Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with them, and how it went.

I've been trying to purchase a video system for my Odyssey as a birthday present for my wife. Autotoys seems to have a good selection of equipt. at decent prices, but I have some technical questions before I purchase. Toyman seems to follow these forums and has always had an interest in helping, so I addressed my questions to him both at this site and directly through the autotoys site.

When I received a reply, it stated that they would answer the questions in their forums. When I pointed out to them it might be easier to answer directly (only purchasers can access their forums), I was told I'd receive an answer in this forum. A week later, with no further response, either here or to a third email I sent, I am not very optimistic about ever receiving a response, and am nearly out of time to buy any video system for my wife.

I noticed I'm not the only one being ignored by Toyman. A very specific question from nedlyj, posted earlier than mine, about an item autotoys sells has also gone unanswered.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I purchased my Pioneer speakers and 4" baffles from Autotoys. Prices and shipping times were good - my only nitpicking point with them is that they've got the *most* confusing web site I've ever visited. It's confusing to navigate; every page seems too cluttered; and as Frank pointed out, you can't join their online forums until after you've made a purchase! Perhaps concurrent with the in-house upgrade to faster machines will come a redesign of their web pages?

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
I purchased my Pioneer speakers and 4" baffles from Autotoys. Prices and shipping times were good - my only nitpicking point with them is that they've got the *most* confusing web site I've ever visited. It's confusing to navigate; every page seems too cluttered; and as Frank pointed out, you can't join their online forums until after you've made a purchase! Perhaps concurrent with the in-house upgrade to faster machines will come a redesign of their web pages?

</font>
I wholeheartedly agree; a very confusing site. The only other thing I would add is that I thought the shipping prices were somewhat high. $9.95 for a pair of speakers, UPS, ground.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd be willing to bet Toyman could swing some kind of deal for odyclub members. I'm going to be spending close to $1,000 on them in the next month or so, so I agree they should offer free shipping or some other kind of perk to go with them. Trevor offers deals almost every month...including discounting the iVES the week he got it! *That* was cool even though I decided against buying that system.

Whatta ya say, Toyman? Toss us a bone here and we'll be your loyal dogs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think odythedog was just messin' with us.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
59 Posts
In general, I've had good service from them. Inquiries via email have generally be answered within a day or so. I would agree with Chuck regarding shipping. I ordered an item that weighs about 2 pounds and got charged with a $13 shipping. Seems excessive.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
14 Posts
Frank - Thanks for mentioning my post. I too was hot and heavy towards getting a video unit for my wife, but with no response from toyman, and no one at autotoys who can provide me with any information on the unit they carry, I'm now extremely reluctant to buy it - or anything else. And my wife's birthday has now come and gone. Since Toyman is apparently "back" in our midst now - hopefully he will reply to both our other threads. but so far they still remain unanswered. And I don't want to post them again and get everyone mad for leaving multiple posts on the same issue. Toyman???

------------------
'99 MB EX, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Cargo Mat, Leather Steering wrap,
Cassette deck, Cross bars, floor mats, custom carpet

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nedlyj- I know exactly how you feel. I've got a whole 3 days before my wife's birthday and no time to shop. Once it's past, I'll lose some of the incentive to spend the money on a video system.

No insult to Toyman or autotoys- I'd really like to patronize someone who sponsors this website, and I appreciate the "no pressure" sales policy, but I always feel like buying mail-order is enough of a craps-shoot; I get really nervous when it's hard to get attention BEFORE a purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi All,
I'm a new Ody owner (DEP EX, no-navi), lots of experience with audio, and have enjoyed reading many of the ODYCLUB forums. Thanks to all... and I hope to post on many of these forums as time goes by...

I have purchased from Autotoys probably a half dozen times. I've been very happy with their sales and support.

Items come double boxed with anti-tamper tape, and they always ship fast (if in stock). I had one defective item come my way, and I sent it back to get a replacement in less than a week (UPS 2nd day sent back!).
If you order one or two low priced items, shipping can be high. However, purchase a CD changer or a bunch of stuff, shipping is alot more reasonable. (i.e.- CD changer OEM kit is free shipping)

When sending email, they usual respond within a day, and they can give you "package" pricing if you put together an entire audio system.

I agree the website needs some work, but it is functional when you get used to it. However, expect SLOW downloads, esp. if you use a dialup connection.

Not sure if they still do this, but they have a "VIP" section for past customers, where they offer special deals and other items they do not traditionally offer on the standard website.

Overall, I like them alot, and would purchase from them again. I saw lots of posts by toyman on these forums, and was impressed that they have someone that is actually taking the time to post here.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I placed an order a few days ago and I haven't received any confirmation except they've billed my credit card (via PayPal).

I had a request to have the speakers to be delivered by Monday. I don't think that's happening.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I purchased a pair of Pioneer 1665's, a pair of Pioneer 1086's, and a pair of 4" baffles from Autotoys a couple of weeks ago. I think I placed the order on Wednesday and they were delivered (in a battered box, by UPS (Unreliable Parcel Smashers)) on Monday. Not bad service overall.

While their shipping prices may seem high, they're not as bad as some other sites. One that advertised better prices wanted $27 to ship the speakers via ground UPS.

Also, Autotoys offers free shipping to odyclub members (might just be on orders over $100).

I'd buy from them again.

Mel

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with them, and how it went."

Here's my limited experience...I learned about them via this post so I checked them out. I was excited to see they offer three flavors of OEM changer kits at attractive prices but the web pages are very confusing and presented loads of conflicting information.

One kit has a sentence that says "click for applications" but there is nothing to click. One kit said it was the same as another kit just with an aux input, yet the picture of the radio was a Bose with no Honda in sight - not real inspiring that it really was a Honda kit. All kits say they work with radios with an AM/CD button or a Mode button...I have neither (yet my radio was pictured in two of the items). None of the kits mention what brand of changer is included (appears not to be Alpine) or the dimensions to determine if they fit under the seat.

No big deal, just give 'em a call for clarification, right? Well, there is no phone number I can find, e-mail is the only contact method. I sent mail on Saturday requesting clarification, expecting a response today...nada as of 9:30pm PDT. I just ordered from someplace else. I did spend more but at least I know without question what I am getting will work in an Odyssey!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In these times of rapid electronic access to information and people, I sometimes think we're spoiled and unreasonable in expecting instant gratification of our every whim.

However, I don't think nedlyj (original post 7/13) and I (original post 7/17) have been impatient in expecting an answer in something less than 3 -4 weeks. I was(am?) planning on spending approx. $1000 on a video system, but want to make damn sure it suits my installation needs. As texneus has pointed out, email or this forum are the only means to obtain any sort of pre-sale support.

Maybe toyman and the folks at autotoys are too busy to answer, or we're not a green enough pasture, or... who knows?

It's a shame the Honda iVES is not really what I need/want; my experience with Trevor Allen at H and A has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I've been out of touch for a few weeks here, but as Frank points out I didn't think 3 or 4 weeks for an answer was an unreasonable request. I see tonight that neither post has ever been replied to.

Oh well, my urge to spend $1000 (and several days of painful installation) has now passed. Not that I was going to be an impulse buyer, but I WAS ready to fork over a rather large sum of money on a non-essential item that I now won't be buying. And I'm still on the fence about the Ives system too.

At this point I'll rent a portable from Survive-the-drive for my upcoming trip and only spend $100. Sorry Toyman, it's not that we *won't* buy from Autotoys, but this time you guys did actually lose $2K (Frank and me) simply by not responding. Win some, lose some....

------------------
'99 MB EX, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Cargo Mat, Leather Steering wrap,
Cassette deck, Cross bars, floor mats, custom carpet

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Well, I've been out of touch for a few weeks here...I see tonight that neither post has ever been replied to."

To be fair Autotoys *did* respond to my questions Tuesday sometime, but the responce was so sketchy it just served to create more questions. They never even confirmed (or denied) that the kits would work with the stock Odyssey radio and I'm pretty sure I asked that question point blank. Too little, too late.

I imagine if I were to pursue this further it would be another two day wait for a response, rinse and repeat. If there was a support phone number this could have been taken care of Monday in about 5 minutes and I very likely would have ordered something right then. Better yet, if the web page was clear on the subject I'd have ordered it Saturday.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It might be too late to ask but what the heck. What questions do you have about putting a video in your ODY? I sell and install video on new ODY's all the time. What were your concern's? If I can help let me know.

DanDan

·
Registered
148 Posts
I apoligize if we were not able to answer your questions in time.

I did promise to visit these forums regularly. This I did not do.

I do hope that you can make an informed decision and when the time comes, your purchase will be from autotoys.com -

There are no priorities (other than to our current customers) when we answer email or when visiting forums.

Basically, if you have a question here about a product we do not carry and I can help you. I will.

If you want to purchase a 4 pack of connectors on sale for $.50 cents or want to buy a $4000.00 Navigation/DVD system, your question will get the same amount of attention.

Our servers were slightly affected by Code Red last month. On July 19th, our servers were almost complete inaccessible and on the day afterwards, partly accessible. We have been playing catch-up with email and contact issues since we were down a few days.

A hundred or 2 hundred emails a day add up pretty quickly.

If you emailed us recently, (beginning of this week), your email probably was answered within 3-4 hours. If you use our customer forums, your question is usually answered 3 hrs or sooner.

Our ship times never changed. We ship your products quickly. Orders received as late as 3pm were shipped out the same day if in stock (and we are on eastern time).

I do value your suggestions and opinions, no offense was taken -- and if there is any other opinions or suggestions you like to share with me -- I will gladly listen.

------------------

Here to help

1 - 20 of 32 Posts