Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LX and was thinking about installing the under seat tray from the EX. Can anyone tell me what the approx. dimensions are. Just wanted to know if it was big enough to be worth it. Also any real world idea of how big (how many CD's it holds) it is.

Is it difficult to install? Does the seat have to be removed to put the rail for the tray in?

------------------
'01 GG LX
'94 Ingegra GSR

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I just took a look at the 99-01 Service Manual (page 20-83). It shows just two self-tapping screws holding the tray guide in place under the seat. It looks like it could be installed w/o removing the seat. Even if you had to remove the seat there are only 4 bolts holding the seat to the riser; also 4 bolts holding the riser to the floor. Removing the seat is not difficult!

H and A lists the price at about $76. As the owner of a '01 EX, I'd say it isn't worth it! It isn't very big and mine seems to always stick either opening or closing (although I haven't taken the time to address the problem). On the positive side, it holds the owner's manual packet very easily, and a little other junk.

I've got a 13" plastic toolbox that I keep on the back side of the passenger seat. I suspect that if I removed the tray from the toolbox it would hold about as many CDs as the Honda drawer. I think the tool box cost about $6. I can easily reach the toolbox from the driver's seat. I don't recommend reaching for either the drawer or toolbox while driving!

Another idea would be to use a plastic storage container. There should be lots of options at your local Target or Walmart.

Mel

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi David,

I 2nd Mel's recommendation NOT to get this product. Most EX owners like myself probably would agree that 1) it is almost useless since the slider doesn't work well and 2) it is way overpriced.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by errol:
Hi David,

I 2nd Mel's recommendation NOT to get this product. Most EX owners like myself probably would agree that 1) it is almost useless since the slider doesn't work well and 2) it is way overpriced.

Thanks,
Errol
</font>
Make that a 3rd! This is the one (and only so far) accessory I wouldn't do again if I had it to do over. It's not bad to install, you won't have to remove the seat but it's kind of flimsy and the amount of storage space it provides it disappointing. It definitely looks and feels like an afterthought.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Just for the sake of completeness: The approximate inside dimensions of the storage tray are 13 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 3".

A standard CD jewel case is about 5 5/8" x 4 7/8" x 3/8". If my computations are correct, you should be able to fit about 16 CD cases and 4000 miles worth of chewing gum in the tray. YMMV

Mel

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will probably not do this after all. Saved me $75!

------------------
'01 GG LX
'94 Ingegra GSR

·
Registered
14 Posts
How to install under seat tray?

For better or worse, I ordered one. (Yeah, it's small.)

Now that I've got it, I don't see where to put those self-tapping screws. All the existing holes in the bracket and seat are too big for the self-tapping screws that came with it. Is it really time to start drilling holes?

For that matter, it's not clear how to position the bracket either...

Thanks all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, Mel.

Maybe my confusion is because my tray guide is pretty different than what I see in the diagram you posted. The .jpg I've attached shows that there is no clip in the center. There are a couple of metal fingers (in the red squares) and I'm not sure if they're meant to go under or over the seat rail; they'd require bending to go over anything.

As you can see, all of the holes are pretty big. I'm wondering if this is a new-style tray, and if it's meant to be screwed to the threaded inserts under the seat (what size threads are those, anyway?)

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
DavidGSR said:
I have an LX and was thinking about installing the under seat tray from the EX. Can anyone tell me what the approx. dimensions are. Just wanted to know if it was big enough to be worth it. Also any real world idea of how big (how many CD's it holds) it is.

Is it difficult to install? Does the seat have to be removed to put the rail for the tray in?

------------------
'01 GG LX
'94 Ingegra GSR
Not sure it's worth the expense but mine easily holds 16 CD's, singles in the jewel box's.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The diagram I posted was from the '01 Helm's manual. Anyone got an '03 version? Is it different?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts