Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since y'all are detailin' the heck outa your Odysseys, why not detail that exhaust extension? At first, I thought I wanted one of those fat "rice burner" extensions, but when I noticed that the stock extension is a perfectly good piece of 300 series stainless, I decided to try to polish it. Once polished, it will stay bright and add an element of "newness" to the van. It really makes little sense to add a big bore extension, since the factory, in their wisdom, necked the 2 3/8" pipe down to 2" right before the extension. I guess one could cut the pipe off up where it is still 2 3/8" and gain a little flow. Anyway, I have no special equipment, so I used good ol' sandpaper, starting with 400 grit and ending with 1500 grit. It is not the mirror finish one gets with factory items, but it is darn close. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get rid of the lines caused when the pipe was extruded, but, it can be done. Too bad the whole system is not 300 (non-magnetic) stainless.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Talk about dredging up an old post....

I had an extra 2.5 minutes on Sunday, and had purchased some metal polish for another purpose, so I decided to try my hand at the exhaust tip. Being lazy, I just slapped the polish on there and started working it in with an old rag. To my GREAT surprise, all two years of "gunk" came off and it buffed out to a decent shine! Makes me want to get the sandpaper and steel wool out to really get it sweet! I used Blue Magic from AutoZone, $4. Being motivated, I then did it to my '99 Dakota exhaust tip, and achieved results almost as good, but with about 10 minutes of work instead of 2. Will post pics as soon as the camera batteries recharge!

·
Registered
561 Posts
....and to think I just replaced the tip because I didn't like the way the oval looked like it was "stepped on". I replaced it beginning from after the "rear axle" with a long chrome piece from a truck exhaust resembling the look of the older mustang 5.0 style. I didn't go for the fart pipe size, just the same size. Looks much better. I'll see if I can find a pic to post......

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Well, your obviously not as cheap as I am! :D

I can tell you, "stepped on" and shiny beats out "stepped on" and rusty/dirty every time! ;)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Here are the pics. I did a little on the inside, but need to go further. In all honesty, its probably more "clean" than "polished", but it does have a shine that it certainly didn't have before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This pic shows the rest of the pipe, and what the exhaust tip looked like before I polished it. Quite an improvement, though with some steel wool, sandpaper, and a lot more elbow grease, I am sure I could match Jerry O's tip! :stupid:

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts