Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ RES on Saturday and we were present with the offer to purchase an extended warranty through Execu-Care MPP which covers all repairs until 6 years/75k milles including oil changes and tire rotations. The price came out to $1650 for the warranty coverage which seemed excessive to me. The Honda Finance guy stated that we could only purchase this contract on the date of your vehicle purchase and that you couldn't purchase it afterwards. They didn't even try pushing the Honda Care Warranty - only this warranty.

We ended up purchasing it as they offer a 30 day return w/ no penalty but I have a feeling it will be going back and I'll go get a Honda Care Warranty (I've already contacted Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda). I'm just curious if anyone else has purchased these type of 3rd party warranties before and if you felt they were worth it?

Thanks - Chris

·
Registered
346 Posts
How could it be worth it when Bob sells you a HondaCare 7/80 plan, endorsed or backed by Honda, for half of that if the van has less than 6000 miles? It's worth it to the dealer as these plans generally earn huge margins on such sales. You got taken at first, but at least you can have the last word when you cancel.

You can buy many oil changes ($10 - $30 at Honda stores) and tire rotations (free at the tire shops near me) for the savings, I note.

Folks, research all aspects of your purchase before you buy and negotiate the full package as one deal. Know what type of contract language you want, read it in full before you sign - the dealer won't stand behind promises later when you can't get coverage by the 3rd party insurance company who points to the ink and says not covered. Don't let them piecemeal you into add-ons, that's how they make money.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was in the same boat this past month when I bought my 2010 Touring.

While at the finance office, he did his selling thing and I felt for his B.S.

It did not hit my until I got home remembering that he had actually played with the Interest Rate to make it seem like the warranty was going to raise my payment 10 bucks.

After all my calculations, this warranty which was 1599 for 6/100 was no better than Honda Care which I had in my previous van. I should of known better, anyways I cancelled within the week and got a FULL refund back towards the principal of my loan.

On a good note: I remembered to cancel my previous Honda Care and got a 450 check from Honda which I put towards the new Honda Care for my Touring. 60/100 for $750.

Good luck,

Pat

·
Registered
346 Posts
OP never came back, I bet. I hate the hit and run user mentality with which some members approach a forum like this. It's only courteous when an OP replies or follows up on their thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give an update, we finally got refunded the $1650 for the MPP warranty, almost 2 months after we started the refund claim. The company kept requiring us to "call back on Friday, that's when we cut the checks" but the phone would ring busy on Friday. They stated they cut the check on 10/8 but they don't mail it out until almost 10 days after that. I'm just glad we got a refund.

For our extended warranty, we will be going with a 7 year/120k warranty through Honda Care (Bob Leab).

Thanks for your input, homer's van and payor_co.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A happy ending, a forum update and a courteous reply from the OP. Thank you for thanking us, but mostly for closing the loop for future searchers who may ask the same question and then find your now very helpful thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts