goes the comparison

Power train.
2011 Sienna A
2008 Sienna B+
2007 Odyssey C

The 11 sienna 3.5 V6 with the new 6 speed transmission is awesome and it the benchmark of the class. It always finds right gear and eager to downshift. Power delivery is silken smooth.

While the engine is carry over from the 08, the shift is so smooth you can't feel it. The 08 has a little unwillingness to downshift. But -11 is just great.

Compare to 07 Odyssey. The honda V6 felt weak at low end and top end it gets loud. Transmission on the odyssey is not as smooth as compare to my 08 and 11.

Interior Material

11 Sienna- C+
08 Sienna- B+
Odyssey-B

This is personal preference of mine. The 11 sienna interior is very nice, the wood on the dash, the buttons are nice to touch. The biggest surprise. The fat steering wheel feels so good in your hand. The leather is great. But why did i give it C+? There are two things really bugged me- 1. I hate the dash material- hard plastic blows. 2. Some de-contenting on the dash buttons. For example, -11 sienna has light telling you that you are cycling interior air. But there is no indication if AC is on. For god sake, how much is a single LED cost. Totally unacceptable.

08- Sienna- the dash is soft to the dash and buttons are clearly illuminated. The only down side is the plastic looking fake wood

07- Odyssey-
Leather did not held up well over time. Carpet looked quiet bad after 29k miles.

Stereo-
-11 Sienna- A
-07 Odyssey- B
-08 Sienna- D

The 2011 sienna JBL system blows away the crappy EX-L stereo in the honda in terms of clarity and bass. The resonance in the 2011 sienna cabin makes you feel like you are in mini concert hall. The bass is strong and does not distort how clean the sound is. This is one of the best Toyota system i have heard and come quiet close to the BMW new stereo in the new 7.

In addition, the head unit with USB port allowed my iphone to be controlled via the head unit/steering wheel. All the titles, play lists... are displayed on the screen. Nice.

07- Odyssey. I got to say the head unit clarity is great. And there are less distortion compare to my 08 sienna. But its not match to the 11 Sienna

08- Sienna- By far the worse system ever made. Even in the JBL form. Its a piece of crap that needs to be dumped in the trash.

Navigation-

-11 Sienna A
-08 Sienna B
-07 Odyssey B-

-11 Sienna now comes with real traffic. In my recent trip from LA back to Fremont. It works great. It re-routed me to avoid traffic out of LA. I made it from Rowland height to Fremont in slightly over 5 hours and never hit any traffic. Voice recognition is excellent too. I have very bad chinese accent. But it picks up my voice very well. In addition, Toyota kept some function available while in motion. This system is great. The only down side is that there is 1 to 2 second delay is switching between screens. Quiet annoying. BTW did i mention is also support BT audio streaming.

-07 Odyssey- on par with 08 sienna except some menu structure is not well designed. No logical flow on menu structure.

-08 Sienna. The biggest beef i have is that the Bluetooth on the 08 units does not recognize iphone contact. Plus voice recognition is so so. But it was able to load faster.

Handling
11- Sienna A-
07- Odyssey A-
08- Sienna B-

11- sienna handles as well as the 07 odyssey. The new sienna does not have the floaty ride and excessive body roll. The -11 sienna is extremely stable at triple digit speed. Lane change body motion is well controlled. The only down side is that at low speed the steering response is little over boosted. But as speed picks up, the steering tightens. Not too bad from a people mover from toyota. (Funny thing is that i drove the new F10 550i, and steering response is total disaster. I found it amusing that BMW can screw up the new 5 so bad to a point i actually would rate the new sienna steering response over it).

07 odyssey- I will say this. Odyssey remains the best minivan on steering response. Kudo to honda on this. But the body motion control on odyssey is just poor. This thing hates sudden change in direction. Feels bulky.

08 Sienna- worst steering response of the three. The crappy 17" tires has minimum grip.

Brake-
2011 Sienna A
07 odyssey A-
08 Sienna F

The new sienna brake is just awesome. Great stopping power. The response is very linear.

Odyssey brake is also one of the best in this market. However, i had 2 set of warped pads. So it got deduct for that.

08 Sienna- worst brake feel in the class. Stopping distance is not too good either. But never fades nor warp.

Fuel consumption

08 Sienna A
07 Odyssey D
11 Sienna C

08 sienna averaged slightly over 20 mpg at 65k miles

07 Odyssey averaged 17.1 mpg over its 29k miles

11 sienna average 17.1 so far.

I really can't make a fair comparison, since the 08 sienna is FWD. The 11 sienna weights 500 lbs heavier with AWD. But gas consumption on the sienna is a step backward.

Overall-

The 2011 sienna is a huge step forward as compare to the current gen odyssey and previous gen Sienna.

Lousy brake is a thing of the past on sienna. The cabin is so quiet at any speed. Minimal noise from the tires and underneath the car. This thing absorbs bumps on the road like a champ. Such a smooth ride.

Handling is also on par if not better than Odyssey. The new sienna really handles well and does not feel as fat as the oddity.

Interior- I will say this. Sienna center dash is so well designed with minim buttons. I can't stand honda's design. So busy and full of useless buttons.

Right now the 2011 sienna is the best minivan on the market. Nothing comes close to it at this moment. I really don't see how anyone can pick the current oddity over the new gen Sienna. The new gen sienna is just so much better.

Anyway- pict will be up later tonight.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Brakes are a funny thing. The brakes on our 03 are the best I've ever imagined, much less ever heard of! At 154,000 miles, the rotors are still factory original and easily still thick enough based on the specs. Front pads have averaged 50k miles and rears 70k.

Braking is still butter smooth, linear and fade free - even when I'm pulling our popup trailer. How day doo dat?

I hope you are right about the handling and steering on the new Sienna. I've driven two 04s and one 07 and the driving experience was similar to a mid 1990's Buick full size sedan. Think tug boat.

Friends just got an 11 Sienna XLE and I noticed that the 6 speed trans is manually selectable. That's a highly desireable feature for guys like me who tow. Not having a D4 option on the Ody has made several towing days crabby ones for me.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
krispykreme said:
07 Odyssey D
11 Sienna C

07 Odyssey averaged 17.1 mpg over its 29k miles

11 sienna average 17.1 so far.
So a Toyota getting 17.1 gets a C, but a Honda getting 17.1 gets a D. Yeah, you are not biased! :stupid: I'ved missed you KK......

You also forgot to mention the subjective category of looks, so I'll add some food for thought:

11 Sienna A
08-10 Ody B
11 Ody F-

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Re: Re: Epilogue: Wrap up of 07 Odyssey, 08 Sienna, and 11 Sienna report

psu ody fan said:
So a Toyota getting 17.1 gets a C, but a Honda getting 17.1 gets a D. Yeah, you are not biased! :stupid: I'ved missed you KK......
I was going to bring that up yesterday when I first read the review. Although KK has improved a lot on his presentation, it seems he still is biased. There were so many threads for the dismal Oddy MPG with pix and what not and all that name calling and all and when the 2011 Toyota gets the same MPG, there is just this one line and that's it.

I also prefer the Honda NAV system over Toyota's so I don't understand the 08 Sienna scoring higher in the NAV dept. than an Oddy but everyone's entitled to their opinions. Haven't seen a 2011 Toyota NAV system to compare at all.

Frankly speaking, when I opened the thread, I was expecting KK to score the Oddy as Z in every category. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Very interesting observations.
But I don't think comparing a 2011 Sienna to a 2007 Odyssey is 100% valid.

You say you're comparing the 2011 Sienna to the current generation Odyssey. I don't know where the 2011 Sienna is on it's generation time line, but the 2011 Sienna should only be compared to the 2011 Odyssey.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Steve P said:
Very interesting observations.
But I don't think comparing a 2011 Sienna to a 2007 Odyssey is 100% valid.
This pains me to type, but I think I've got to support the krispy kritter here. He is comparing what he had experience with. The 07 Ody isn't drastically different from the 10 that is available today...although the part of giving a 3 year van a bad rating for "dirty carpet" compared to a brand new 11 is kind of hokey. :rolleyes:

I'll say that when buying a new van last July, the Ody over the Sienna was a no-brainer for me. However, if I was in the market today, the 11 Sienna looks like a much strong competitor to the Ody that is currently available. The pending 11 Ody does nothing to distance itself (can you say fugly?). Maybe it will look better in person. The only thing I can say is that if someone stole my Ody tonight, there is a very strong likelyhood that I'd go Toyo for the replacement.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Epilogue: Wrap up of 07 Odyssey, 08 Sienna, and 11 Sienna report

dvpatel said:
I was going to bring that up yesterday when I first read the review. Although KK has improved a lot on his presentation, it seems he still is biased. There were so many threads for the dismal Oddy MPG with pix and what not and all that name calling and all and when the 2011 Toyota gets the same MPG, there is just this one line and that's it....
My thoughts as well. If he wasn't biased, he would have given this poor Toyota fuel economy performance the same amount of press coverage.

However, bias is not without its market value. There's still work of this sort to be had with the NY Times.

One point I can agree on...Toyota has always given the driver control over the transmission. You can select 4th gear in a Toyota transmission while performing light towing. Honda pre-empts us, and does not allow its drivers to select 4th gear, instead only allowing either 3rd or 5th. I'll bet the new 6-spd allows user selection of any gear, as well. To me, this is no small point.

OF

Edited for: added transmission verbiage

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
psu ody fan said:
This pains me to type, but I think I've got to support the krispy kritter here. He is comparing what he had experience with. The 07 Ody isn't drastically different from the 10 that is available today...although the part of giving a 3 year van a bad rating for "dirty carpet" compared to a brand new 11 is kind of hokey. :rolleyes:

I'll say that when buying a new van last July, the Ody over the Sienna was a no-brainer for me. However, if I was in the market today, the 11 Sienna looks like a much strong competitor to the Ody that is currently available. The pending 11 Ody does nothing to distance itself (can you say fugly?). Maybe it will look better in person. The only thing I can say is that if someone stole my Ody tonight, there is a very strong likelyhood that I'd go Toyo for the replacement.
OK, I get that. I guess I was looking at the comparison as if it was written for someone deciding which van to buy new. Someone in the market for a new van wouldn't be looking at a 2007 Ody, and wouldn't be comparing a new model to something four model years older. But I see his point of view now.

I'm with you on what if my Ody were stolen tonight. If no new 2010s were available I'd get a used 2010 before a new 2011.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Elections!

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
When we got our 2007, I didn't even sit in a Sienna and test drive it. Didn't have regrets. I did how ever have a regret of not trying out a Quest (just for the sake of my sheer love for the almight VQ). The reason we didn't even go to a Toyota dealership was because we both didn't like the looks of a 2007 Sienna (purely a personal opinion). I have seen the photos of the 2011 Oddy and I would side with PSU and say that I too would get a 2011 (or 2012) Sienna over the 2011+ Oddy not only for my increasing dislike for Honda as a product but also because I absolutely hate the new look of the oddy (same reason we didn't get a Sienna remember).

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I've got to drive out to Indianapolis next week, so I told the guy at the rental agency to try to hold a 2011 Sienna for me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Re: Re: Epilogue: Wrap up of 07 Odyssey, 08 Sienna, and 11 Sienna report

psu ody fan said:

You also forgot to mention the subjective category of looks, so I'll add some food for thought:

11 Sienna A
08-10 Ody B
11 Ody F-
You know- sometime i really would appreciate this board can learn to read.

In case you missed it. My Sienna is AWD. Last time i check Oddity is FWD. I gave Sienna a C because of AWD. I would gave it a D if it is FWD like the oddity.

Here are some pictures

1. Simple dash bottons

2. Nice Factory HID

3. Only 360+ to the tank (then again i kind of was speeding with 4 aboard)

4. WooHoo- Contact on Iphone 4 transfered over.

5. Recognize my Iphone as ipod- with full control from navi screen

I will not bring subjective look into the report. Each person has his/her preference on appearance. Not going to go there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psu ody fan said:

1. I gave oddity carpet bad rating because it worns out prematurely.

The leather wasn't holding up as well.

The 11 is brand new hence i did not comment on whether it will hold up or not.

The 08 and 04 sienna i had all held up extremely well over time with much more abuse. Hence i have to give the nod to Toyota. At least on carpeting and leather they have not failed me.

I ranked Odyssey second over the -11 sienna. Because toyota did de-content the van for 11.

Not only the plastic blows. The rear view camera sensor is also quiet bad. It appears that Toyota copied honda in using lower resolution camera sensor. Just bad.

I never commented on 11 sienna's carpeting.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts

krispykreme said:
In case you missed it. My Sienna is AWD. Last time i check Oddity is FWD. I gave Sienna a C because of AWD. I would gave it a D if it is FWD like the oddity.
Sure, that makes sense. :confused: :alky: Enjoy your Sienna.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts

krispykreme said:
You know- sometime i really would appreciate this board can learn to read.

In case you missed it. My Sienna is AWD. Last time i check Oddity is FWD. I gave Sienna a C because of AWD. I would gave it a D if it is FWD like the oddity....
No, we didn't miss it. We saw that, quit pontificating (yes, you're at it again...nice to see the "inner you" hasn't changed :D ).

It just amazes us that with a light duty AWD system, and the number of years experience Toyo has with this (they made a nice AWD system for the Previa in the 90's, and other platforms over time), why they can't get the MPG numbers up. Still stuck in the 90's, but at least these are reliable light duty AWD systems, like Subaru employs; I'll take the sucky mileage for AWD that works, but it's still a D. Mileage is mileage.

Enjoy the ride.

OF

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
krispykreme said:
So? There's probably a weight difference also. And a different aerodynamic cross section. And different engine sizes. Bottom line is still MILEAGE. And your numbers say both get the same mileage.

4. WooHoo- Contact on Iphone 4 transfered over.

What's your point? My Odyssey imported my Blackberry contacts.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
;)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Steve P said:
Oh, yeah. Now it makes sense.
That makes ONE thing in this thread that makes sense. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts