Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't many posts in the NW forum so I hope this will be helpful to the people in the area.
I wanted an EX-L in Ocean Mist Metallic. The morning I was ready to buy there were only 3 in the entire state of WA - in Bremerton, Port Angeles and Yakima. About 1.5, 3 and 2 hour drives from where I was:)
I called multiple dealers, asked for internet managers and their best price. If they asked how much I wanted to pay I said 31000 out the door (which is about 300 over invoice with our 8.8+ tax, i.e. price before tags and title is 28300).
Here are the prices before tags and tax they offered:
- Klein Honda: Laughed at 300 over invoice. "Run for it if you see 500 over invoice". Never sent me a quote.
- HondaOfFife: 30010 (2000 over invoice)
- South Tacoma Honda: 30510
- SimsHonda: 29749 (they actually had Ocean Mist in stock).
- BurienHonda: Not interested in beating 29749.
- WilderHonda: This is the one in Port Angeles that supposedly had Ocean Mist. But their "internet manager" turned out to be the guy who fixes network and stuff, not a sales person. What's even funnier, his name is listed on HondaCars.com as internet manager:) Promised to send a quote but never did (not surprisingly).
- StirlingHonda: 29949
- BobHallsHonda (Yakima). They had the color too. Offered 30000+ but, I guess, after they figured out I'm serious sent a quote for 500 over invoice. Tony White, their internet manager, was the only straightforward and honest guy I talked to. Guess what, today I drove 2+ hours to Yakima and back. The ride home was on a brand new EX-L in Ocean Mist!
They did not have any hidden fees or anything and I paid 31000, exactly as planned - it is cheaper to buy cars in Yakima because their tax is only 8.2%, so I saved about $200 in the process.
They arranged for financing, their financial advisor tried to sell extended warranty and insurance for a bit too long but I resisted.
Oh, and I got mudflaps for free.
Basically, I would drive there again. Very satisfied. (When I read some posts about certain 'good' salespeople I found it hard to believe - the reality was too different. But now I believe that if you search you will find.)

Before this "internet round" I talked to 2 "live" sales people and their managers: in Bellevue Honda (the largest volume dealer in WA) and Kirkland Honda (closest to my home).
They both ridiculed my out the door price of 30700 but they did not have the color I wanted in stock anyway. Pretty much said "we've got to make money on Odysseys" and "go and open your own dealership if you are that smart". So they did not get the sale.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
congrats on your new ody!

just curious, why didn't you get it from sims honda? it looks like better price and instock and i think closer to you.

congrats again

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because these are the prices before tags and taxes. Sims offered 29749+t/t, and Bob Halls price was 28450+t/t (which, due to their lower taxes, was more like 28200).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you have a trade-in or did some nice soul with a day to kill give you a ride over there? :)

If a trade-in, had you negotiated the trade-in value ahead of time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
msr2k said:
Before this "internet round" I talked to 2 "live" sales people and their managers: in Bellevue Honda (the largest volume dealer in WA) and Kirkland Honda (closest to my home).
They both ridiculed my out the door price of 30700 but they did not have the color I wanted in stock anyway. Pretty much said "we've got to make money on Odysseys" and "go and open your own dealership if you are that smart". So they did not get the sale.
That was my experience with Bellevue Honda when I went looking for an Ocean Mist EX-L too. I ended up buying one from Discovery Honda in Moses Lake, for about $500 more than you paid for yours (but I got dealer cost on a bunch of accessories so I'm happy).

A question: where do you go or plan to go for regular servicing? I presume any dealer will be happy to provide service in exchange for cash regardless of where the Odyssey was purchased, but I'm wondering if the people at Bellevue Honda (which is closest to where I live) would provide as good service fro my EX-L compared to someone who actually purchased from them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my 2-week Ody to Bellevue Honda for CD changer replacement (CDs are stuck there). I got great service, they didn't care where I bough my car. In fact, they are interested in luring people from other dealerships because service generates more money in the long run than the sale.
I'll probably go for oil changes etc in Kirkland - this is closer to where I live (provided their service is good).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bob Hall Honda

Dear msr2k,

I know your real name but I will not mention it on here. My name is Tony White. The salesman you purchased the 2005 Honda Ody from. I was just reading your post and would like to thank you for the nice things you had to say about me and our dealership.

I have since had some people that seen your post call me up and order Odyssey's. You will be receiving a check here very soon.

Please remember, if there is ever anything wrong with your 2005 Honda Odyssey to give me a call or email me. I will do my best to make sure you are taken care of. I will even call the Honda Dealerships in your area to set up apointments for you.

Tell your family hello for me and once again, thank you for your kind words.

Tony White
Bob Hall's Honda & GMC
Yakima WA

PS: I also have my own website, forum and monthly newsletter if you are interested. I wont post it on here because I am not going to advertise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Information is a Powerful Tool. Use it

I also live in the northwest and tried more dealers but got different results. I purchased an 05 EX-L w Nav& DVD for MSRP. NOT $500 over. NOT $1000 over . Sorry Tony, yes I did call you. Sims Bellingham Honda was the only dealer who was real. Or just didnt really want to screw a customer.
P.S. I found a dealer who WOULD have sold for $250 BELOW MSRP so the" check is in the mail" thing sounds pretty lame Tony, unless its $1000 or more. I hope it wasn't a relative or a friend or worse yet someone who reads this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Information is a Powerful Tool. Use it

Hary Gahtoe said:
I also live in the northwest and tried more dealers but got different results. I purchased an 05 EX-L w Nav& DVD for MSRP. NOT $500 over. NOT $1000 over . Sorry Tony, yes I did call you. Sims Bellingham Honda was the only dealer who was real. Or just didnt really want to screw a customer.
P.S. I found a dealer who WOULD have sold for $250 BELOW MSRP so the" check is in the mail" thing sounds pretty lame Tony, unless its $1000 or more. I hope it wasn't a relative or a friend or worse yet someone who reads this forum.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with other dealerships. I do not recall dealing with you. But I could be wrong. I know I have never sold a car for MSRP unless they where just released, such as the new 2006 Honda Civics. As for ODY's. We hardly ever sell them at MSRP. Average is $500-$1500 over invoice.

But none the less. We can not satisfy every customer out there in the market 100% of the time. Anyone that deals with the public and in retail know this. But we do strive to do our best. All I ask is the opportunity to make the wrong . . . Right.

Congratulations to all of those who are owners!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I notice you called Stirling Honda, which is where I purchased mine last year (Oct). Being they were still so new, noone in the Seattle area would even come close to MSRP, much less going below it, but the guys at Stirling quoted me almost $1000 below MSRP right off the bat, so I jumped on it. I knew they had the exact model I wanted in stock (talked to the dealer in Oregon who traded it to them) so I went down and got it right away. Had some of the local dealers laugh when I asked them to match the price, and one even said if I could get it that low, to buy two.
I don't remeber if I checked any dealers in Yakima though, but I am sure at that time, they were still over MSRP as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hary - do you really mean MSRP? Or Invoice? If you got EXL with Nav+DVD for invoice, this is an awesome deal. If for MSRP - not so good, as vrsurplus mentioned.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kirkland and Bellevue Honda have the same owners.

I just finished shopping for a 2006 EX.

My tips: Avoid Kirkland Honda. I guess I can't legally say anything bad, but the sales guy was quite insulting. $3100 over MSRP, because "Hondas are rare"

Lynnwood Honda is TOP NOTCH. I mean this is not only a full service dealer, they will haggle low as well. At first entering, you might think they charge more than Volvo, very excellent dual waiting areas, parts and service counters and fairly huge service bay.

Anyone experience Lynnwood Honda?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought my EXL w/res & nav from Kirkland Honda for $600 over invoice. I might have been able to do better but I told the salesman (Alan P - highly recommended) that that's what I wanted to spend and if it sounded like it would work for him to let me know and I'd swing by and pick it up.

He had the car all ready for our test ride and I have to say we had the smoothest buying experience I've ever had on a car. No hidden costs, no push from anyone at all. EASY

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking for an EX-L as well and am having trouble getting the dealers to come off their initial offer. Everyone is offering almost the exact same price of $29,758.43 which they claim is $1,500 over invoice. They get there by adding the $550 destination fee to the invoice of $27,708. I've gotten this from Honda of Seattle, Burien, South Tacoma, Hinshaw's, and Renton. Renton is supposed to be the Costco dealer and they claim $1,500 over invoice is the Costco price. How can this be true? Is it true?

My question: how do I get them to take me seriously and bring this down to something more reasonable (for me) like $500 over invoice? And is the destination fee really *not* negotiable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have emailed them but have not gotten a hard offer. They emailed back something generic so I replied with more specifically what I was looking to get. I haven't heard back and maybe that's because my request was too low for them (OTD for $30K) but I fully expected to pay a little more than I asked. Don't we all?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was actually looking at purchasing another Ody last week and I think you should contact the Yakima honda dealership. He seemed to be the one most willing to deal.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought my EX-L (Slate Green) yesterday and took delivery today.

Thanks, DanHo, for the advice on calling Tony White @ Bob Hall Honda in Yakima. Although I didn't end up getting it from him he was by far the best person I talked to. Called me back immediately, emailed me even sooner, gave me quotes in writing, and even got me a little more on my trade in when I asked for it (sight unseen). The only reason I didn't buy from him was that he didn't have an EX-L in stock and I would have had to wait 2-3 weeks. Tony, get your manager to get you some cars to sell!:D clearly your talent is being wasted ;)

My story (briefly, sort of):

Thanks to the forum I actually had a plan of action and I can't thank you all enough for that.

I test drove an EX-L last week, loved it, and decided to take the plunge. I emailed my local dealers in the Seattle area to get initial quotes and make contacts. One mistake I made here was that I said I wanted to buy in the next month or so. As soon as I changed that to "as soon as possible" I started getting lots of calls and emails back.

Those that responded, if they had a price, were the same: $29,758.43, or $1,500 over invoice (including dest. fee). A couple were more than this. Even the so called "Costco discount" offered by Renton Honda was $29,758.43. How can they claim this is a discount when everyone in the area *starts* at that number? That ticked me off.

Then I took DanHo's advice and emailed Tony requesting a quote. He emailed back immediately and called me 2 minutes later. I mentioned that I had seen him recommended on this site and was looking to get the same deal he'd given to others, $500 over invoice or $28,758. We agreed to that but he needed to check his inventory for the colors I was interested in. Turned out he had no EX-Ls on the lot but would get them in 2-3 weeks and would have the exact car I wanted. We then agreed to a price for the trade in and he got me a little more on this when I pointed out KBB's price was higher than he initially quoted. I was excited about the deal but decided to give my local dealer a chance to match the offer if they had a car in stock I could get right away. I was prepared to walk out if they couldn't match the deal and I would have called Tony immediately to reserve the car for me to pick up later in the month.

I called Honda of Kirkland and they had one in stock, actually they had all 3 colors I was interested in. So I gave them a shot and went down to see if we could work a deal.

I worked with Marcus Eicher and he was very good. Up front, laid back, didn't try to pressure me. He wore out a path to the manager's office as we agreed to the terms. They eventually matched the trade in and the price of $500 over invoice so I agreed to the deal. I ended up with the Slate Green (although it looks more blue in some light) as it had 2 miles on it and had just come off the truck.

I felt badly about not working with Tony but the prospect of getting the van the next day (and not having to make the 2 hour each way drive to Yakima on a Saturday with a 3 month old baby) was too good to pass up.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I read a lot of info and it helped more than I even realized it would.

Some random observations:
- Why do dealers bother offering extended care warranties at $2,495 to start and then drop the price $900 (the "Employee Price") on the second try? Then they drop it another $200 (the "Dealer Cost") on the third try? I didn't buy the warranty because, after reading this site, I knew I could get it later from someone else and cheaper. The impression they give is that you would have been a total Jacka$$ to have accepted the first price! And if they're willing to take that much off, almost cutting the price in half, how over-priced is the warranty?? How over-priced are the cars?! This is terrible business, IMO.

- Never having bought a Honda before I was very surprised at the overall dealer experience. I assumed, incorrectly, that this would be an upfront, easy, comfortable process. If I hadn't found this site this would have been a nightmare for someone like me that hates confrontation and bargaining like this. Guess it's just my inexperience in this sort of thing. I've always gotten the GM employee price on cars as my dad worked there, but their vans stink so it wasn't an option this time around. Individuals like Tony and Marcus might be good but with so many dealers out there the overall impression is not the best.

- The finance guy flat out lied to me when I asked if I had to buy the extended warranty right now or if I could do it later. He said I had to do it at the time of sale then, when I picked up the car the next day, he said they were running a promotion (1st I ever heard of it) where I had 30 days to buy the warranty at the same price he quoted me (7yr/100K/$0 for $1294).

- I was also never told about the dealership offering a Limited Powertrain Warranty for 7yr/100K on new cars until 4/15/06. I think it was an oversite, or I may have just not heard correctly. But the fact is I still don't know what this is and will need to call them to get more info on it.

Overall, I'm glad I got the van and I hope I'll love it. I was happy with Honda of Kirkland, they were fairly easy to work with. But I was disappointed at the gymnastics I had to go through to get to my final price. Not sure I got the best deal I could have but there's no use second guessing it now. It was what I was willing to pay so that's all that matters on that.

And Tony White @ Bob Hall Honda in Yakima was great. I would highly recommend giving him a call. If he's got the car, go for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oily Pablo - I just checked my email and my initial quote from Lynnwood Honda was for $30,543, by far the highest of the bunch.

Not saying they didn't treat you right or wouldn't have treated me well in the end. But their starting point was not encouraging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts