Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I've been posting here off and on for years. I searched the sight for a similar problem and didn't find one.

I have a 2000 Odyssey, 202K miles, original transmission. Timing belt replaced at 108K along with water pump

After sitting a weekend in the cold temps without being driven, Monday morning I back it up my driveway, pull back into the road , put it in drive and hear a clunk followed by me pressing on the gas and no getting anywhere. TCS light is on.

Put the car back in park, turned it off, started it back up, no lights, put it in drive, I take off and drive about another mile, this time while driving down the road, same thing, except now the van dies, all the lights on the dash come on and I coast into a parking lot (in the 2 miles or so I drive it back no issues with driving in 1,2,or 3).

Now I've decided the transmission is dead - not a shock, I've been waiting for this day to come. Put the van in 3rd, drive it home and park it.

Decided I was going to mess with it today, turn it on and it has the check engine light on (no TCS, no blinking D) so I pull out my code reader and its throwing two codes P1361, P1366 which I've looked up and is TDC1 and TDC2? That makes no sense, the car is idling fine, the motor is running great - no issues there.

Is there anyway that a P1361 or P1366 could cause what I described above and it not be my tranny?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and as a follow up this isn't a one time thing. I can clear out the codes and it throws them again.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I would say it is a possibility as the TDC sensors are connected to the PCM. Get the TDC sensors and their circuits checked out.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Can't really give you any constructive advice but chimed in anyway. I've owned 4 odysseys including a 2002 that lost its tran at about 35000 miles. It had to be dragged to the dealer behind a tow truck. I haven't read through the forums to see what others experienced when they lost theirs but something just doesn't sound right. My gut is the problem is not the transmission......this time anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I agree with robie - I would not immediately think this is the AT. Lucky you for making it so far on the original.

I had a P1366 on my '99 a few years back. I always make a log when I get a code, in case a pattern emerges, so here are the notes from that episode. Two days earlier, I had done some cleaning in the engine compartment (warm, dry weather) and probably got some water where I should not have.

"Problem - CEL on; TCS light on, then off; [my wife] said car was intermittently jerking back and forth (happened 3 times on the way to the gym and back - starting from a stop sign, then twice on the freeway at speed). At home, TCS light was off, test drive around the block normal, engine code P1361 Ignition System or Misfire (according to OBD reader). Honda list showed P1361 Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor Intermittent Interruption. Other info: You need to check for loose terminals or poor connections in the circuit, including ground. P1361 refers to a problem in the TDC1, Sensor Terminal 1, PCM Terminal C20, Green colored wire. Further cleaning + testing, removing the camshaft sensor plug got codes P1361, P1366, and P1367 to fire. I think it was just that things maybe got a little wet following the spraydown on Sunday. Cleaned camshaft sensor plug with brake cleaner + compressed air. After doing this, no problems."

So basically, I found the camshaft sensor connector and cleaned/blew it out with compressed air and it was fine. I might have also parked it in the sun with the hood open.

Also, when ANYTHING electrical happens on the Honda, I always do a quick check on the ignition switch - I can do this in about 5 minutes now. You might want to search on that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses.

I was so sure the tranny was dead I bought another car. I'm gonna feel stupid if this is just a nuisance fix. Then again, how can I complain about a 12 year old car that has given me 202K miles of virtually trouble free driving? Even if it isn't the tranny - as far as my wife is concerned it was. I'm not going to hear about how I jumped the gun and bought a car for no reason the next 6 months.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's and partly sunny. I'm going to spend the day under the hood and see what I find. I have a CD of the service manual around here somewhere, but if someone has a PDF of where these TDC sensors are, that would be great. I'll also read up about how to check the ignition switch.

I'll probably be back with more questions.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You need to check the senses. They both plug in a four pin plug. Check it for corrosion. Un plug the connector and measure the resistance of each sensor. It should be 1800 to 2450 ohms. Reconnect connector and measure each pin to ground. There should be no continuity. From there you need to check the cables back to the PCM.
Pins 1-2 of the connector are TDC1 and pins 3-4 are TDC2.
Predicting engine and transmission problems can't always be predicted. When you have failures always fix the obvious addefinedwd failure first. The not so obvious ones will usually go away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cleaned the TDC sensor this morning with some MAF cleaning solution, blow dried it and cleaned the area around. Took me all of 20 minutes

Drove the van about 4 miles and couldn't get it to fail. I'm not 100% sure its fixed but last week it would have failed by now.

I'm an idiot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts