Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a RP or MB EX-L RES, I've had many dealer who wants to sell me an EX-L and add either the iVES (with PS2) or other aftermarket (in-dash) DVD system. They go on and on at how this is better than the factory system and gives you more options, etc., etc. Thus far I've flatly declined the add-on systems and keep looking for the EX-L RES (based partly on reccomendations from here). I am trying to find one to buy before a long roadtrip vacation starting next weekend.

Just for my own knowledge and to better educate the salesman on these systems, what are the main differences (advantages) of the factory DVD system versus the iVES or other aftermarket in-dasy DVD system? Are there truly any advantages to the iVES or other aftermarket system at similar cost to the RES?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
317 Posts
CFS, my dealer was trying the same thing, infact he even wanted me to get a EX and have aftermarket leather and IVES installed. we told him no can do and wanted to wait for a RES van. We love our and from what we can tell the IVES is a VCR and not a DVD but you can get a sony playstation attached to it and have that option. Also, the head unit in the RES allows you to run the DVD or CD thru the wireless headphones while you listen to someother source thru the speakers. this is nice if you don't want to hear Barney and his friends for the third time in a row! Personally i would hold out for the RES instead of the IVES, i think the price of the two is not that much different especially since you want leather already. THe RES also has a video/ headphone plugs in the driver's side third bench console not sure if the EXL have that. this allows you to connect a playstation, external VCR or Camcorder. good luck Ken

·
Registered
81 Posts
With the iVES or other aftermarket options you may get a bigger screen, but it's not setup as nice as the RES.

The RES is $1500, but about $400 of that can be tallied to the cassette player that is included as part of the RES.

It's all hardwired, controllable from front or rear, you can listen to radio, cassette, CD or watch DVD in the back while listening to a different source in the front (very slick).

You can hook up a VCP if you want, but why would you do that when you have DVD?

It's covered by the Honda factory warranty and by any HondaCare extended warranty that you may/may not get.

IMO, the RES is the only way to go (that's why I bought one rather than mess around with anything aftermarket).

Scott

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another Important consideration is Resale value. The RES is a stand alone model and the value will always be higher than a IVES equipped EX-L. I also think you should remember that you get a cassette player in the RES, as opposed to having to add it as dealer installed option. I personally love the fact that I can listen to my radio station, while my son listens to a CD or Tape on the headphones. I don't think the IVES gives you that option.

·
1,484 Posts
RES...

Pros:
- Direct audio hookup to headunit. Best sound quality
- Headunit is also a tape and a cd player
- More options on how to distribute the sound in the van (rear/front isolation, headphones, etc.)
- Display screen has on board controls
- Plastic housing of display screen matches the interior color
Con:
- No NAVI
----------------------------------

IVES...

Pros:
- Way to get the Honda Entertainment and NAVI system on 1 vehicle (also under Warranty)
- Good if you mainly have a VHS library
- Input any type or brand of DVD player you want (like ones that read VCDs, MP3s or PS2 games)
Cons:
- Uses FM Modulator. Sound travels through radio frequencies. Radio sound quality.
- I *think* the plastic housing only comes in grey (either that or it's black). No beige available

My major concern would be FM Modulator vs. the Direct hookup. But soon (if not now) auxiliary input adapters are coming out that will work with our Honda’s headunits.

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 02-27-2002).]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A few more notes, in case you didn't notice....

The I-VES is contained in a rather unsightly add-on console below the dashboard. It makes access to the rear from inside the van a little more difficult. As stated before, it comes in one color only.

There are currently package deals for I-VES with Playstation 2, so you can play dvd's too. I don't know where the PS2 is placed.

The DVD of the EXL-RES does NOT play any CD recordables, from what I can tell so far. I've tried a couple home-burned samples that work in the home DVD unit, and they don't work in the van. Not quite closed on this issue yet, though.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Have you tried any of the more expensive CDs that are meant for audio recording (read that: the ones that have the entertainment tax built into the price)?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Not yet, it has temporarily slid down the priority list. Note that the CD drive in the head unit is supposed to be able to play CDRs(audio), but the demonstrator DVD clearly states that the DVD drive cannot play CDRs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts