Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us know, the Ody is distributed all over the world. Some also know that countries other than the US get goodies we do not (i.e. Canadian heated mirrors). In my quest for a fire extinuisher and braket made for the Ody, my focus has narrowed to locating someone that can import Honda parts from Europe or export parts to North America. I've checked all the usual suspects (HandA, JDM, Manchester) and none have access to anything other than North American parts. If anyone has any ideas on an importer or exporter, I would love to find out what is available and share it with the group.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really miss heated side mirrors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we can locate a European parts retailer, I suspect the mirrors can be retrofitted. I'll bet Honda uses the same wiring harness for all its Odys regardless of where they are destined.

------------------
Craig

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
If we can locate a European parts retailer, I suspect the mirrors can be retrofitted. I'll bet Honda uses the same wiring harness for all its Odys regardless of where they are destined.

</font>
The heated mirrors can be bought in Canada and installed. Why look for em in Europe?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by piyush:
The heated mirrors can be bought in Canada and installed. Why look for em in Europe?
</font>
If you go back to the beginning of the thread, my search for non-North American parts started with a Honda fire extinguisher and mount usually found in the European market. If you have those mounted as a requirement in Canada, I'd love to hear about it.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
... I'll bet Honda uses the same wiring harness for all its Odys regardless of where they are destined.</font>
Celler,

Unfortunately, it's not a very good bet. Take a look at the schematics in the ETM and you'll see a lot of differences, LX vs. EX, NAVI vs. non, and year-to-year.

Mel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So long as the 2002 EX-L in the USA has the same harness as an 2002 EX-L in say, Sweden, it really doesn't matter if they differ between trims of the same model or model year. I would expect substantial differences between the harnesses of the EX and LX because of the electric doors and other features.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that the Canadian EX and the US EX do not share the same harness. I wanted to activate the Canadian DTRL's on my US Ody EX. Completely different wiring, receptacles and connectors. Can't be done using the existing US harness.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do not think Honda makes Odyssey for the European countries. The closest I can find is the 'Streamer' in U.K.
And the only Ody similar to our Canadian/U.S./Mexico version is the LAGREAT in Japan. Most other countries's Odysseys are our pre-99' versions. We are lucky to have this bigger and much more powerful Odyssey in here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that's a good point. If the Odyssey is not sold in Europe, then there likely is no stock fire extinguisher mount. I have not been able to to find anything similar on the Swedish or German sites.

I guess I expected the Ody to be a "world car". Hopefully one of our European members will confirm or deny this issue.

Thanks again for your help.

------------------
Craig

·
Registered
233 Posts
The 'world car'version of the Odyssey is the 1995 -98 version which is still being sold everywhere else in the world (some places it is called the Shuttle). You can get it with the 2.3 litre VTEC or a 3 litre V6. Japanese versions seem to have the option of AWD with the V6. The 2002 'world version'' has a 'refreshed' front end, headlights and alloy wheels. Most consumers in other parts of the world can't afford to pay the gas bills for the big Odyssey since fuel prices are so high everywhere but the States and a few oil-rich countries. I drive a 98 Odyssey and I appreciate the fuel efficiency but the small Odyssey was never a big seller in Canada.

·
Registered
38 Posts
;)

just to set a period over here:
the Ody is not for sale at all in Europe! (Honda Europe)

It was as a so called "Shuttle" until 1998.

We shipped our 2001 Ody EX to Germany and it took us a year to find others that drive or want to own one.

So, if there is anybody in Germany do not hesitate to contact me. I've located two dealerships that either sell Odys and/or do the maintanance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
fire extinguisher

I've been pondering the same myself, I'd like to find a good place inside the Ody to permenantly mount a fire extingisher, something solid that wouldn't detatch in case of an accident and would be fairly handy. I don't like drilling holes in the plastic interior and running the risk of breaking an interior panel, but there aren't may options. I'm considering mounting one under the front seats if I can find one that will fit and still have a decent capacity. so far the only ones I've come across are dry chemical and I'm trying to go with a CO2 type (dry chemical is very corrosive, CO2 is much easier on electrical components). If you find one that you like please post.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can mount one where the jack is stored and the jack to where the donut spare is. You can wrap the jack in a towel and put it right in the spare. no chance of it banging around.!!!!!!!!!!!
Just a thought feel free to elaborate.!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
And to make it even clearer:

Yes, the Ody was sold in Europe, BUT only the 1. gen Ody called Honda Shuttle (RA1 and RA3) until 1999!!!

We never officially had the 'new' ody models in Europe.

The successor to the Honda Shuttle is (at least here in Germany) the smaller Honda Stream.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please guys,

don't be so mean - I guess he really wants to to know where to place his distinguisher. Me only guess is: just put it between the two front seats...

:cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Fire Extinguisher Location

It would certainly be pretty easy to mount a fire extinguisher between the seats, possibly to either of the seat risers or to the floor.

Depending upon the size of the extinguisher, it might be possible to fabricate a pretty simple attachment to mount a standard extinguisher mount to the area under the driver's seat, either on the front (preferred, I think) or rear. The bolts that hold the seat to the riser could be used to securely fasten the mount.

Mel

·
Registered
52 Posts
fire extinguisher

Gulu:

excellent suggestion on the fire extinguisher, never thought to relocate the jack to the spare tire well. Puts it out of the way but keeps it handy. You should be designing for Honda!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts