Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Nestor's post in the 'audio/video/navi' forum. The new DVD coming w/ the vans has basically the whole US detailed now. Factor this into your decision as to what model you want.

The biggest argument I've heard against the NAVI is its lack of detailed coverage of the whole US.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The biggest complaint I've heard about the NAVI is that you have to pay for it
But then I live where there has been pretty complete coverage since the beginning...

Love the NAVI!

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me the NAVI is a one-time cost...compare that with my brother's Avalanche...he says he has to pay like $399 a year to get directions from GM via On-Star.

What a rip. I guess Honda does that indirectly w/ their DVD updates. I sure wish Trevor would get them..I'm sure he could undercut Honda's price of $152.

·
Registered
14 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Check Nestor's post in the 'audio/video/navi' forum. The new DVD coming w/ the vans has basically the whole US detailed now. Factor this into your decision as to what model you want.

The biggest argument I've heard against the NAVI is its lack of detailed coverage of the whole US.
</font>

I have ordered the RES model instead of the NAV model. The reason? You can get a handy GPS system for under $700 with the same functionality but with much BETTER coverage and mapping. I don't know if the club administrator allows me to post a link here, checkout the Garmin StreetPilot III (http://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/index.html), it offers the same thing as the NAV but more handy and cheaper.

[This message has been edited by I_Love_Ody (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Actually the biggest complaint against the 'navi' is that you have to buy the leather as well. I have a big dog (Retriever), who absolutely loves leather. How long do you think those seats will last after Max gets his first sniff ?

Tom

·
Registered
564 Posts
I_Love_Ody -

Don't fool yourself. Take it from somebody who knows: I own the new StreetPilot III, and I drive a 2000 ODY with NAV quite often. I've had the SPIII since the day it came out many months ago. It is a fantastic unit for what it is, and think it is the best of its kind. Do NOT think it is the same, or has better coverage than the Honda unit though. Both units have their advantages. And both have their disadvantages. The advantages of the Honda unit far outweigh the disadvantages in my book.

The StreetPilot has the advantage of being portable, but at the same time it is always less integrated and more in the way. To get full US coverage (which is now not as complete as the new Honda software) you need to pay several hundred dollars extra for the software. And, you need to buy very expensive extra memory if you want to fit more than 1/4 of a state in the unit at a time. I live in CA, and have to change software on the unit every time I travel, since it only holds 32MB at a time. The Honda unit, with it's DVD-based maps does not need to be changed for long trips. The SP has neat features like speedometer, top speed, trip computer, sunrise/sunset times. BUT, the screen is MUCH smaller. And really annoying is how you have to enter streets. You use a joy-stick button to scroll through the entire alphabet to pick your letters. On the Honda unit you type it in on the touch-screen. The processor for the Honda unit is MUCH faster. There are huge display delays in the SP, and forget about scrolling across the map manually. Every 1/2 page you have to wait a few seconds for the map to redraw. The Honda unit is real-time scrolling. The Honda unit also has gyro-assist. Comparing the two unit side-by-side, you can see why this is useful. The Honda knows when you've turned. The SP has to wait until you move several hundred feet before it is sure you've made the turn. Makes a difference on small, tight streets.

OK, off my box.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

1 - 6 of 6 Posts