Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a '99 Ody and we're thinking about moving up to something in the 2007-2008 range. In scanning the ads on various sites I'm finding the asking price difference between the used EX-L's and the Touring models is very little, if anything.

With the prices of Ody's with the Touring package so much higher initially, does anyone have a good explanation for this? Or is it just a fluke that I'm finding this is happening where I'm looking. I like the idea of having just about anything that's available on a car when I buy, but I didn't expect to find them so soooo close in price.

Anyone care to speculate on a reason?

Thanx.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I find that too... In some cases, Tourings were cheaper. So my wife and I just put a down payment on one today.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! Hopefully we'll find one to latch onto soon. (It still puzzles me a bit).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd watch out for the PAX run flats on Tourings - huge expense to replace or retrofit which may expain the price compaction you are seeing IMHO

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Touring add ons are mostly electronic gizmos that don't hold value. The EX-L has one more seat and that is in demand (fixed in 2008) while the PAX is a large negative value wise.

Mini vans are primarily about utility so it's the utility that maintains value.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Even initially, the tourings weren't that much more. We bought our EX-L new from the dealer in 2007, and while there may have been a sticker price difference, the dealer told us he was having trouble moving the tourings. The PAX system was starting to show its flaws by 2007, and many buyers were avoiding them, so the market was depressing the price of the touring and inflating the price of the EX-L. We would have loved a PAX-free touring, but since it wasn't available in 2007, we got the EX-L nav/res instead. The electronic upgrades for the touring weren't worth the tradeoff of dealing with PAX and the loss of the 8th seat, in our book.

The EX-L has more cargo weight capacity, a spare tire and jack, and enough seats and seatbelts to carry 8 passengers (vs. 7 for the touring of the same year). The touring has PAX, the auto rear liftgate, an upgraded sound system, adjustable foot pedals, memory to store two drivers' preferred seat positions, a fancier computerized display, a fancier tire pressure monitor, and a few other electronic and convenience gadgets I'm probably forgetting.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was talking to a car broker I know and he said PAX is a HUGE turnoff and Tourings, whether they have been depaxed or not, are not very desirable in the used car market to those buyers who know about them. It also does not take much time in researching the 3rd gen Ody, to be alerted to the problems with the PAX system.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I admit I got the Touring for the gadgets, but I knew I would use the gadgets in this package. I use everything on this list, which is not included in the EX-L trim, and I mean EVERY SINGLE FEATURE EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Once I de-paxed, and put on some nice 17" after market rims/tires, and got a Plus One Seat from an EX-L, it was the perfect van. I have no regrets with the Touring, and I'm glad I didn't get the EX-L.

- Power liftgate
- Fog Lights
- Dusk sensing headlamps
- Adjustable pedals
- Electrochromatic inside rearview mirror
- Memorized driver's seat settings for 2 drivers
- Trip computer
- Subwoofer
- Rear Entertainment System
- Navigation System (may have been added to the EX-L)
- Voice Activated Climate Controls / AV Controls (may have been added to the EX-L)

If its the same price, get the Touring!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts