Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Periodic lurker, 1st time poster.....My wife and I unfortunatley are in the market to purchase a minivan in the next 6-8 months since we will inevitably will have a 3rd kid and have narrowed it down to the Odyssey and Sienna, specifically a 2010 EX-L or Touring vs. 2011 Sienna SE. Here is my sort of dilemna:

1. Are there any major differences between an EX-L(Assume the "L" means leather) and the touring? My buddy just got rid of his 05 Touring because of the Pax issue. I did the research for him on how to go about de-pax but instead he opted to trade it in for a doo-doo Town & Country. The EX-L's we would be looking at would have to have RES for the kids. Navigation would be good, but not amust as we have a navigation app on her iphone. So first question would be, any major differences between the 2?

2. We're really trying to stick to as late a year on a 3rd generation Odyssey as possible (2010 being the latest). Based on my research, I'm going to stay away from the Tourings that have Pax so I don't have to deal with that headache. Additionally we would like to find one with under 30k miles (we hate the new Odyssey and hae opted for a used one since the kids will destroy it anyway). Are there any major issues that have been typical with 3rd generation Odyssey's? I've read transmissions have been an issue. Hopefully we can find one with an extended warranty.

3. I am a bit reserved about getting a 1st year Sienna. All 1st year cars typically have issues here and there and I would prefer to wait for the middle years of the model and by the time we're ready to purchase next year, hopefully there will be some used SE's on the market (I'll probably never buy a new car again unless the promotions are too good to pass up). So since I am so reserved about 1st year cars during model changes, that is why I want to stick with the last year of the 3rd generation Odyssey. Are the 08-10 touring's ALL non-pax or did Honda offer the option to have it or not and how do I tell? Check for a spare tire? Do the 5 spoke wheels on the 08-10 tourings indicate NON-PAX?

4. Anyone recently purchase a used touring or EX-L Odyssey? If so what can I expect to pay with mileage around 30k?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're in an Odyssey forum, so no one is going to recommend a Sienna to you.

PAX is no longer an issue because you can get Touring models without the dreaded PAX.

Look up the differences between Touring and EX-L to see what items are important to you and your family. They can vary by model year. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a used vehicle, be sure to get an AutoCheck vehicle history report.

To me, the Touring fit our family lifestyle when we purchased our '06. For others, the EX-L was fine too. A lot of times, I see people on this forum buying EX or LX models and then trying to 'upgrade' them with Touring type features...makes me wonder why they didn't just buy a Touring in the first place unless it was a money issue.

We've had our '06 for 5 years and have gone through the multiple updates and fixes (including PAX). Would I buy another one right now? Not so sure because my family situation has changed in the 5 years. Outside the other issues, the Ody has been fairly reliable for us. The worst fiasco was the PAX and how misled we were by Michelin (I called them to talk about the PAX prior to buying the van, but I won't go into that long story...let's just say I don't buy Michelin anymore).

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Same here, I wouldn't have a problem recommending the Sienna. Both have their good and bad...just depends on what you're looking for. My wife is currently set on an '11 Sienna Ltd largely because of the color:rollingeyes:

The '10 Ody Touring would be the most likely to be found without PAX. There are some transmission problems floating around...mainly torque converters and most prevalent in 2007 models. It wouldn't stop me from buying one.

The Touring has a few nice features and if you want NAV and RES it probably makes sense to go that route. The Touring trip computer is nice where the EX-L basically has nothing but a trip odometer and outside temp. Fully auto headlamps also require jumping to the touring...another econo car feature that requires the top-model from Honda. Those are the two biggest items we missed by going with the EX-L, but at the time that was the only way to get the 8th seat.

The 2011 Sienna has a few nice features that my wife likes as well. Keyless start, dual moonroofs, and of course the color.... The 2011 Sienna also drives very nice..every bit as good as 3rd Gen Ody and is quieter although the engine isn't as smooth as the Honda.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am not in here looking for a recommendation between the two (2) vans. I already know I'll be getting one of the 2. Just looking for more info regarding Odyssey's and the main differences between the EX-L and Touring models. In the end it will all come down to price. Thanks for the info regarding the tranny problems (torque converters) and auto-headlamps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PAX is no longer an issue because you can get Touring models without the dreaded PAX.

Look up the differences between Touring and EX-L to see what items are important to you and your family. They can vary by model year. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a used vehicle, be sure to get an AutoCheck vehicle history report.

Good luck in your search.
There is only so much a "search" function can do in a forum hence me asking general differences between the EX-L and Touring.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes, five spoke wheels on a Touring is a sure way to tell that it has conventional tires.

If you're set on a '10, shoot for something with lower miles than 30K. Late model Hondas are not a particularly good value because they tend to command premium prices. Paying a little extra for low miles in such situation is money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yes, five spoke wheels on a Touring is a sure way to tell that it has conventional tires.

If you're set on a '10, shoot for something with lower miles than 30K. Late model Hondas are not a particularly good value because they tend to command premium prices. Paying a little extra for low miles in such situation is money well spent IMHO.
You should have some good tips on the difference since you jumped from the Touring to the EX-L. I realize the EX-L picked up some features over the years (power hatch) but I'm not aware of the Touring gaining much? I know the auto headlights and trip computer were two of the less obvious that we ended up really missing.

It's a shame on the wheels too... the Touring PAX rims were by-far the most attractive option but with such a nasty penalty.....

·
Registered
854 Posts
IIRC, the Touring gained (as did the EX-L) a power passenger seat and a telescoping steering wheel.

The only thing I really miss on the EX-L are the parking sensors that the Touring had.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This page tells you some of the differences for the 2009 year. I assume that's about what you're looking got get.

2009 Honda Odyssey LX, EX-L, Touring V6 - Used Car Review / Specs / Pictures / Performance Parts

The Odyssey LX ($26,355) comes with cloth upholstery, seating for seven with second-row caption's chairs, and a 60/40 split fold-down rear seats. It also has manual sliding side doors, manual seat controls, front and rear air conditioning, air-filtration system, power door locks with remote keyless entry, power windows, power exterior mirrors, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, cruise control, AM/FM/CD stereo with auxiliary input jack, theft-deterrent system, and P235/65R16 tires on steel wheels with hubcaps.

The EX ($29,455) adds power sliding doors, tri-zone automatic climate control, eight-way power driver's seat, a storable second-row PlusOne seat, in-dash six-disc CD changer, steering wheel audio controls, heated exterior mirrors, universal garage door opener, conversation mirror, second-row sunshades, roof rails, rear spoiler, and alloy wheels.

The Honda Odyssey EX-L ($33,155) adds leather upholstery, heated front seats, a four-way power adjustable front passenger seat, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power moonroof, XM satellite radio, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, Honda's active noise reduction, and the iVTEC engine with Variable Cylinder Management. For 2009, a power tailgate is added. The EX-L is available with the DVD rear-seat entertainment system and navigation system with rearview camera that adds Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® for 2009.

The Odyssey Touring ($40,505) is what Honda's Acura luxury division would sell if it sold a minivan. It has a slightly stiffer suspension for improved handling and a 350-watt audio system with six-disc CD changer, seven speakers, and a subwoofer. It also gets the navigation system, front and rear park assist, memory for the driver's seat and mirrors, power-adjustable pedals, 17 cupholders, outside mirror tilt-down backup aid, Bluetooth wireless cell phone link, trip computer, compass and outside temperature display, automatic headlights, fog lights, the DVD rear-seat entertainment system, and P235/60R17 tires. The Touring comes with the iVTEC engine with VCM and is available with Michelin PAX run-flat tires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2010 touring vs. ex-l

an extra 60 +/- lbs for the touring
17" rims vs. 16" rims
tire pressure per tire vs. overall low indicator
fog lights vs. none
programable windsheild wipers vs. standard 2 speed variable
memory linked / reverse tilt down side mirrors vs. standard power
auto on / off head lights vs. auto off only headlights
corner / back-up sensors vs. none
chrome tailgate garnish vs. body colored
driver power seat with two position memory vs. standard power
standard nav / blue tooth vs. being optional
standard rear entertainment system / 115 volt power vs. being optional
power adjustable pedals vs. none
360 watt premium audio w/ 7 speakers vs. 120 watt standard w/ 6 speakers
programmable multi information display vs. none
miles to empty indicator vs. none

some of the items can be dealer installed on the ex-l (i.e. fog lights, back-up sensors, etc.) but did not come from the factory. hope this helps.

·
Registered
786 Posts
A lot of times, I see people on this forum buying EX or LX models and then trying to 'upgrade' them with Touring type features...makes me wonder why they didn't just buy a Touring in the first place unless it was a money issue.
First of all, I bought the EXL after dealing with a similar runflat fiasco in a BMW and I wasn't going to deal with it again. :D

I realize the EX-L picked up some features over the years (power hatch) but I'm not aware of the Touring gaining much?
Your right, the Touring didn't gain much, especially if you don't count the things that all models got like the MP3 capability. It also got reverse tilt mirrors, ipod jack, & bluetooth.

All 2009 and 2010 Tourings will come without PAX. Most of the 2008's will also come without PAX, as it was only an option that year. The PAX wheels had 10 spokes EVENLY spaced (05-07 EXL's had 10 un-evenly spaced). The 5 spoke wheels are the non-PAX Touring wheels.

I hate to tell you this, but my salesman keeps me up to date on the current market, and he says that since the 2011's looks are so subjective, the lightly used Ody market has become very lucrative. If the power liftgate is important to you (which I'm willing to be it is ;)) You would need to get either a 2009 or a 2010 EXL.

From what I have observed, the transmissions aren't really the problem this time around. Power steering pumps and motor mounts however have been a bigger problem. I'm on my 3rd pump and 2nd mount, but neither would stop me from buying again.

From what I have read and seen, the SE Sienna's are not really selling that well. Is there a reason why it has to be an SE? Your the first person I have heard actually wanting one. While I personally haven't driven it, there are plenty of Sienna owners on here who have compared the SE to the other Sienna's and reported not much of a difference in driving. These low sales figures will also make them all that more scarce to find used. The major complaint I've heard about the SE is the way it is packaged (popular features unavailable). I think the LE, XLE, and Limiteds are selling the best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First - BW03 and Bert - Thanks for the responses, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Based on Bert's comparison the Touring doesn't have a bunch of options over the EX-L (most of which I could live without). It does look like though that the EX-L added the RES in 2009 though so I will have to look at either an 09-10 model.

Cntrtwnltd - I was afraid you might say somethign to the effect of what you said regarding the newer Odysseys and the market for late 3rd generation ones, but I can certainly understand why.

I like the Sienna SE mainly for the look. Count me as one of those parents that said they would never get a minivan. With a sticker price of $36,000 (RES included) it's going to be hard to swing. The RES comes as an option on the headrests as opposed to the overhead screen and I don't believe it comes with the dual screen either. Not sure about the rest of the options though. We are open to the XLE but probably not the limited due to the price. We really want to keepp our budget down to the lower $30,000's so a new SE may work but we'd have much more wiggle room with a used EX-L or Touring Oddy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One last thing

Do the very back seats all fold INTO the flooring (is this what is referred to as "stow & go" seating?) on all Oddy's?:huh:

And the console or 8th seat in between the middle seats or captains chairs. Is that removable as well? :huh:

Really liking the Oddy look with the 18" MDX sport wheels.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Periodic lurker, 1st time poster.....My wife and I unfortunatley are in the market to purchase a minivan in the next 6-8 months since we will inevitably will have a 3rd kid and have narrowed it down to the Odyssey and Sienna, specifically a 2010 EX-L or Touring vs. 2011 Sienna SE. Here is my sort of dilemna:

[...]
I would view PAX as non-issue from a technical standpoint, just be aware that new PAX will cost you $1400+, and you can completely, safely, soundly move away from PAX for about $1800 total, one time cost.

I just did it, and there's a guy on ebay who sells a turn-key solution for $1600 and up to replace PAX, including wheels, tires, balance, shipped to your door. You have to take care of the spare, which adds another $120.

On your mileage request of less than 30K, I think here's the issue you run into: people don't get rid of minivans with low mileage, unless they hated it, or they had problems. Yes, people lease cars, but I'm guessing that percentage is far lower, and you will look a long time.

One final note, if the owner was smart enough to purchase the *honda branded* warranty, that is a huge plus. The vans are generally reliable, but my extended warranty will cover many fiddly bits that will break on these vans. There's no way they are as reliable as an Accord or Civic sedan.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Do the very back seats all fold INTO the flooring (is this what is referred to as "stow & go" seating?) on all Oddy's?:huh:

And the console or 8th seat in between the middle seats or captains chairs. Is that removable as well? :huh:

Really liking the Oddy look with the 18" MDX sport wheels.
"Stow & Go" seating is what Chrysler calls the configuration in which all of the seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows fold into the floor. I suppose if you want to get technical, Honda calls theirs the "third row magic seat". They used that term more during the 2nd generation though. The 3rd row does fold into the floor in 60/40 sections. The 2nd row captains chairs are removable, but have never been able to fold into the floor.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One final note, if the owner was smart enough to purchase the *honda branded* warranty, that is a huge plus. The vans are generally reliable, but my extended warranty will cover many fiddly bits that will break on these vans. There's no way they are as reliable as an Accord or Civic sedan.
$1,000 Honda Care would have saved me $175 in out-of-warranty repairs. Sounds like a bum investment to me. They don't sell warranties expecting to lose money....but if it helps you sleep at night by all means put your money on the table.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts