Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news everyone...I've discovering that converting an EX to a NAVI is a very, very, very difficult thing to do. It involves the removal and replacement of the all the wiring harnesses through out the dashboard. Sounds easy right? Wrong!!! We had to not only remove the dashboard - but the entire steering wheel column (includeing shaft), the panels, the glovebox, the gauges, and more!

The good news is (if that's what you can call it) the conversion will still be attempted. That's the best I can say as of now. In theory - it should work! But I am extremely exhausted. Most likely the project should be wrapped up by next week. I hope?

-nemogira

P.S. If you REALLY want to convert to a NAVI - I highly suggest you ask your local dealer. Also make sure you have the $$$. It ain't gonna be cheap.

It's a very sad day in mod-world.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Whew! HAIL TO THE NEW KING OF THE MODIFIERS!!!

Like they say, "One picture is worth a thousand words."

Good luck. You sure are determined. On the other hand, you'll really know how the hell that thing is put together when you're done. That sure looks like one helluva job!

------------------
Chuck
CLICK HERE FOR ODY PICS & PROJECTS

·
Registered
255 Posts
::::facing Vallejo, CA and bowing::::

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
It's a very sad day in mod-world.

[/B]</font>
This looks to me to be the best argument for spending the extra money for the Navi if you've just "have" to have one.

Good luck, Nemogira. I hope you don't have too many parts left over when you get the car back together!

Be Safe,
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Oh ... my ... GOD! Talk about point of no return.
Best of luck to you!

I think this answers the question of why the NAVI is so expensive.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuck, I'm definitely not the King of Modifiers...but maybe of Destruction!

But seriously, after seeing the layout of all those wires you can't help but respect the people that designed and built these things. They are SO COMPLEX!

Intrepid175, my biggest fear right now is putting back all those screws that hold everything into place. Everytime I take apart something - the amount just keeps building up.

-nemogira

P.S. Jim, this is very close to point of no return but, I hope to eventually come back with a...

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
MAN ! I Never would even have the b_lls
to go that far. Very,very brave undertaking there, Nemo. By the time you're done, you can write-up your own shop manual.

Good luck with your project. Hope you can
"get-it-together" soon.

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292654815

·
Registered
261 Posts
awwww maaa gawwd!! oh my god!

man, I salute you. This is like the equivalent to the 19th century expedition of Lewis and Clark!!!! (for those who forgot the US history, Lewis and Clark were the first pioneer to discover the West-coast.) Well, what we have here is the first owner to disassemble one of the most difficult part of the Ody. This is serious stuff!!!

Just like Groupset said, I bow to you.

------------------
abyez - 1999 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Chuck, I'm definitely not the King of Modifiers...but maybe of Destruction!

</font>
Okay, then when you finish, you'll be able to call yourself "The Guru of Conversions"!

------------------
Chuck
CLICK HERE FOR ODY PICS & PROJECTS

·
Registered
37 Posts
nemogira!! You are the one that beat me on that navigation auction!!!! Well i see that maybe it was good that i didn't jump into it. I took it as a sign. looks like we both have the same plans. i wanted the wings west kit too, but looks like you beat me to that too. nice van. any more pictures of the van with rims and body kit?

·
Registered
331 Posts
nemogira - I presume your significant other (if you have one) is bound and gagged in some back room.

My wife would KILL me if I ever attempted something like that. I am having a hard time convincing her I can install cell phone brackets and I've taken apart and rebuilt plenty of things.

Good Luck and if you wind up with leftover parts, scatter them around the interior and drive through some twisties - they should go back into place.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chuck - How about "GIRA" of Conversions?

hachiroku - Maybe I SHOULD write my own manual. It'll probably be called: "How to fix what isn't broken". Eh?

abyez - Thanks for the comparison. I guess you could say that - I'm just as determined and curious as Lewis & Clark.

Accord Driver - Yes, that would be me! Nice try on that "last minute bidding thing".
I expected someone to do that. As for the Wings West kit...it's not mine. It's Lorax's. I just posted it on some other forums. Eveyone was wondering how it really looks. But, I do have some aftermarket rims on my Ody. Anyways...Welcome to the club!

robr2 - Well it's pretty apparent I DO NOT have a significant other right now. But it's a good time as any to get one, don't cha think? All this moding has gotten out of hand. Also, I think I'll pass on that "Leftovers Trick". Last time I tried that one I ended up with 3 screws in my head. YEEOUCH!!!

-nemogira

P.S. Please bare with me...I know this signature isn't true yet. But I need it as motivation to continue. It's been a very long Odyssey.

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
910 Posts
hey Nemogira, where did you guys find auctions on the Navi and the bodykit ?

And that is very impressive what you have done ! Maybe I will follow you by reading your "How to fix something that isn't broken" !!

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lookinco,

For the NAVI I got it through ebay. But they don't show up very often. Actually, that's the only time I've seen it there. It's a very rare item. You could also check out copartfinder.com - just look for some wrecked up Odys with NAVI. Or if you really get desperate - you could probably look for some Acura NAVIs. Pretty much the same system (I would think).

As for the bodykits - Don't know? Don't got one. Maybe ask Lorax or Vspecody.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nemogira,

I thought this forum was interesting already, but now !!!! Wow. Hang tuff on this. You have already demonstrated that you are a bright and creative individual. Creative people always find a way. You will succeed.

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks!!! That's very nice of you to say. And hey - even if I don't get through this I can think of a creative reason why I messed up so bad, RIGHT? j/k

But thanks to everyone for their support. I think I'm NOW ready for round 2.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh happy day! It's my pleasure to report that my 2000 Honda Odyssey has been reincarnated into a EX-NAVI! I haven't fully tested out all the features yet...I still have to read the booklet. But everything seems to be working. Well almost everything. The only thing that's not currently working is the Auto Climate Controls. There's a part that I'm missing called the Climate Control Connector. It's a little white box under the passenger side airbag. It's not provided on regular EXs. But once I get that everything should be working.

Also I'm sorry, I pretty much gave up on writing a step-by-step guide on how to convert it. The reasons being there was way too many steps! But, I would be happy to answer any questions involving the conversion. And guess what...we were able to put back ALL the screws that were removed from the van (excluding of course the little tray under the passenger seat - that's now gone).

I'm going to test out the NAVI when I drive home from work today. I'm gonna see what this puppy can do.

Lah..lala, lala...

-nemogira

P.S. I will end up paying $2000 for the entire conversion. Go figure!

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!! That's a great ending to a whopper of a conversion. From now on, you're the one we'll ask when we want to know anything about how the dash and the NAV are put together.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics & projects.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chuck you were right. I did learn a lot about how everything works and runs in the dash. It's amazing!!!

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 06-01-2001).]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts