Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fot the cheapest, best applicators I've ever found for using 303, Armor-All, Back-to-Black or whatever you want to put on your car or van, try this. Next time you're in the car wash section of your local discount store or whatever, get one of those cheap car wash sponges that's shaped kinda like a figure eight. They're about eight by five by three inches or so and usually cost less than a buck.

When you get it home, cut it cross-wise in whatever thickness individual sponges you'd like to use. I usually get about eight sponges that are about an inch or so thick, by five by three. Use a bandsaw if you can; it'll cut them perfectly.

This kind of foam makes an applicator that puts down a very even coat on just about any material, rubber, vinyl, etc., with very little waste. Apply straight to the foam sponge, get it pretty wet, and then wipe the product on. This way there's no overspray, etc. When finished, just use a rubber band to keep the sponge with the product so it can be reused next time. You may even be able to store the sponge in a baggie to keep it from drying out and even further reduce waste if you choose, but I don't bother.

Since I've been doing this, it's really cut down the usage of the products because of the reduction of waste. Try it. I think you'll like it.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Once again Chuck sets the standard...

I hate to waste chemicals too; not because they are expensive so much as its a pain to be working on your car and find your're out of 'so and so' so your car is 'unfinished'.

We should put all the detailing tips together too somehow. They're scattered throughout this forum but lesse:

- Zaino whole car
- z2 the windows? or was it z6?
- 303 protectant on inside dash
- 303 on tires, trim w/ 'biscotti' sliced sponge
- microfiber for cleaning interior/exterior
- 100% cotton towels for removing zaino (microfiber takes it off tooo well)
- what chemical to clean inside of window? Just use a dry microfiber?
- wheel brush? tire brush?

I know I'm anal and most of the above suggestions seem to have originated w/ Chuck; but I like to have the benefit of experience with regards to 'best chemicals' and 'best application process'.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marvyn asked:

I don't use any chemicals on glass in the cars or around the house anymore. Just use a damp MF cloth for washing and a dry MF cloth to dry for the longest lasting "clean". I've got lotsa window cleaning products laying around the house that just don't get used anymore.

A long handled, stiff brush for the wheelwells. Then a soft brush for outside the wheels and the tires. Then a MF towel wrapped around a stick (something like a paint stirrer) to clean inside the wheels all the way to the inside flange cuz the insides of my wheels are pretty visible.

BTW, I don't use carwash sponges or mits anymore, either. Just a MF towel sopping wet with Maguiar's Gold Class car wash in the wash water. Lotsa suds!

Another point; my wife thought I was crazy using these towels for everything, but she's finally come around and is using them for virtually all of her cleaning chores, too. They make GREAT dish rags. You almost don't even need soap. Seriously, try these cloths for everything from your eyeglasses to cleaning kitchen stoves to whatever else you can think of. They save a helluva lot of time and energy.

Oops. One last thing. I also use two MF towels to dry the cars. One stays wet doing first wipe up and a drier one to finish up.

Okay, one last thing. For me this has been a biggie. One of the best carwashing aids I have is a trick I invented for myself many years ago. I noticed how much water a well-waxed car can hold on it's surface when it's sprayed with a regular hose nozzle. Every tiny bead will stand on the paint because there's not enough weight to make it slide off, leaving much too much to have to dry. It seemed that when you just flowed a smooth stream of water across the surface of the car, the water's own cohesion would cause much of the water to "stick together" and flow off as a sheet, leaving much less to dry.

So I got a regular, trigger operated hose nozzle with a thread on the end of it and made a short (24", or so) section of rubber hose to screw on the end. Now holding the nozzle in one hand and the end of the soft hose in the other, you can lay a controlled sheet of water on a car and it saves a lot of time and water because a side benefit is that it takes a lot less water to rinse the soap off. The unfinished end of the hose gives a much more controllable stream of water and a great side benefit is that there's nothing to scratch anymore if it drags on the paint.

I hope this has been clear and that it helps.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think its clear...got a pic of this contraption?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Cool! Great idea, Chuck! Gotta make one of those..... I've been making a habit of driving around the block before drying down the vehicle, but your idea makes ALOT of sense to me. Simple physics, great implementation! Bravo again!
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
331 Posts
With no disrespect to Chuck:

An off the shelf variant is to get one of the quick connect kits that has a shutoff on it at the hardware store. With this, you shut the water off at the hose end, unscrew the nozzle, and turn the water back on.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Marvyn asked:

I don't use any chemicals on glass in the cars or around the house anymore. Just use a damp MF cloth for washing and a dry MF cloth to dry for the longest lasting "clean". I've got lotsa window cleaning products laying around the house that just don't get used anymore.

A long handled, stiff brush for the wheelwells. Then a soft brush for outside the wheels and the tires. Then a MF towel wrapped around a stick (something like a paint stirrer) to clean inside the wheels all the way to the inside flange cuz the insides of my wheels are pretty visible.

BTW, I don't use carwash sponges or mits anymore, either. Just a MF towel sopping wet with Maguiar's Gold Class car wash in the wash water. Lotsa suds!

Another point; my wife thought I was crazy using these towels for everything, but she's finally come around and is using them for virtually all of her cleaning chores, too. They make GREAT dish rags. You almost don't even need soap. Seriously, try these cloths for everything from your eyeglasses to cleaning kitchen stoves to whatever else you can think of. They save a helluva lot of time and energy.

Oops. One last thing. I also use two MF towels to dry the cars. One stays wet doing first wipe up and a drier one to finish up.

Okay, one last thing. For me this has been a biggie. One of the best carwashing aids I have is a trick I invented for myself many years ago. I noticed how much water a well-waxed car can hold on it's surface when it's sprayed with a regular hose nozzle. Every tiny bead will stand on the paint because there's not enough weight to make it slide off, leaving much too much to have to dry. It seemed that when you just flowed a smooth stream of water across the surface of the car, the water's own cohesion would cause much of the water to "stick together" and flow off as a sheet, leaving much less to dry.

So I got a regular, trigger operated hose nozzle with a thread on the end of it and made a short (24", or so) section of rubber hose to screw on the end. Now holding the nozzle in one hand and the end of the soft hose in the other, you can lay a controlled sheet of water on a car and it saves a lot of time and water because a side benefit is that it takes a lot less water to rinse the soap off. The unfinished end of the hose gives a much more controllable stream of water and a great side benefit is that there's nothing to scratch anymore if it drags on the paint.

I hope this has been clear and that it helps.

</font>
Ok Mr. Chuck. I'm sold, but I can't seem to find these puppies around my neck of the woods. I've tried everywhere. Any sources for on-line purchase? In bulk.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Ok Mr. Chuck. I'm sold, but I can't seem to find these puppies around my neck of the woods. I've tried everywhere. Any sources for on-line purchase? In bulk.

</font>
Uh, what puppies?
Several were mentioned.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
With no disrespect to Chuck:

An off the shelf variant is to get one of the quick connect kits that has a shutoff on it at the hardware store. With this, you shut the water off at the hose end, unscrew the nozzle, and turn the water back on.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 10-09-2001).]
</font>
No offense taken.

Good idea, but not the same thing. You'd still be using a hose with the usual male end on it. It works, but not as well and not near as handy.

Another good thing about the rubber hose without a fitting on it is you can shape the end of it for a flat spray or a higher pressure if you'd like.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Chuck,
Great ideas! Around our place, we use quick connectors on our hoses and the shut-offs would allow one to snap your length of hose onto the hose and turn the water on without having to squeeze the trigger during the rinse. That may seem a small point, but, for us retired guys, it can mean the difference between pleasure and pain, Hee! Hee!
One washing trick I have used for years, since I have no longterm shady place to do my washing is to wash the van from the beltline down first, thus not wetting the glass, hood and roof until I can be sure to keep them wet. It makes for a much more relaxed, spot-free job,since one does not have to "hurry" or keep wetting the van down. I use a separate bucket of solution and some dedicated cleaning tools for the gritty bottom section. Once done with that part, I clean my bucket and make a new solution, get out the "clean" mitt and finish the job.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Uh, what puppies?
Several were mentioned.

</font>
Sorry bout' that. I was refering to the Micro Fibre Towels.

Tom

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Sorry bout' that. I was refering to the Micro Fibre Towels.

Tom
</font>
There are a lot of on-line sources, but they all seem overpriced. Costco carries a line of inexpensive towels that aren't bad, but they aren't the very best, either.

The best ones I've found for reasonable prices are carried by Meijer around here. They're about 16x16" and are sold in the auto section under the Turtle Wax brand. They're about $3 apiece.

Do a search on-line to learn about them and then do a search in the older "Detailing" forum for discussions about them. Good luck.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
596 Posts
I found 'em at a Target store. They had 'em by the each, or in multi-packs. The price was in the $3.00 range, maybe a little cheaper in the multis. I, too, like the way they work, especially on the inside of the windshield. Lint was always a problem, whether one was using a cloth or paper towel. Now, I have no lint. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J R Jensen:
Chuck, I've found that you can cut those sponges very easy by using an electric carving knife.</font>
Yeah. That's how I used to cut up the foam in my camera cases. I'd forgotten. Thanx.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I found 'em at a Target store. They had 'em by the each, or in multi-packs. The price was in the $3.00 range, maybe a little cheaper in the multis. </font>
Jerry, do you remember the brand?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks you guys! These are exactly the kind of car washing tips I've been looking for. I love the microfiber towels too for both the car and around the house. However, I prefer a Swiffer-type disposable cloth for dusting my dashboard, instrument panel, console, etc. It really picks up every bit of dust in all the nooks.

Can someone tell me what is 303?

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES
'95 Honda Accord LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
I do not remember the brand of the micro cloths I bought. I have always used Endust, and aerosol product to spray my dash dusting cloths. It causes the dust to really stay in the cloth. One other thing I like to use on the radio buttons and other hard to get at places is a blush brush, such as my wife uses for make-up. Those are also keen for dusting your keyboard. I'll bet Endust on a micro cloth would be a great combination.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 20 of 27 Posts