Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you proud owners are going to be just a little bit biased....but honestly, is the screen big enough? There are bigger displays available but you have to practically rip the van apart to install them... I finally actually saw the exact van that we are very close to ordering MB EX-L RES at the dealer. It lasted 5 minutes and went for MSRP + $850 markup + $991 for options (c. bars, W. trim, M. guards, C. Tray). At least I got to sit in it and that's when I noticed how small the DVD screen actually is. What does everyone think? Also, wish that leather was a tad darker too. Oh and one more thing, would someone be so kind as to measure the actual viewable size of the screen for me, not the surrounding plastic?
Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by ODY_DataSeek (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I know you proud owners are going to be just a little bit biased....but honestly, is the screen big enough?</font>
You can never have too much money, be too thin, have too much RAM, have too much hard drive space...etc.

In the context of blue sky, the answer is "no".

But, in the context of reality, it's not unworkable at all. I mean, how far away is anyone from the screen? And the purpose is to give you something to watch, not to be a home theater. It fulfills that quite nicely, all without breaking the bank.

Would I like it bigger? Sure! Would I like to pay factory prices for a bigger screen? Well.....

P

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...but honestly, is the screen big enough? There are bigger displays available but you have to practically rip the van apart to install them... </font>
We were actually thinking the same thing before we got our Odyssey. I found a 13" monitor that would be fine, but I looked into it and it would be a huge hassle. The ceiling unit on the RES actually has some electronic guts, so the remote would be useless if the unit was replaced. It's much easier (and safer) to not have the driver fussing with the DVD control buttons up front. And not to mention the lack of "integration" that an aftermarket unit would bring. The RES units are color matched to the interior of the van. Very nice look. From my research, 7" is as big as the fold away units come.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I finally actually saw the exact van that we are very close to ordering MB EX-L RES at the dealer. It lasted 5 minutes and went for MSRP + $850 markup + $991 for options (c. bars, W. trim, M. guards, C. Tray). </font>
Shop around--you can get an Odyssey AT MSRP with no markup or forced accessories. Don't get suckered into that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">At least I got to sit in it and that's when I noticed how small the DVD screen actually is. What does everyone think? Also, wish that leather was a tad darker too. </font>
It's just fine for the middle passengers, but I can't say for sure if people in the third row can see it--we've never had anyone ride back there. Regarding the leather, there's always the Ivory and Fern (on other colored vans of course!).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Oh and one more thing, would someone be so kind as to measure the actual viewable size of the screen for me, not the surrounding plastic?</font>
Screen size is 7" diagonal (6" wide, 3.5" tall).

Hope this answered your questions.

Michelle

·
Registered
32 Posts
My family and I drove 2300 miles over Thanksgiving. I spent 2000 miles of the trip in the 3rd row watching DVDs. Best road trip I ever took!!!!!!! The screen is plenty big.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We installed an aftermarket Jensen 6.8" unit. I was a little leary of the size at first, but it has worked out really well and the kids love it. The view from the third seat is actually better than the view from the middle seats (I think because there is less of an angle to the view and the image is actually better from a distance than close up). With the monitor in the "down" position, and the windshield rear view mirror adjusted to the "lowest" position, the driver can still get a decent view beneath the screen out the back window too, which is something you would lose with a larger monitor. I have seen monitors advertised on ebay up to 10" that could be used in a flip down, but I don't really think you are going to need anything more than the 6.8" that comes with the Jensen (and I assume the ives). Complete install of our unit, diy, including amplified antenna (I get 27 tv stations in the Los Angeles area with decent picture!), fm modulator, and sony mobile vcp was around $500.00. (As of last week, there was a complete Jensen package with flip down monitor, vcp, modulator, and headphones for $499 being offered for a "buy it now" price on ebay).

I would not characterize the first installation as difficult, but since I have now redone the install four times (I did a dry run of taking down the headliner the first time but chickened out and put it back together again before I got the nerve to try it again, then I installed it, then I needed to change out the powered antenna and took it apart again, then I relocated the monitor, and finally I replaced the antenna and make a few adjustments), I think you could easily do it in around two hours with experience, more like around four or five hours for your first time (I spent at least one hour agonizing over cutting a hole in the headliner before I was finally able to take the utility knife to it the first time). Instructions on handa for the ives install were very helpful.

If you are really worried about being dissatisfied with the 7" screen, just buy the EX-L, drop an aftermarket flip down unit in it over the weekend, see how you like it for a year. In another year or two, I'm sure the prices on the lcd will drop substantially and you can probably upgrade the thing to a 13" HDTV for the cost savings on the ives unit.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Zaino'd

·
Registered
78 Posts
My family seems quite happy with the RES 7" screen. I have had no problems with it... not even a dead pixel! I think it's just the right size... because, if it were any larger, I think there are folks out there that would just follow you to watch the screen... diverting their attention from the road.

------------------
2002 GG EX-L RES
1996 BMW 328i Manual Sport Pack w/goodies

·
Registered
143 Posts
Since the Ody RES screen is a 7" (16:9) wide screen, its "viewing size" is equal to a 7.6" regular (4:3) screen and its height is shorter than the heights of similar sized regular screens. Therefore, the RES screen almost doesn't block your precious rear view. I don't need to adjust the windshield rear view mirror even when the RES screen is down. Indeed, we all wish the screen could be larger, but I think it's a pretty good compromise between driving safety and viewing pleasure. Except for some of the members' "dead pixel" complaints (thank God that I don't have that), it's a high quality LCD with a very wide viewing angle. You can comfortably enjoy a movie in both second row and third row seats.
Though I am quite satisfied with RES, I do wish that my RES could have these:

1. The flexibility to upgrade the RES head unit to a more powerful one.
2. Dolby Digital 5.1 speaker system.
3. An integrated TV tuner.

If these (and the size) are important to you then you should consider buying an EX and install an aftermarket system.

Sid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up our new white EX-L RES wednesday, DVD picture qty. is great, sound is unreal. I think from the driver seat if the screen was larger it would block rear view mirrow view. My two kids 5 and 8 love it and that alone was worth the extra $ .

ET
02 Odyssey EX-L RES
00 Yukon XL

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have no complaints at all with the size, but I also think we would be all set if it had a tv tuner. Better yet an auto tracking dish so I could take my directv on the road as well!

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
65 Posts
<laugh> Fortunately, we don't have to live in the van, so I will probably hold out until the price comes down on that setup, and just live with what a drag it is to pop in DVD's!

------------------
2002 SS-EX-L-RES

·
Registered
368 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poncho1965:
I have no complaints at all with the size, but I also think we would be all set if it had a tv tuner. Better yet an auto tracking dish so I could take my directv on the road as well!
</font>

Saw a couple of these Audiovox tv tuners on ebay today for cheap. You might want to give this a try..

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1310000959

1 - 13 of 13 Posts