Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning the alarm function of the security system on a 2001 EX. The manual states that once the alarm is set, as noted by the blinking light on the instrument panel, the alarm will go off if a door, rear hatch or the hood is opened. Does this mean they must be forced completely open or just an attempt be made at opening. I have tried in vain to set off the alarm. It seems if the purpose of an alarm has been defeated if it only goes off once the vehicle has been broken to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar question:

Is the alarm system in the '01 EX a true alarm system? The impression I got from the dealer is that it is not a true car alarm. Can anyone explain?

·
Registered
255 Posts
These are some good questions. I don't have my '01 EX yet, but I just assumed it had a full alarm system. I looked around on the 'net; found this link describing the Immobilizer system on a '98 Odyssey: http://www.tech2tech.net/library/shared_htm/immobilz.htm

Then, I found where to buy a $39.00 device to completely bypass it. (For which I won't advertise the link.) The '98 system was a fuel-interrupt device only. Has the Immobilizer system been upgraded since '98? Is it true that the '01 EX doesn't have any type of alarm that sounds if the vehicle is broken into?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2000EX has the Honda OEM security system and it does honk and flash the lights if someone opens a door while the alarm is armed. The system doesn't have a shock sensor so it is only triggered by the doors being opened or a glass break.
I think the only chance of someone entering the vehicle without triggering the "noisemaker" is if I left a window rolled all the way down and they climbed through. My windows are never left down when I'm away from the vehicle.
Try standing outside of the your vehicle, arm it with the remote unlock the door with the key and open it to see if the alarm goes off. If not, you might want to check with Honda what type of system you really got with the van. The EX alarm may be cheap and limited in features but I've never had any false alarms to make me wonder the system is just crying wolf again like some of the other systems out there.
Good Luck

·
Registered
910 Posts
unlocking the doors with the key should disarm the alarm. The only way to try the alarm is to have a person sit in the van. then with all the doors except for the pasenger side closed, lock the doors by the switch on the door and close it. Then have the person sitting inside the van open a door and the alarm should go off for around 15 seconds. I am not sure if it works on the Ody, but with previous experiences with honda and acura factory alarm systems, that should be how the system works.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
unlocking the doors with the key should disarm the alarm. The only way to try the alarm is to have a person sit in the van. then with all the doors except for the pasenger side closed, lock the doors by the switch on the door and close it. Then have the person sitting inside the van open a door and the alarm should go off for around 15 seconds. I am not sure if it works on the Ody, but with previous experiences with honda and acura factory alarm systems, that should be how the system works.</font>
This is what I notice with my van. When I lock the van with the remote and then try to unlock it with the key the alarm sounds off. I can only disarm the alarm if I unlock it with the remote.

-nemogira

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually, you should be able to test the alarm bu leaving the driver window down, arm with the remote, then try to lift up the lock button.

Did that in my Accord and it screams....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts