Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side sliding door stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason. There is no response when you press the switch to the left of the steering wheel, push the door handle or use the key fob button. The driver's side door works perfectly. I tried opening and closing it manually, which worked, but the door still was inoperable in power mode.

Any suggestions of what I could do to trouble shoot the problem? I hate to make a trip to the dealer, but my guess is that's what has to be done. Oh well. I know some here have mentioned power door problems, but I couldn't find a problem like mine when I searched.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

'00 New Formula Red S2000
'00 Flamenco Black Pearl Civic EX

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check all the fuses, too. I haven't looked at mine to see if both doors are on the same circuit, but it sounds like a blown fuse. Anything else electrical in the van not working?

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A door fuse was the first thing to come to my mind, too.

If it were getting power, you'd *probably* hear some motor noises. That you're not hearing any motor noises says that it's either not getting power, or the whole motor suddenly died.

But even then, there are relays and whatnot that kick in and do other things--like release the door latch. If *none* of that is happening, it sure sounds like a fuse.

The next--and most important--question would be, why did the fuse fail? Did it fall apart because of poor manufacturing, or is there a problem in the door causing an abnormal power draw?

Even if it's just the fuse, absolutely make the dealer check it out for abnormal power draw issues--and to get it on record, "just in case".

·
Registered
122 Posts
My driver's side power door did this yesterday. I pull the fuse kick Panel off and it now works.

I have a appt. anyway to bring my car to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Our '01 driver's side door went in-op also. take it to the dealer. Ours had a bad ground wire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The on/off switch is definitely in the "on" position because the driver's side door works perfectly. A loose fuse or bad wire sound like good possibilities. As Adam1991 points out, though, I think I need to know the why of this problem so I'm just going to take it to the dealer and not try to check out the fuse thing myself. I really appreciate the input, though - it'll help me talk to the service guy and maybe (hopefully
) not sound like an idiot.

------------------
vangirl

'01 SS EX with i-VES, Kelton Subwoofer, trailer hitch, cross bars, in-dash CD changer, fog lights, cargo tray

·
Registered
27 Posts
our passenger sliding door had a similar problem while we were on vacation last week. It would close with the remote and with the dash buttons, but not if I pulled out the door handle and released. (Not trying to pull it closed, just by "tripping" the handle.) Has this happened to anyone else?

While thinking out loud, I wondered if the door could have gotten slightly "off its rocker" so to speak, (hmm... do cars take after their owners?) my husband tried moving the door back and forth a bit, and we've not had the problem since, to my knowledge. Does this fall into the category of typical door problems?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to the dealer today. The computer diagnosed the problem as code 25 - "poor grounds". They cleaned and added washers to all four grounds in the passenger side power door, cleared the code and the door worked. At least for now. The service guy said this was the same problem that many 99's and 00's had. If it happens again, they said I should bring it back; I guess they'll have to replace something if it reoccurs.

I am happy that it's fixed but I sure hate wasting 2 hours of my time.

------------------
vangirl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had problem with the left power door stopping on my EX yesterday. One of my 7 year old son's friends is about as smart as a box of rocks. His Mom has a Voyager with manual sliders, so everytime he rides in our EX we constantly have to warn him not to push the doors. Well yesterday we weren't vigilant and he pushed the door really hard while it was opening. It emergency stopped, so of course he kept pushing it. After that door did not respond to any command - door handle, dash switch, or key fob so we closed it manually to get home.
I have a shop manual, it outlines door trouble shooting, and how to read trouble codes from dashboard door indicator lamp. Turns out left door motor revolution sensor got confused by being pushed and shut down system. System is set up such that even once you repair a problem, the door will not operate until you clear the door trouble code(s)stored in computer.

If you want to take a chance that your door is just confused you can erase the trouble code by pulling out Fuse #13 located in front passenger foot well. You have to turn the dashboard door control switch on and pull the fuse for at least 10 seconds. After that my door resumed normal operation. We'll watch it, but at least we don't have to going running to the dealer first thing on Monday.

------------------
waltp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts