Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are deciding between the LX and EX model. I've read about problems with the electronic sliding doors on the EX model. Does anyone know the truth about these doors? Are they as bad as I've read on some posts? If they cause problems are they worth the hassle. Any response greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pjs:
Hello,
We are deciding between the LX and EX model. I've read about problems with the electronic sliding doors on the EX model. Does anyone know the truth about these doors? Are they as bad as I've read on some posts? If they cause problems are they worth the hassle. Any response greatly appreciated.
</font>
Had my 2001 SS EXN for about 2 weeks now. We bought it primarily due to the fact we have two grand-children and want the safety and convience of the Ody. I feel ESPECIALLY after having them , that the power doors are well worth it. They are a LOT safer than slamming a door by hand. AND you have a 3 yr 36000 mi warrenty. So why worry??? Also look at the brochures and at the difference in what you gew for an EX over a LX. Its WELL worth the difference in price.

Deano

2001 SS EXN
Leather, cargo mat, Up-graded alarm system,
Roof-rack w /cross bars, Splash guards and fender-well trim.
(All options I ordered, not forced to take.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Some people have had real problems with the doors, but we haven't. Our only problems have been with timing of opening and closing the doors. Everytime we've had a problem it was cleared up with reseting the doors with the door locks. Lock and unlock and try the door again ... worked for us every time.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Hi Pjs,

I respecfully disgree with Deano, and we went with the LX primarily because of the sliding doors issue. We find the manual doors safer than the power sliders, IMO. The owner's manual has safety warnings about the power sliders, not the manual ones. We wouldn't need to "slam" the manual doors close, any more than we would "slam" the sliding glass door to our back patio... and the manual sliders on our LX is a heck of a lot easier to slide than than any sliding glass door I've ever used. You can physically reverse directions easily at any point on the manuals, not so with the power ones. So, on the issue of safety... the manual ones win hands down in my opinion.

On the issue of convenience, that's a matter of opinion, too. I found the power sliders terribly slow and yet determied. Yes, I can see the point of having them already opened by the time you get there, but then you still have to wait for them to slowly close. In bad weather, I would rather be able to open & close them quickly.

As far as reliability goes, the Hundai (sp?) comes with a longer warranty than the Honda, yet I think most people would consider the Honda as more reliable. So discounting the power doors problems with "no worries for 3yr36 thousand"... doesn't negate the fact that percentage wise, the power sliders are one of the greatest problems with the Ody in terms of reliability so far. I don't think anyone would effectively disagree that the manual sliders are more reliable during and after the warranty period.

The main reason we didn't go with the Navi is that you can't get it without getting the power sliders. We also like the power driver's seat in the EX over the manual one in the LX. And we liked the remote keyless entry of the EX, but we were able to get that on the LX as an option. But we feel more strongly for the sliders in the LX over the sliders in the EX. There are pros and cons to the LX or EX, personally the power doors were something we absolutely did not want. To others, the power doors are something that they absolutely did want. It's good we have the choice.

If you haven't tried the sliders on the LX yet, try to find one to try. You'll be impressed on how effortless and quick they are. Then try the power sliders on the EX, you'll be impressed by how high tech they are. Decisions, Decisions! LOL

One's better for some and the other is better for some. We just found the LX is better for us, but EX or LX... both are keepers!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------


2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
I agree with Skybolt for the most part. The Power doors were a main reason we didn't get the EX, mostly because I didn't like the speed or logic of the system. You should make an effort to find one at a dealer or from a friend and play with them for a while. Some love 'em, I couldn't stand them. Reliability was a minor issue. Many complaints on the Odyssey do seem to be from the power sliders, but keep in mind that there were recalls and fixes for the issue for the 1999 and early 2000 models. There are still complaints, but I think not as many for newer models as there were for the 1999s. Safety was not an issue for us. Some have commented that the doors have closed on them causing pain and minor injuries, and others dislike the possibility that a passenger may not be able to open them in an accident if they are locked out by the driver or if the power fails. I figure those factors are balanced by the possiblity of crushing fingers with manual sliders.

We've never had a problem with manual car doors before, but we've never had kids before either. I suspect an accident will happen eventually.


I posted some other opinions on LX vs EX here:
http://messages.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/hondaodyssey ownersclub/bbs?action=m&tid=hondaodysseyownersclub&sid=1600064927&mid=3816

Most comes down to personal preference, once you understand all the differences and familiarize yourself with their operation. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either decision once you've made it for reasons important to you.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 03-27-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Reiterate from above posts, important thing is to try them both out and decide for yourself.

I love the power sliders even though I've had to bring it in once already to get the latch replaced and the operating logic for the doors needs improvement. Great to have the door open automatically when my arms are full with baby and diaper bag.

Safety depends a lot on the user for both doors. You can get hurt by both types of doors if you are careless. Have to take responsibility for safety yourself and not depend on technology alone.

But it is a myth that the power doors will somehow crush you or lock you in the vehicle in an accident or if you loose power. There are manual overrides built in to prevent that.

The power doors are very similar to power windows. They add convienence but maybe less reliable since they are more complicated.

The manual sliders are not free from problems. I've read about the sticking problem they've had where some people have pulled their door handles off trying to open them.

Bottom line, you have to decide what you are comfortable with.

[This message has been edited by exindenver (edited 03-27-2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
But it is a myth that the power doors will somehow crush you or lock you in the vehicle in an accident or if you loose power. There are manual overrides built in to prevent that.
</font>
I only report what I've read on forums, since I don't have an EX. A number of people have reported being pinched or jammed by the failure of the automatic retraction system, and there are even some injury reports at the NHTSA database. To be sure, these are probably minor injuries as compared to what could happen with a manual door slammed on a hand. As for the accident issue, some people reported a scenario where the driver lockouts (or something) could prevent the rear doors from being opened on the inside. Or maybe it was an issue with the force required to open the power doors manually. Not having an EX, I don't know the particulars, but someone also mentioned that a magizine or website picked that story up as a safety issue as well. If the Edmunds archives weren't so tedious to search, I'd probably find it. Anyone else remember the particulars?


In any case, I didn't intend to slam (so to speak) the EX doors. There are safety and reliability issues for both, and it may be a wash. My main point was that you need to try them to make sure you don't mind the speed and logic of the system in general.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 03-27-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
I have EX since March 1999 and I have zero problem with the sliding doors. Everything that you have heard or read about it, they are nothing but personal opinions. There are no perfectly built cars, there will always be some that will develop problems. All the recalls that 1999/2000 model year have are more of inconveniences than problems.

As for whether or not it's a must have feature, my suggestion is to grab a brochure from a dealer, read what Honda says, play with it while you are at the dealership than decide if it's a feature that you need/want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Originally posted by caviller:
I agree with Skybolt for the most part. The Power doors were a main reason we didn't get the EX, mostly because I didn't like the speed or logic of the system. You should make an effort to find one at a dealer or from a friend and play with them for a while. Some love 'em, I couldn't stand them. Reliability was a minor issue. Many complaints on the Odyssey do seem to be from the power sliders, but keep in mind that there were recalls and fixes for the issue for the 1999 and early 2000 models. There are still complaints, but I think not as many for newer models as there were for the 1999s. Safety was not an issue for us. Some have commented that the doors have closed on them causing pain and minor injuries, and others dislike the possibility that a passenger may not be able to open them in an accident if they are locked out by the driver or if the power fails. I figure those factors are balanced by the possiblity of crushing fingers with manual sliders.

Very well put "I figure those factors are balanced by the possibility of crushing fingers with manual sliders"

I guess "slam" was the wrong word to use but close the door on the EX and then try to close the door at the SAME speed manually on a LX.(Slowly) You'll realize that if you do, its a much safer speed. Some complain the EX doors are slow.Thats just an openion. I think they are fine. If your in that much of a hurry you run the risk of closing the doors too fast and hard anyway.
With kids slow is safer. It boils down to common sense.

I do appreciate the responses on this subject AND on this site. We all seem to have the same goal in common.
Improveing the breed.
Thanks for the input.
Deano
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Had we been able to get the EX without the power sliders, we would have.

However, there are many extra features we liked about the EX over the LX that made the power sliders worth the risk.

Those include, off the top of my head:
- upgraded fabric
- color keyed trim (the wheel covers and black plastic trim scream from the mountain top that you got the lower trim)
- Steering wheel radio controls . .OK, I didn't know I'd like that as much before I actually used them . . very convenient

Some have bought the LX and added aftermarket wheels (caviller has a nice set on an LX), and those look good too. I just don't dig wheel covers on a car of any price range, much less a 25k car.

The auto sliders are convenient in my book. We have small children, and they would not be able to open/close the doors by themselves very reliably. I am able to do it for them without getting out of the car. With small children, or if the child safety locks are on, you'd have to get out of the car to let them out (dropping them off at school, daycare, etc). Furthermore, you'd have to stand in the rain waiting to open/close the door behind them instead of hopping in yourself and pushing a button. Still, much has been said about the confusion of operating them (why the hell don't they unlock themselves when you push a power-open button!?!?!)

Someone made the analogy to power windows. How about a washing machine? That's a very heavy, very mechanical machine that gets lots of wear and tear and yet they seem to work for years. Surely a washing machine will break before a wash basin and scrubbing board, but is anyone suggesting we go back to those? And surely Honda's engineers are as good as those at Maytag.

Still, my money's on the sliding doors being the first thing to break.


------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
My 3 year old got his thumb smashed in the door and almost broke it. We're extra careful around the doors now, especially him.


------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Here's the headline:
EX sliding doors help teach 3 year old to be more careful!

There is one weird trait to the EX doors. Okay, there are more than one but I'll just talk this one. Once the doors are moving, the door handles, inside or out, will not stop or reverse them. You have to use the dash switch or the remote. Or you have to push on the door in the last 12 inch of travel to engage the obstruction reverse.

I found that out when I was putting my baby in his carseat and the remote in my pocket actuated the door. I was sure glad the door doesn't moving any faster as I tried pushing on the door handles. Nothing got crushed, I could have just moved out of the way but I played Superman and stopped the runaway sliding door in its track with a single hand. That would be hard for a 3 year old to do since it does take some force but they are usually fast enough to get out of the way unless they are distracted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
i went with the lx model to avoid problems with the power doors. two car magazines i read did not recommend them.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gram_parsons:
Had we been able to get the EX without the power sliders, we would have.

However, there are many extra features we liked about the EX over the LX that made the power sliders worth the risk.

Those include, off the top of my head:
- upgraded fabric
- color keyed trim (the wheel covers and black plastic trim scream from the mountain top that you got the lower trim)
- Steering wheel radio controls . .OK, I didn't know I'd like that as much before I actually used them . . very convenient

Some have bought the LX and added aftermarket wheels (caviller has a nice set on an LX), and those look good too. I just don't dig wheel covers on a car of any price range, much less a 25k car.

The auto sliders are convenient in my book. We have small children, and they would not be able to open/close the doors by themselves very reliably. I am able to do it for them without getting out of the car. With small children, or if the child safety locks are on, you'd have to get out of the car to let them out (dropping them off at school, daycare, etc). Furthermore, you'd have to stand in the rain waiting to open/close the door behind them instead of hopping in yourself and pushing a button. Still, much has been said about the confusion of operating them (why the hell don't they unlock themselves when you push a power-open button!?!?!)

Someone made the analogy to power windows. How about a washing machine? That's a very heavy, very mechanical machine that gets lots of wear and tear and yet they seem to work for years. Surely a washing machine will break before a wash basin and scrubbing board, but is anyone suggesting we go back to those? And surely Honda's engineers are as good as those at Maytag.

Still, my money's on the sliding doors being the first thing to break.


</font>
Upgraded Fabric??? LOL, Slightly different maybe. I submit that if they flipped-flopped the EX & LX fabrics... most people would still "assume" there would be the same signiificant upgrade of fabric on the EX. Let's face it, the Odyssey fabric is adequate and functional, but nothing to write home about.

IMO, the 2001 LX & EX are essentially the same vehicle... so much so in fact, that Honda seems stretched to create an impression of being a worthwhile $2000 differance. Example... LX has a pocket on the back of the passenger seat and the EX has one on back of passenger seat and the driver's. Yet my '90 Accord LX has pockets on the back of both! (along with glass headlights instead of plastic and a lighted glove compartment... but that's another story).

Colored Keyed Trim??? As far as appearances go, IMO that looks better on the TW and Emerald Pearl, but the black molding strip and black mirrors trim looks _better_ on the MB and especially the SS. I think the roof _rails_ (what is that, a half a roof rack?) lessens the appearance of any Ody.

As far as wheels go, that's a non-issue with me. I like the looks of the wheel covers, and I think the EX wheels are really nice looking... but if I wanted to pay extra for standout wheels... they wouldn't be for standard ones. I've owned "wire" wheeled sports cars and Mag type wheels in the past (that were standard) and I enjoy the relatively carefree Honda covers that are secured by the chrome lug nuts.

There is no "LX" or "EX" designation tags on the Odyssey. Nothing "screams" significant differences, other than what _looks_ better, LOL. Maybe some buy their Ody for the "Jones'", but we bought ours for ourselves... we _is_ the Jones'(grin).

Radio Controls on steering wheel??? Let's face it, the sound system on the EX and/or LX is again adequate, but nothing to write home about. I've never paid for a factory or dealer radio option in my life. I think all manufacturers today include some kind of sound system, because they realized that people were no longer buying the radio options, but were getting better for less in "aftermarket" offerings. Aftermarket upgrades negate the steering wheel controls to useless non-working controls.

In a nut-shell, if the EX was the same price (and the base EX _was_ essentially the same price as our LX), I'd still pick the LX. Mainly because of the ridiculous (IMO) roof rails & the slower _power doors_. The powerseat lacks a memory feature which would have given it more significance to me.

But what really prompted me to respond again on this thread, is the slider comparisons to "Power Windows" and "Washing Machines".... convuluted Balderdash!!! ROTFL

Power windows are quicker. Honda's power sliders are no power windows yet. The manual sliders still open & close quicker, and for our purposes are far more convenient.

Sliders on both sides certainly are a "Maytag" over the single side double doors opening outward on hinges of Vans of yesteryear. But I don't think you'll ever see Maytag coming out with a remote control that opens its lid s-l-o-w-l-y. Maybe future generations of power sliders will be improved enough to abandon the ease & simplicity of the manual ones... but the current generation of slow "wash boards" has a long ways to go to win me over. ;-)

And not only that... my dog is bigger than yours!

Let the wars begin!
(LOL, only kdding!!!!)

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------


2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Skybolt,
Manual doors faster then power....HaHaHa..
Lets you and me park our vans(your LX, my EX)
next to each other, we will both come out of the store walking to our vans, I will push my key chain button to start my door opening from 20 to 30 feet away, you will need to run real fast to get to your van and open your door before mine is open. My door will be open long before I get to the van. You my friend will.......well lets just say be out of breath.
This is all in jest Skybolt LOL, We both have great vans, good luck with yours.

Michael.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
To make it even more challenging, open both doors.


Agree that the power sliders are not at the same reliabilty of power windows right now. But do you remember power windows when they first came out? Lot of people were affraid of them then.

I'll have to run a test to be sure but I think the power windows don't travel at a rate any faster than the sliders. The sliders just have a much longer distance to cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Skybolt:

With the washing machine, I was offering up a substantive analogy. I'm sure people felt the same way about automatic transmissions at one point in time, certainly a more complicated endeavor.

You offered a bunch of opinions.

And opinions are like assholes: everybody's got one.

I have a different opinion about the roofrails. It breaks up the monotony of the box-on-wheels look. Let's price those at $200 bucks

The alloy wheels are a much bigger expense to Honda than the steel/wheel cover combination. Nothing like riding down the road with a cheap wheel cover wobbling. I've never seen an attractive wheel cover, and the LX's are no exception. $500 extra here is more than fair.

Your opinion about the black trim on the LX is likely a minority one. It costs money to paint, color-match, and logistically match the painted trim pieces, which in turn costs Honda more money. It gives the Ody a cleaner look. The black door handle sticks out a mile away on the LX. $100 seems reasonable here.

I think the floormats are not standard on the LX. $100 is more than reasonable.

The electric doors can't be cheap. $500 easily.

The fabric on the EX is indeed more expensive, more luxurious, and more durable than that on the LX. It is supposed to be a higher grade fabric, more resistant to spills, etc. I read it somewhere, don't remember where. Again, more cost to Honda. $250 extra cost, maybe?

The automatic climate control, IMO, is a must have, and probably one of the best upgrades. You never have to fiddle with it. Face it, on long trips you never get the A/C "just right", you have to keep fiddling with it up and down. With the auto control, just set it and forget it. Not a luxury, IMO, anymore than it is in your house. $300 for the controls.

Upgraded Radio/CD. $250 maybe?

Homelink garage system. $100

There are probably more differences, but my point is this: The list above certainly seems to be well worth the $2000 extra dollars. I'm frankly suprised the difference isn't greater.

To me, the EX was the better value. An EX without power sliding doors would have been better, but the sliding doors, as long as they work, turn out to be a great convenience.

Being kinda conservative with my guesstimates, I come up with over $2000 worth of difference.

I'm not trying to bust on LX owners, just providing a retort to the sharp criticisim by Skybolt. We considered the LX as well, but thought the look and value proposition of the EX just made sense, in spite of my wariness about the doors.

And I don't always get the "best" . . I drive a $17000 F150 XL . . I could have easily spent $30,000 on the same truck tricked out with leather and such, but the value wasn't there.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skers:
Skybolt,
Manual doors faster then power....HaHaHa..
Lets you and me park our vans(your LX, my EX)
next to each other, we will both come out of the store walking to our vans, I will push my key chain button to start my door opening from 20 to 30 feet away, you will need to run real fast to get to your van and open your door before mine is open. My door will be open long before I get to the van. You my friend will.......well lets just say be out of breath.
This is all in jest Skybolt LOL, We both have great vans, good luck with yours.

Michael.
</font>
I agree we both have great vans, it just gets a little "thick" when people erroneously try to promote theirs as a "washing machine" and others as a "washboard". Tsk, Tsk, such balderdash! LOL. But on your test, I submit the manuals can be opened _and_ closed in less time than the power ones can be closed. Wouldn't need to be out of breath or get there before you...(grin).

Thanks, and good luck with yours too!

Best Regards,
Skybolt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
To make it even more challenging, open both doors.


Agree that the power sliders are not at the same reliabilty of power windows right now. But do you remember power windows when they first came out? Lot of people were affraid of them then.

I'll have to run a test to be sure but I think the power windows don't travel at a rate any faster than the sliders. The sliders just have a much longer distance to cover.
</font>
The point is that power windows are faster and more convenient than crank windows. Not "fear", reality... but as a side note, I do remember initial fears of the 1st generation power windows But comparing the sliders to that doesn't float, as long as the manual ones are still effortless and _quicker_. Test that, we did!

Best Regards,
Skybolt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gram_parsons:
Skybolt:

With the washing machine, I was offering up a substantive analogy. I'm sure people felt the same way about automatic transmissions at one point in time, certainly a more complicated endeavor.

You offered a bunch of opinions.

And opinions are like assholes: everybody's got one.

I have a different opinion about the roofrails. It breaks up the monotony of the box-on-wheels look. Let's price those at $200 bucks

The alloy wheels are a much bigger expense to Honda than the steel/wheel cover combination. Nothing like riding down the road with a cheap wheel cover wobbling. I've never seen an attractive wheel cover, and the LX's are no exception. $500 extra here is more than fair.

Your opinion about the black trim on the LX is likely a minority one. It costs money to paint, color-match, and logistically match the painted trim pieces, which in turn costs Honda more money. It gives the Ody a cleaner look. The black door handle sticks out a mile away on the LX. $100 seems reasonable here.

I think the floormats are not standard on the LX. $100 is more than reasonable.

The electric doors can't be cheap. $500 easily.

The fabric on the EX is indeed more expensive, more luxurious, and more durable than that on the LX. It is supposed to be a higher grade fabric, more resistant to spills, etc. I read it somewhere, don't remember where. Again, more cost to Honda. $250 extra cost, maybe?

The automatic climate control, IMO, is a must have, and probably one of the best upgrades. You never have to fiddle with it. Face it, on long trips you never get the A/C "just right", you have to keep fiddling with it up and down. With the auto control, just set it and forget it. Not a luxury, IMO, anymore than it is in your house. $300 for the controls.

Upgraded Radio/CD. $250 maybe?

Homelink garage system. $100

There are probably more differences, but my point is this: The list above certainly seems to be well worth the $2000 extra dollars. I'm frankly suprised the difference isn't greater.

To me, the EX was the better value. An EX without power sliding doors would have been better, but the sliding doors, as long as they work, turn out to be a great convenience.

Being kinda conservative with my guesstimates, I come up with over $2000 worth of difference.

I'm not trying to bust on LX owners, just providing a retort to the sharp criticisim by Skybolt. We considered the LX as well, but thought the look and value proposition of the EX just made sense, in spite of my wariness about the doors.

And I don't always get the "best" . . I drive a $17000 F150 XL . . I could have easily spent $30,000 on the same truck tricked out with leather and such, but the value wasn't there.

</font>
It's a little different when it's your Ox getting gored, huh. LOL Opinions & cliches aside, have you ever even looked at an LX??? "_Wobbling_ wheel covers" on a Honda??? ....more balderdash, LOL. Some people prefer the "combination dinner" and some prefer ordering off the higher priced A la carte menu to get specifically what they want and to avoid want they don't want. Neither are starving at the Honda cafeteria. Hope the noise of my "screaming" LX hasn't deafen your sensibilities further ;-)

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------


2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top