Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Is converting an older Honda Odyssey into an electric vehicle a freaking awesome idea?

• Heck yeah and I know a guy who does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Ody EX-L, 3.5 L V6, 112K so far
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van (Bubble Butt) and I had a long talk about her gas guzzling ways. As a single mom to 4 teens, it's getting a little ridiculous cost wise to feed Bubble's appetite.
The van is in good shape and only has about 114K miles on her. I don't want to even think about parting ways with her.
So my questions to all the gurus and Ody enthusiasts on here:
Can I convert Bubble Butt into an all electric vehicle?
Is there a kit of any kind for doing this tried and true out on the American market yet/and are there mechanics skilled in EV conversions to even do this sort of thing?

I saw a story on this cool dude over in England who has been converting all sorts of old and classic cars into EVs. It looks spendy up front but I'm intrigued.
Appreciate all points of view and info on this idea!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
Converting old classics into EVs is one thing. Converting a more modern vehicle with computers controlling things is quite another. If it was possible, it would definitely require fabrication of components.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Converting old classics into EVs is one thing. Converting a more modern vehicle with computers controlling things is quite another. If it was possible, it would definitely require fabrication of components.
I found only this old post about converting an older Ody to a hybrid using an old hybrid Accord for parts.
I see the weight of the 2005 Ody is a big issue.
Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Maybe the 1st gen '95-98 Ody would be a better candidate since it's basically a big Accord with a 4 cylinder.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
I did stumble upon this article:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did stumble upon this article:
So far, I found a guy who added electric motors to a 2014 Odyssey's rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Mom, how many miles do you drive every year? If you drive 10K miles a year, and with gas averaging say $3/gallon, your gas costs are probably about $1500/year.

Anyway, doing a conversion is really an engineering exercise, and you'll never, never, never make up the cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas is averaging about $4 a gallon for 87 octane in Western WA but you are right about recouping costs.
I just find the possibility of converting a van that has good life to electric interesting. If an engineer developed a kit, I would consider it.
Some other components of a gas powered vehicle would go away and thus equate to potential repair cost savings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts