Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "small" exhaust leak up around the engine. I have not yet determined the source of the leak. I suspect an exhaust component gasket is leaking.

I recall seeing a post here 1-2 years ago about a probable exhaust leak source, but I can't find that thread.

Does anyone recall that thread or have a guess at a likely exhaust leak source at the engine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the thread I was thinking about; I finally was able to find it.

EGR tube gasket

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
This is the thread I was thinking about; I finally was able to find it.

EGR tube gasket
Those things rust very quickly

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
The best way I've seen to look for exhaust leaks like that is to tape a shop vac that can blow air, or a leaf blower, to the tail pipe and then spray with soapy water and look for the bubbles. Very primitive but it works very well.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up: I had my trusty independent mechanic assess the exhaust leak. He said it is leaking in the flex bellows of what he called the Y-pipe that comes off of the exhaust manifolds and tees into the cat convertor. I believe this is what is referred to on this forum/thread as the J-pipe. (P/N 18210-SHJ-A11)

I have ordered the parts from Majestic (including 3 new gaskets) and should have them next week. Interestingly, I compared prices at Bernardi (which has free shipping) with Majestic. Majestic was significantly cheaper for all the parts ($348 vs $410 for the exhaust pipe) plus total shipping was only &16.

(My hunch/guess about the leak being the EGR tube gasket was apparently wrong.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts