Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short has anyone else had excessive oil loss on your Ody's?
I've taken my van in for the oil consumption test and each time I'm right at the standard of 1liter/1000 miles.
Dealer says out of their hands. Honda says nothing they can do other than to log the concern. Just bought oil at the store of 0W20 at about $10 per liter. That's $70 more in oil in between oil changes assuming 7k interval.

The woman on the phone was nice and she mentioned that there have been several calls due to oil loss on newer vehicles.

Not happy of losing that much oil. Why do an oil change when I'm losing so much oil! All I should need is a filter swap.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Check out TSB 11-033 - Engine Oil Consumption; MIL May Be On With DTC P3400 and/or P3497 in the 2011 TSB thread.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...y-technical-service-bulletins.html#post646729

As of today, the TSB currently affects 2011 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL5H..BB000001 thru 5FNRL5H..BB062427. See if your VIN applies. If so, visit the dealer for the PCM software update and keep tracking the oil consumption as you have been doing. Please post an update either way.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
How many miles on your '11? I would expect this amount of oil consumption until maybe 10K miles. These engines take a lot of miles to fully break in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could suck out a little oil so that that the consumption test fails. If Honda or any other company wants to play the game that way, there are ways to get around it.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
My VIN is past the TSB. I have a little over 13K miles on the odometer.
OK, then your 2011 Ody already came from the factory with the updated software (or higher version).

I posted Honda info in another thread and I see you posted there after you picked up your Ody.

Just change the in with techinfo in the Honda links, as the older Honda links don't work anymore. Also search for my workaround for how to access them.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...-engine-oil-usage-excessive-3.html#post554269

What is your driving style? Any towing?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have you tried changing oil manufacturer? I had oil consumption with a certain manufacturer in the distant past. I no longer buy cheapest oil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ee4life. Driving style is normal. Never towed anything. Higher freeway driving than city driving.
William,
I have not tried to change the oil. Using factory oil with the dealer at 0W20. Purchased Mobil 1 0W20 as well but have not added any as I just went in for my B1 service and they chaned my oil. I'm sure the Honda oil is the same as Mobil 1; it's a fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a quick update maybe I can get some opinions on I how to handle.
Last night following the wife home, I noticed once in a while dark smoke would blow out the exhaust pipe. I tried recording it with my iPhone but when I got home playback was too jerky to see anything.
i saw this happen about three times and it's noticeable.

I told this to the dealer a while back and they put "could not duplicate" on the service report and closed it out.

This would explain excessive oil loss on this van as it seemed that once in a while a decent amount of oil is being burned up and sent out the exhaust.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just checked the oil level on my 2011 EX-L. The odometer is around 7000 miles and I have owned it since May of last year. Driving style is 70% highway 30% city while trying to stay in ECO mode most of the time. The engine was about 1 quart low so I topped it off. Man it's a pain to get at the dip stick and oil filler cap on this car. Not nearly as bad as some others have posted but I will still inquire about the TSB the next time I'm at the dealer.

Pic of dipstick before, with engine cold.

dipstick.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shuebacca,
from top line to bottom line is 1 qt. per the oil consumption test. You've lost oil but I'd love to only lose that much oil in 7000 miles! I lose that much oil in about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Here's a quick update maybe I can get some opinions on I how to handle.
Last night following the wife home, I noticed once in a while dark smoke would blow out the exhaust pipe. I tried recording it with my iPhone but when I got home playback was too jerky to see anything.
i saw this happen about three times and it's noticeable.

I told this to the dealer a while back and they put "could not duplicate" on the service report and closed it out.

This would explain excessive oil loss on this van as it seemed that once in a while a decent amount of oil is being burned up and sent out the exhaust.
What color was the exhaust? The exhaust will be blue if it's oil, black if fuel, white if coolant (normal in cool weather).

If it's blue, you need to identify the driving condition that creates it. Drive down a hill at speed then quickly take your foot completely off the gas. This will create a high vacuum in the engine and suck oil into the cylinder if rings are not sealing, thus creating blue exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Did you have the dealer verify that the PCM was updated? How far past the serial are you. It is always possible a PCM slipped through without the change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shuebacca,
from top line to bottom line is 1 qt. per the oil consumption test. You've lost oil but I'd love to only lose that much oil in 7000 miles! I lose that much oil in about 1000 miles.
Yes, agreed, I feel lucky compared to you. For what it's worth, my VIN does fall under the TSB so I will ask the dealer the next time I take it in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was dark so it was hard to tell the exhaust color but it was dark in color but could have had a blue hue. I'll try the downhill test when I get a chance.

I told my dealer about the possibility that my PCM may have slipped through however when they call up the VIN it does not request a change of my software. I confirem with Honda that unless their computer flags an update, it's running on the current software version.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!
took van in again. Wife called me earlier, van had VSA warning light and check engine light on. Van would stall when throttle applied too quickly and had very rough idle.

Found cylinder 3 spark plug was fouled and replaced with new one (DILZKR7A11G)
They also updated the ECM/PCM (copied directly off my service report) 125517 ECM/PCM REPROGRAM. S/B# 05-038 S/B#06-022 S/B# 06-039 S/B# 06-040 S/B# 06-041 S/B# 06-045 S/B# 06-048 S/B# 242 W93
FC:03214-03203
Part # 12290-R70-A01

I have NO idea what this means. I was looking for a TSB# or something but didn't see anything. Note: my VIN is outside of TSB 11-033 so this must be some type of new software update.

The good news so far: the van drives so much better! No fluttering or stalling, no surges in acceleration and no bucking. I'll keep my eye on engine oil usage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crap,
Here we go again...
check engine light on with traction control light on. Really rough idle and RPM limiter on.
Just headed out on a nice Sunday drive and had to drive back home.
Pretty pissed that I bought this dam van at this point.
Have to take the van in and lose more time away from work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Head wasn't torqued all the way. If problem still persists, they are going to replace engine!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts