Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a bunch of threads on the Catalytic convertor issues but my question is slightly different. As far as I kow I do not have a cat problem (although I did get the code once, cleared it, and it has not come back) or any other problems with performance or mileage. But yesterday the exhaust just failed right after the cat. So it is ridiculously loud and I need to get that fixed asap.

I have 166k miles...so I am wondering how long the cat and O2 sensors can last? Do I just have a shop do the bare minimum and fix the bad parts, or should I be expecting other failures very soon, maybe already on borrowed time, and get a new cat and maybe O2 sensors now?

It is a 2000.

TIA,
Telstar.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have the pipe fixed. The rest will let you know when they need replaced. The van is on borrowed time from the day it is born.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How long have the O2 sensors been in the van? As a matter of course, I usually change them every 60k miles or so since it's possible for an O2 sensor's functionality to degrade enough to hurt performance without being bad enough to actually trip a CEL. You may have a flaky secondary (post-cat) O2 sensor, which could manifest as a cat-related code (signifying that the cat isn't working right, when in fact the O2 sensor is sending false readings to the ECU). If you've got 60k or more miles on those O2 sensors, you may well be seeing the first signs of O2 sensor failure.

And I agree with the above post as well - definitely repair the exhaust and see what happens. My suggestions are food for thought based on the service history of your van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 166K miles is on all original exhaust components. I went under there this morning before heading to work and found that the studs on the rear of the cat were disintegrated into small pointy bumps. No signs of any threads or nuts. This allowed the flanges to seperate. I lined them back up and clamped them together with a vise grip so at least I had a quiet ride to work.

Maybe I can live like this until the weekend and then see if I can drill the studs out and just bolt it all back together.

From what I read here it sound like if I went to the dealer they would want to replace the whole system and charge me something like $2000 !

I am on Long Island and it is hard to find a good muffler shop. I know of a few good mechanics but they don't really do exhaust systems.

I could also buy the OEM parts online, from the cat on back but that also gets pretty expensive and wow, that is one part, from the rear flange of the cat all the way back, and with that giant muffler? How do they even ship that? Not sure I could get that in myself without a lift. Anyone do this job in a driveway?

TIA,
Telstar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A local rad shop should be able to cut out the flanges and arc-weld in an insert pipe for less than one hour's shop charge (something like $50-$80).

·
Registered
954 Posts
166k is well above average life for the O2/cat sensors. Be ready to replace those soon. I found them online for a decent price and they are not difficult to DIY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts