Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into replacing the exhaust manifold on a '98, and there are several options. First off, the '98 is the same part number as the '95-'97.

And on Ebay the '95-'98 Ody is advertised as the same part as '94-'97 Accord.

Looking at the parts diagrams, it appears that the Accord manifold has the O2 sensor mounted in the vertical front of the manifold, while the Ody has the O2 sensor in the horizontal exhaust pipe just after the manifold. The Ebay headers have an O2 sensor port in the two pipe collector that replaces the horizontal exhaust pipe.

Do all of the Ebay headers move the O2 sensor to the horizontal pipe? Does this make sense for a reason?

There are choices on Ebay from $70 all the way to $300, chrome/stainless and ceramic coated, and some used cast manifolds. There is a promising looking used JDM Jasma that ships from Japan. The JDM Jasma looks like a direct bolt on to the horizontal exhaust pipe, but there is no provision for a heat shield.

Given that the cast seems prone to eventually cracking, it makes sense to me to go with a welded tube header style.

If the goal is to replace the cast manifold with a non cast piece, hopefully only do this once, and to keep the same noise level, what would be the best way to go?

Is there any way to mount the heat shield to anything but the stock manifold? The stock manifold has mounting bosses cast into place. Is the heat shield needed? Would it make sense to wrap with header tape before installing, to keep heat down?

Thanks in advance for all replys.

Richard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just replaced mine with a header. I was told one for the 94 to 97 accords would work also. NOT!! The down pipe was to short, the mounting flange to connect to the original pipe was also clocked wrong and would not have bolted up if it had been long enough and the header is hitting the frame support below the radiator. i had to cut off the tail end of my original down pipe and had it welded to the new header. I will have to cut the frame a small amount for clearance so it does not hit. I bought one for and f22b2. I would definitely by a header because I think a new cast one will just break again. Just make sure it will fit by contacting the seller and see what the return options are if it does not fit. I have been able to make mine work but it was way more of an effort than I expected.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I don't think I could cost effectively cut apart and weld a header that didn't fit, then grind on the van for clearance. So that leads me to a DC Sports.

The DC Sports catalog lists an HHC5012. Does that pic look correct? There is an O2 sensor bung on the driver's side of the converter flange, and the mounting bracket is on top of the converter flange.

dc sports HHC5012.jpg

Did you give any thought to the lack of a heat shield with the header? Does it make any difference, or does it get just as hot under hood with the cast manifold as a header will?

One more: I keep going back to the JDM mini header, which does not include the down pipe to the converter. What I like about this:

+ welded construction, no special ceramic coating, so it could be repaired later if needed
+ about half the price of a new DC Sports header and down pipe (but no down pipe, and no warranty)

I don't like that it ships from overseas, so if it isn't right, the return shipping would kill of any potential savings.

Is there any thought that this would necessarily bolt up to the existing down pipe on the Ody? Is there any way to tell ahead of time?

JDM Honda F22B.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Compare the distance from the flange to where it bolts up to the back of the block to where it attaches to the stock exhaust.This where I had my problem. The header you are showing in the picture looks just like the one I had a problem with. Only difference is mine was stainless and this one is ceramic coated. My odyssey was a 96 and yours is a 98 so maybe the exhaust is different on the different engines. I have an f22b2. The distance on the stock pipe was about 6 inches longer. I thought about using the stock down pipe on the header but the header was longer and the down pipe was longer so the mounting flange between the header and down pipe was lower in the engine bay and would not work. The header and down pipe on my set up had to be used as a set. I actually think the header does not build up andhold as much heat as the cast exhaust. There is just no way to use the stock heat shield on the header.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the JDM Jasma header from a guy on craigslist thinking the same thing and it is about 6 inches longer than the stock manifold. But I only paid $50.

I wanted it to work and this is what I had to do to get it to fit.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/153029-f22b-mugen-header-install.html

It helped that a friend of mine had all the correct tools.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions on how I did it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the JDM Jasma header from a guy on craigslist thinking the same thing and it is about 6 inches longer than the stock manifold. But I only paid $50.

I wanted it to work and this is what I had to do to get it to fit.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/153029-f22b-mugen-header-install.html

It helped that a friend of mine had all the correct tools.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions on how I did it.
What you did looks great. It looks like there is plenty of metal to work with, so it should hold up for years.

Questions:
1) Is there much room for error with how much you cut off (4.25")?
2) When you welded the flange on the pipes that you cut, is that angle easy to figure out?

I know a skilled fabricator can eye ball these things, but that isn't me. Easy 90 degree angles and wide slots in mounting brackets increase chances of success.

One last thing: did you see a few of these JDM headers before your CL find? I hate to go to this much effort if it would be impossible to get a replacement if needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is bringing back bad memories from last fall... The exhaust manifold on my '98 cracked and I decided I would put a header on as opposed to replacing it with another stock manifold, which all have the same flaw (tendency to crack).

I bought the DC Sports header, ceramic coated HHC5012 from Summit. Though I'm happy with it now, it was a major pain. First off, it's definitely NOT a direct bolt in replacement as the DC Sports catalog/website/people would have you believe. That's a whole other story... it shouldn't be listed for the Ody.

The deal is, DC tested their fitment on an RA1 that had an Accord exhaust system (this is what they told me on the phone). The stock Accord exhaust has an additional "Middle Pipe" between the downpipe and the cat - the Ody does not. This means that, when1. you install the DC header and downpipe, there's a roughly 6" gap before the cat, which is a problem. Since my wife relies on our van to get to work everyday (and the exhaust leak was so bad) I was getting the header on one way or another. I put the stock downpipe back on with the DC header:

Issues:
As wcornutt mentioned, there's a length (talking vertical here) issue so that
1. the whole thing hangs about 6" low
2. the bracket on the downpipe doesn't connect up to the engine bracket
3. the O2 sensor is nearly touching the intermediate shaft on the back of the motor

I did this anyway until I could get parts so that I could weld up my own entirely new exhaust system - (my Cat. was shot anyway.) Now I have a functional custom exhaust, which like, using the entire DC sports header. In the interim, I wound up bashing the low hanging downpipe (which was not connected to the bracket on the motor) into something on the parking lot at Home Depot... I had to throw the downpipe in the scrap pile and get a new O2 sensor after the original one smacked the intermediate shaft.

Learn from my blunders. Any 94-97" Accord header, as Yakuza said, should work IF you also buy a middle pipe from Honda (about $70) or get one from the junkyard. All told, I like the DC header, and there's no issue with heat (obviously, the heat shield doesn't go back on). The ceramic coating looks good enough to me. It's the same shape/fitment as the SS version, BTW.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, these responses are very helpful. crxDave cut out about 4.25 (vertical) inches from his down pipe to make the JDM header fit.

Would I be off base to assume that a '97 Accord EX down pipe (that is the twin down pipe as opposed to the DX/LX single), paired with the small pre-cat pipe, would have bolted up?

I would love to have the ingenuity and sweet fabrication skills that others on this board have. But I need a bolt up solution if this is going to work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would I be off base to assume that a '97 Accord EX down pipe (that is the twin down pipe as opposed to the DX/LX single), paired with the small pre-cat pipe, would have bolted up?
I think that if you're going to go with a header, you're going to need the downpipe that goes with that same header because, just like how the stock downpipe is too long with the top half of the headers mentioned, there could (likely will) be differences in the aftermarket brands.
If you think about it, no matter which header you go with, the dimensions of the motor will always remain the same - i.e. the distance between the exhaust ports on the top vertically down to the horizontal plane of the the rest of the exhaust/cat. What varies is the length the different manufacturers make the header assembly (top half) from exhaust ports to flange (the 3-bolt flange for the downpipe.) A shorter top half requires a longer downpipe and vice versa. Maybe we could all measure and make a mix and match list of all our header parts! :D
What you definitely will need when going with an Accord header is the pre-cat "middle" pipe you mentioned. I wish I had taken some pics of these items.
I'm thinking, get a header (though I hate DC, I do like the header) with the downpipe, get the middle pipe from Honda and you'll have a direct bolt-in. That's my best guess. Worst case, you'll bolt it on and then have to unbolt it etc. which personally would drive me nuts.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hate to dig up old thread, but before I order, is this the right one for my 97 ody
No problem bringing up the old topic. Not surprisingly, I have been dealing with issues on my ODY exhaust recently as well (see the above and an update I will post below.)
First of all, I would certainly not suggest buying that particular header from that particular seller... look at his terrible negative feedback score!

That said, you're looking at the right type of header here. Some important things to note are that a header designed for a 1994-1997 Accord (4 cylinder) will fit the engine in your Ody because they are the "same" engine. As you are familiar with (because it just cracked on you), the cast upper portion of the original exhaust is the exact same piece and part number that's used on the 94-97 Accords. The downpipe, or "B" pipe as Honda calls it, is NOT the same part number.
In my experience, that B pipe will also fit any of the 95-98 Odyssey engines (actually, I now have one on my 98 for smog purposes). The burning question will be whether it fits exactly. Like I pointed out above, DC Sports said they tested their header on a 97 Ody and it fit. Remember that, just like how I got burned, you're probably not going to be able to return a header that you tried to install, especially if it was not listed for the vehicle you bought it for.

All said, I am betting that a 94-97 Accord aftermarket header will fit just fine. The difference I would expect would be the location or angle of the O2 sensor. The "better" headers (like the DC) will come with an extension for the O2 sensor plug. You should not need different sensors, bungs or anything like that.

On edit; what else would I need to do the job, at one time? gaskets? bolts etc? bung plugs? My old cast iron manifold is cracked
What you will need are the exhaust manifold gasket and 2x donut gasket that goes between the upper and lower halves of the header (which should be included with the header.)

In terms of guaranteeing the least headache:
First choice: buy a used manifold from a 94-97 Accord/95-97 Ody from the junkyard
Second: get a decent quality header from a reputable dealer with a return policy.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts